seat upgrades

Bibi

Anybody know how to get an upgrade at the airport? :D
I got one once just by asking. When I asked how much I was told that someone had to be upgraded, so there was no charge.

Now I just book the seat I want and pay the extra for it.

Anybody know how to get an upgrade at the airport? :D

Yes, throw away your coach ticket, and purchase one in business or first.

Unless you are an elite member of the airline's frequent flyer club, it's not going to happen. Even then, it's iffy, depending upon the number of elites, the routes and how full the plane is.

You will not be upgraded if you dress nicely, smile at the gate agent or tell someone it's your anniversary/honeymoon/birthday. Money talks so get your wallet out to move up.

Why are you people always so sarcastic? It seems it is the same people who give these snarky answers on these boards. Didnt your mother ever tell you if you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all? If you dont have an honest, helpful answer to a question, keep your snide, uppity opinions to yourselves.....nobody wants to read them.

I'll try not to be snarky, but it's an effort ;)

Some airlines do indeed allow airport upgrades. Alaska Airlines, for example, sells upgrades at the airport (if there's space available, which there usually isn't) for any flight. http://www.alaskaair.com/as/mileageplan/First-Class-Upgrades.asp

British Airways frequently will offer upgrades from coach to premium economy at the airport, often for an extra US$300-$500 or Sterling equivalent one way, which all in is typically cheaper than buying a premium economy seat to begin with.

American Airlines sells upgrades at the check-in kiosk for travelers who have elite status (Gold or above) or who are flying in the higher-priced economy fare categories.

These are just examples, most airlines have similar options, although they're only available if there's space in the premium cabin and/or if the underlying fare "bucket" for the existing ticket is high enough to qualify for upgrades.

If, of course, the OP's question was along the lines of "What should I wear/say/do to get a free upgrade at the airport?" then be ready for snarkiness.

Why are you people always so sarcastic? It seems it is the same people who give these snarky answers on these boards. Didnt your mother ever tell you if you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all? If you dont have an honest, helpful answer to a question, keep your snide, uppity opinions to yourselves.....nobody wants to read them.

I guess everyone reads things in a different way, and some people are more touchy/defensive, etc. than others. I saw nothing but honest and helpful remarks here. You won't get an upgrade without space being available and you paying for it, with status or cash.

When did the truth become uppity and snide? Why read something that upsets you?

Wow. I didnt expect to start a controversy! Honestly, I asked the question because I read on MSN that upgrades can be had at the airport but when I tried to click the link for the next page (which had the answer,) the link didnt work!

It was a legitimate question. I wasnt asking what I should wear, or how I should act. I simply thought someone might be able to fill me in.

As for watermelon5's response, I did see some "snarkiness" in some responses as well, thanks for the thought. As for paying for upgrades....well duh. I think that is obvious and the obvious does not need to be stated thank you.

To the rest of you.....thanks for trying to help. Happy cruising! ;)

As for paying for upgrades....well duh. I think that is obvious and the obvious does not need to be stated thank you.

Actually, it often does.

It seems that amongst the non-regular travelling public there is some myth (that has been perpetuated by the internet) that gives some credibility to the fact that asking nicely, dressing smartly, claiming you are a friend of the CEO and even more ludicrous things will increase the chance, if not guarantee, you

an upgrade.

I got the impression (because of the wink and the fact you didn't specify the paying side of things) that your question was hinting towards such suggestions.

It seems that amongst the non-regular travelling public there is some myth (that has been perpetuated by the internet) that gives some credibility to the fact that asking nicely, dressing smartly, claiming you are a friend of the CEO and even more ludicrous things will increase the chance, if not guarantee, you an upgrade.

I got the impression (because of the wink and the fact you didn't specify the paying side of things) that your question was hinting towards such suggestions.

That is the way that I had read it.

There is a little underlying truth in the myth. Actually being a friend of airport-based airline staff, or a friend of a friend, can sometimes get you upgrades. Actually being a friend of the CEO can do that, too. But that's about as far as it goes. (And if staff upgrade you just because you're a friend, the cabin crew tend to know it and treat you accordingly - so I won't do it any more.)

