County Club Casual?

Lsb58

First time poster, first time Regent cruiser. I and 7 family members are going to Alaska on the Mariner. I know the dress code has been discussed adnauseam, but I'm still unsure about what to wear in the evenings. Not being a member of any country club, I am unsure what "country club casual" really means. I'm also confused about the term "informal night". Taken at face value I would think it meant casual, but in the context I've seen it used it makes me wonder. I would really appreciate input from those of you who have been on the Mariner to Alaska so I and the other members of my family can pack with confidence. We are a group of 3 men and 5 women, ages 50-83.

PS....should I have posted this using the "reply" button in the current "Dress Code in Alaska" thread? Thanks.

I'm sure nobody will mind you having your own thread!

I don't belong to a country club either, can't imagine it. CCC is "smart casual". Normally it's the kind of thing you might wear to a garden party, perhaps, or out for dinner on a summer's evening. In Alaska I suspect it veers more towards plaid shirts and fleece. Casual pants or a skirt, a nice shirt or top.

"Informal" means that the guys have to wear a sports jacket, and are asked to wear a tie (but many don't.) For the guys, dressier pants instead of khakis maybe, and for the women, a slightly more glamorous dress, or pant outfit. A cocktail dress would not be out of order, but not required.

But don't sweat it, as long as you look nice, and don't wear jeans in the dining room, you'll be good to go. And don't overpack. Since the destination can be cold, you will want your layered outerwear, which takes lots of room in the suitcase. Mariner does have self-service laundries, so you can wash a couple of shirts when you need to.

Thank you Wendy! Now I finally know what "informal" really means: less than formal, but dressier than CCC. It will be a challenge not to overpack. I understand the Alaska weather is a real crap shoot. I will follow the wise advice of layer, layer, then layer!

Something to be aware of, is that Regent somewhat recently "banned" golf shirts as being Country Club Casual. I do belong to a golf club and the men wear the shirts to informal dinners...apparently what Regent wants is collared shirts that button all the way down the front and not the "polo" variety that have 3 or 4 buttons at the top!! Seems like hair splitting to me, but there you go.

So - Country Club Casual evenings. Khakis/chinos/any slacks except jeans OK for men. Short sleeved shirts (with buttons all the way down the front) or long sleeved similiar. No ties. For women, trousers, skirts, sweaters, blouses etc. "Informal" - jackets and preferably ties for men, no jeans. Dresses or pants suits for women. You won't have "formal" evenings in Alaska so no worries about them.

I thought that the situation was more like this: they mention "no golf shirts" in their literature, and in the printed dress guidelines that you get with your documents. But...lots of men wear them, and there has never been a problem with them on board.

I just can't imagine not seeing some onboard, even at dinner.

My son has often worn nice polo shirts to dinner on Regent. These would definitely meet the dress code at the country club we used to belong to (before my husband became addicted to ranching and had time for golf). My husband is a very boring dresser. He always wears button down dress shirts (with or without jacket) when he is not at the ranch. These work fine for CCC. For informal nights, he adds a sports coat.

I like fancy--so I bring pretty dresses and pants with cute tops. They work for both.

For formal nights, I wear nice cocktail dresses, and the husband and boy wear dark suits since neither owns a tux.

First time poster, first time Regent cruiser. I and 7 family members are going to Alaska on the Mariner. I know the dress code has been discussed adnauseam, but I'm still unsure about what to wear in the evenings. Not being a member of any country club, I am unsure what "country club casual" really means. I'm also confused about the term "informal night". Taken at face value I would think it meant casual, but in the context I've seen it used it makes me wonder. I would really appreciate input from those of you who have been on the Mariner to Alaska so I and the other members of my family can pack with confidence. We are a group of 3 men and 5 women, ages 50-83.

PS....should I have posted this using the "reply" button in the current "Dress Code in Alaska" thread? Thanks.

We have been on a few Regent ships and cruises and I can say this (as an obedient husband and observent male) just don't be a slob. Clean long pants (no jeans) a belt, a shirt with a collar (I have seen lots of "polos") and decent shoes and you should be good to go. If you are intimidated by men dressed fancier than you are, bring the tux. But really --- the idea is to look nice (and in my case I just always ask my wife if I look "nice" and if she says yes I am good to go; if she hesitates in the slightest I know I have to go back to the drawing board =) As long as you look "nice" and act the part, no one on Regent is going to throw you out. Relax and have a good time (just don't put the lamp shade on your head on an "informal" night =)

If there is a ban on polo or golf shirts as appropriate dining room attire, no one has called it to our attention, and we leave for the Navigator's FUN cruise in less than a week. Even to Alaska or other places with no formal or informal nights, may I suggest men bring (or wear while traveling) a blazer and some long slacks, even khakis, to cope with cooler nights and "Dress Codes". Where formal and informal nights are scheduled, bring a dark blazer, a pair of (at least near) matching slacks, a dress shirt and tie, khakis, a few casual shirts, and you will be able to deal with any dress requirement they hit you with, with no strain on baggage limits. Or if you prefer, bring the formal wear with all of its accoutrements and dress fancy, it really is up to you!

The "ban" on polo shirts emerged this winter when Regent's dress code suddenly included a statement that polo shirts were not acceptable for CCC. There was quite a bit of discussion on the boards at the time!

I just checked the new website and there is no reference under FAQ's to the dress code and for my cruise at least the dress code has been removed from the itinerary. I hope this means that polo shirts have been re-instated as OK because my husband likes to wear them (!), but this is not clear.

I just checked the new website and there is no reference under FAQ's to the dress code and for my cruise at least the dress code has been removed from the itinerary. I hope this means that polo shirts have been re-instated as OK because my husband likes to wear them (!), but this is not clear.

It's still there, under Cruise Questions, Before You Sail, "What Should I Pack?":

Q: What should I pack?

A: Attire ranges from casual to formal. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime on board or ashore, and consists of resort-style outfits. Casual wear, including shorts and jeans, is not considered appropriate after 6:00 p.m. Evening attire can be Country Club Casual, Informal or Formal. Country Club Casual consists of skirt or slacks with a blouse or sweater for women, and slacks and collared shirts for men (no golf shirts). Appropriate Informal wear includes dresses or pantsuits for women, and jackets and collared shirts for men (ties strongly recommended). Formal evening wear includes gowns and cocktail dresses, tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits.

As a previous poster said. "Wear what you want as long as it looks nice". No jeans or shorts

after 6 pm. Don't worry they are not going to say anything.

I know. Been there done that. And will again this coming Wednesday aboard the Navigator.

This is not a big deal aboard the ship!!

Something else to keep in mind (not to do with the polo shirt problem) is that the weather in Alaska really depends a lot on where you are coming from. I have always lived in the Boston area and didn't need half the stuff I brought with me (AND, I'm always cold at home). Others, who came from the Southern States were bundled up on coats and hats and even gloves...we were in jackets or sweaters. Just stoke yourself with hot Cocoa and you'll be fine! ;)

Three button polo/golf shirts are absolutely fine for CCC nights. My husband was one of MANY who wore them on our cruise in January.

Hey Cruzndiz,

I followed your post when you were on the Mariner in January, as we were thinking about doing an Alaskan cruise on the Mariner, which we have finally booked one. Where was your cabin on the Mariner, if you don't mind me asking. I have heard about some vibrations. What were the things you like best and least about the Mariner. I can't wait to try the Prime, they had a different restaurant on the Voyager. Any information would be appreciated.

Hope all is well since your return. I so enjoyed reading your blog as well. You might consider a new line of work as a cruise critic :p

Archived