Wondering when Spring Break is...

languageartslady

I am going on a cruise soon, during the Spring Break of my school district (I am a teacher). I was thinking that our school has an unusual week for spring break (March 30-April 4) and I was wondering if that's really the case?

I know there's a chance I'll be on the ship with some of my students, but I was sort of hoping to avoid children.

Anyway, I would love to know when your local schools have Spring Break this year...

Thanks!

Our local schools (Northern Chicago Suburb in Lake County IL.) is off that same week and I think a good percentage, if not the majority, of schools in the whole Chicago area are as well.

I think that for K through 12 you'll find that while that might not be the only week of spring break around the country it is as least as big as any other week for spring breaks.

Hi languagelady,

I'm an English teacher from southern Maine and wanted to let you know that I'm jealous that your spring break is before mine! We are SO ready for our cruise. DH is a teacher as well....we are counting the days!!!

My DH and I are teachers and are cruising April 20 on HAL / Eurodam and are SO ready for the warm weather.

You will LOVE Celebrity. Don't assign too much written work so that you have to deal with that before or after the cruise, ok?

Have a FABULOUS time and forget about school for a week. Wishing you sunny days and warm weather. I'm sick of the snow here in Maine.

Have a wonderful cruise! Remember...NO work for when you return. May you have a stress free vacation. Have a great time.

My wife is a teacher and I'm a retired teacher. We always travel during her spring break, which is March 21 -- 29 this year. Next year it will be a week earlier. Our district is 80,000 + students.

Good luck,

Kel:)

Thanks, ME Guide! I am SO looking forward to the cruise this year! I teach 6th grade language arts (as you might have guessed!) and while I love the kids, it's time for a break! Plus, on Tuesday of next week is FCAT (the Florida standardized test). I am SO ready for this cruise!

I was told today at our department meeting that I was "expected" to grade 125+ essays from students that aren't mine over Spring Break. I was like, NOT happening!

Otherwise, I am not assigning anything that needs in-depth grading, because of FCAT and the fact that all of our brains are mush.

I hope you have a great time, too!

Thanks everyone for answering my question. Looks like there will be some kids on board...

But I expect that most families with kids will be on Disney or Carnival or Royal Caribbean, so I should be fine.

Or I'll spend lots of time in the solarium!

(Thanks, Kelmac! Have fun on your cruise!)

You get out a whole week for Mardi Gras?? I teach in the wrong school system!

It is a private school. A whole week for winter break, a whole week for spring break, a week for Thanksgiving and about 2 weeks at Christmas, plus those other 1 day holidays mixed in. We get out less during the summer but I like the longer holidays, especially Mardi Gras - a great time for DisneyWorld or other normally crowded places.

That's AWESOME. I think it would be particularly good for the kids. They seem to be so much more focused whenever we have a break.

I agree. Here is a link that might help you as well. It shows the spring breaks for most of the colleges/universities as well as their enrollment. It is updated every year.

http://www.tripsmarter.com/panamacity/springbreak/sbcalendar.htm

I agree. Here is a link that might help you as well. It shows the spring breaks for most of the colleges/universities as well as their enrollment. It is updated every year.

http://www.tripsmarter.com/panamacity/springbreak/sbcalendar.htm

Thanks! That was extremely interesting. I am SO glad I am not going March 16-20! 2.1 million freed college students scares me.

We are going March 15 on a HAL cruise. That's when my DH's spring break is from the community college where he teaches. It's our first cruise over spring break. I'm hoping HAL's reputation plus restrictions on who can book and who can drink will keep it from being a party boat.

Our home town's biggest university has spring break this week (March 2-6). Duke and UNC have theirs next week. Our public schools scheduled spring break for April 6-10. We just had a couple of snow days that will be made up April 6-7. There was an article in the paper about some families continuing with their vacations plans even though their kids will have to miss two days of school.

Our home town's biggest university has spring break this week (March 2-6). Duke and UNC have theirs next week. Our public schools scheduled spring break for April 6-10. We just had a couple of snow days that will be made up April 6-7. There was an article in the paper about some families continuing with their vacations plans even though their kids will have to miss two days of school.

Oh, that would really irritate me! As a teacher, I mean... having to make up days during Spring Break. I don't think I'd be able to take off those make up days (due to my contract, and the fact I would have already been paid for them, so I'd have to forfeit two days... SO complicated!) so I'm not sure what would happen with my cruise.

We, thankfully, don't ever have snow days. But we do make up hurricane days... all the time!

My kids' break is 4/3-4/13, and we will be cruising on Celebrity. I've read that there tend to be more kids on Celebrity during the spring break, which is good for us, but in your case, I hope there aren't so many that it detracts from your vacation.

Have fun!

Our spring break, Osceola County Florida, gets off April 4-12th

which I have found out is alot different than other central florida schools, which is nice. Too bad we wont be home for my daughter to enjoy the un-crowdedness, instead we will be off on a cruise to the southern caribbean!

Archived