But the stuff that's peddled on the Internet about asking nicely for one: that's as likely as not to get you marked as Not Suitable For Upgrade. Airline staff hear such requests thousands of time every day. Unfortunately, too many people who fly very infrequently think that their trip is special, and think they ought to be treated specially. But to the airline and the airline staff, neither the trip nor the passenger is special - you really are just a number to be processed.

• 1 month later...

(With apologies to Bibi; this is not at all directed to you)

You can consider some members who posted "upppity" if you want. You can tell others not to post unless it's to the standards to which you have apparently decided we all must adhere. You can even scold others--regardless of the fact that doing so means you are guilty of what you complain others are doing. But you cannot decide for everyone else that "nobody" wants to read those posts. If such posts bother you, skip them. Unless the mods tell us we've committed a no-no, we are free to express our opinions, even if they are sarcastic or even snarky from time to time. May I ask why you have taken it upon yourself to tell everyone else how to post? Sounds like all you want on the forums is "yes" or "no" or nothing. (I base this on your specialty restaurant poll in addition to this thread.) If you're looking for that, you will not find it here.

If you find a post that is out of bounds of the forum rules, by all means use the triangle and report it to the mods. They will decide whether the post should be deleted and if the member should be given a time out.

Back on topic:

Bibi: Sorry to say that the MSN article would probably not given you much help. That's the kind of "teaser" that the networks love to use, but that is pretty useless most of the time. The truth is that there really isn't much you can do at the airport to get an upgrade because pretty much everyone in economy would love to be upgraded to business or first class. With most flights being full or overbooked these days and with the decrease in flight schedules, an open seat is a rare thing. Used to be that when they needed seats for an overbooked flight, they'd often offer cash or free ticket incentives and also throw in an upgrade on whatever later flight they found for you. My parents did that a couple of times: Small cash amount, free tix, meal vouchers, and an upgrade. Nice. That's pretty much a thing of the past. I suppose that if you book the least popular flight times, then you might have a tiny chance of receiving an upgrade at the airport. Other than that, I'm afraid not.

beachchick

Wow. I didnt expect to start a controversy! Honestly, I asked the question because I read on MSN that upgrades can be had at the airport but when I tried to click the link for the next page (which had the answer,) the link didnt work!

;)

Hi Bibi:

You will find this happens sometimes on here. Poster was correct you just don't read further. I have done the same. And then, sometimes I do read them because it brings a good laugh as to the way we are all so different in our thoughts and opinions.

I don't think someone said this, but sorry if they did. It also can depend on what class of ticket you buy initially. We are booked on Delta and we have good price, but at this time to change to first class between now and at gate would be very very expensive due to the class of ticket we bought. We toyed with the idea and decided to grin and bear it.

My answer is also $$$$. Sometimes paid upgrades are available for surprisingly low cost. It just depends on how full your flight is...the closer it is to departure time the more likely the price will drop. (Just as often the upgrade cost will be shockingly high). Some airlines such as UA will offer upgrades at their automated check-in kiosk and will show the price. If it seems to high, proceed to the gate and ask a gate agent right before boarding begins.

Another option is programs such as United's Access Pass. For $400 it allows you and a traveling companion to be seated in Econ+ if seats are available. It's good for a year. We used it on a long flight to/from Japan; even though we didn't use it again that year, $200 per person RT for the "upgrade" was much less expensive than we would have paid at the airport.

I went back and looked for this "article". Found this on MSN:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19051867/

About as useless as it comes. Must have been a slow news day and the editor was asleep and let it pass.

Quite. I mean they start by mentioning 'first class on Virgin Atlantic' which doesn't exist! Besides not all 'first class' (sic) passengers do not all get complimentary limos.:rolleyes:

I am elite on NW/Delta so often have free upgrades on domestic flights, and with the service cuts on the last few flights even in the 1st class cabin (lower quality meal service, reduced beverage options)...I would no longer pay out of pocket for an upgrade on a shorter domestic flight...it is just not worth it! Personally, I am just as happy with exit row or bulkhead seating (all I care about is the extra leg room). We save our miles for upgrades on longer haul flights.

Archived