First time HAL - Suite?

robynp

Hello everyone, I've been lurking around the HAL forum for a while, soaking up all information like a sponge!

We are booked on 'Rotterdam' from Venice on 29 April 2005, and have taken Cabin # 6198 which is described as a suite with balcony. However, on looking at the HAL website, it just looks to me like a nice balcony cabin, and not what I would describe as a suite. :confused:

Is this just a bit of 'creative advertising' on HAL's part? Do they call all 'cabins' suites? I'm not overly concerned about the difference (but a real suite would be nice :D), just curious.

Could anyone describe what type of cabin/suite we have booked and the amenities? I can't seem to find a lot of information on these boards about 'Rotterdam'. Looking forward to my first HAL experience - and out of Venice - what a sailaway that will be! :):)

Many thanks

6198 is a "mini-suite" Category B and as such does not have all the amenities that a Suite does, like use of the Neptune Lounge, free laundry, priority boarding/disembarkation and tendering, to name a few. It is also 1/2 the size of a Suite (S category)

To view the cabin go into HAL's website, http://www.hollandamerica.com, click on Fleet and then click on Rotterdam. On the right hand side of the page, click on "deck plans" and then click on Veranda deck. You will also see the description of the B cat. mini-suites there.

We have had a mini-suite many times and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Hi Robanne,

Welcome to the HAL Board. It is great to see you here. Your cabin is the normal verandah cabin, which is the same size as an outside cabin plus the verandah.

It is different to the SS we had on the Prinsendam which was a huge cabin of over 362sq ft. On the Rotterdam verandah cabins are around 284 sq. feet and the S cabins are 563sq. ft.

You will still have plenty of room to move around but without any of the extra space and priviledges of an S cabin. Even in the SS we only received our own printed stationery and little else.

Hope this helps a little.

Jennie

HAL does throw around the term "suite" rather loosely. Without getting into the strick definition of suite only the two highest HAL cabin categories are "suites". Only the top two categories, Penthouse and Deluxe Verandah, are suites in terms of the amenities offered to suite passengers.

Thank you all for the prompt information, and for the welcome to the HAL boards!

I'm sure we will enjoy the 'suite' no matter the dimensions, although I do like to use the balcony and it appears from comments here that Rotterdam's are a little on the small side. Nonetheless, I believe she is a beautiful ship.

Thanks again everyone for being so helpful.

Regards from the Land of Oz

On our first trip to that part of the world, we also were in a mini-suite. We normally book a "S" suite but none were available. As it turns out, we were off the ship so much, that it was nice to have the savings to use for shore excursions! Also, on many ships those category "S" cabins are right underneath the indoor Lido poll so there is lots of noise with the chairs being scooted around all day. No hope for a nap. So, the mini suite will be great----you open the curtains every morning and you are in a different country! Like a different 0postcard every day! Have a wonderful time!

Mary

We did notice a bit of noise from the deck chairs on our Maasdam cruise in Jan. We were in suite 007. On this cruise I picked 041 on the Ryndam to be under the carpeted area of the Lido buffet. We were in a mini-suite near this location previously and did not experience any noise. Someone was on 043 on Ryndam recently and did not hear any noise.

I like this deck and location on the S class ships since it is near the aft pool (same deck) and still close to the Neptune Lounge.

DaveOKC

Archived