In-cabin tea/coffee making facilities on Solstice?

tom_uk

Does Solstice have tea or coffee-making facilities in the cabins? I remember that Galaxy didn't, but I thought I'd ask if Solstice, being new, had this.

This is going to sound silly, but it might be that the deciding factor between a cruise on either Celebrity Eclipse or P&O Azura in summer 2010 might come down to in-cabin tea & coffee making.... we know that P&O do it, but does Celebrity? For Brits at sea, this is a must-have!

Well, since no one else has piped in, I will say that I do not believe there are such facilities on ANY Celebrity ship, at least none of the three I have cruised on. Same with laundry rooms. If someone has seen something different on Solstice, please chime in.

However, coffee and tea are readily available either from room service or at the buffet.

Cathy

Well, since no one else has piped in, I will say that I do not believe there are such facilities on ANY Celebrity ship, at least none of the three I have cruised on. Same with laundry rooms. If someone has seen something different on Solstice, please chime in.

However, coffee and tea are readily available either from room service or at the buffet.

Cathy

I was afraid of that.

I know that tea/coffee is available in the buffet, etc, but it's not the same. We cruised on Ventura last autumn, and we found that being able to make our own cups of tea, just how we like them, and take them out onto the balcony increased the 'comfort' factor enormously for us.

Maybe that's a working definition of 'luxury': drinking familiar beverages in unfamiliar but extremely pleasant surroundings.

One of the things that has been mentioned here is that you can request hot water from room service and make your own tea, or bring a french press and make your own coffee. Those who have done so have reported very good results. As one who used to travel a LOT, that was one of my go / no go decisions on a hotel <Grin>...

regards

Scott

I was afraid of that.

I know that tea/coffee is available in the buffet, etc, but it's not the same. We cruised on Ventura last autumn, and we found that being able to make our own cups of tea, just how we like them, and take them out onto the balcony increased the 'comfort' factor enormously for us.

Maybe that's a working definition of 'luxury': drinking familiar beverages in unfamiliar but extremely pleasant surroundings.

I completely understand... its not the same having a cuppa in the restaurants etc. I was on Solstice in November and they did not have tea/coffee making facilities in the cabin, however, I ordered my tea from room service every morning and it was piping hot in a large jug - wonderful to sit on the balcony with a nice cuppa, if you know what I mean!! :D

GB

TomUK.

I agree with you about making your own cuppa it must be one of the British eccentricities or just you & I.:rolleyes:

Seeing there is no tea making facilities we take a travel kettle with us,my question is if we do ,are teabags/coffee sachets & milk available somewhere without using the cabin steward?

Cheers

TomUK.

I agree with you about making your own cuppa it must be one of the British eccentricities or just you & I.:rolleyes:

Seeing there is no tea making facilities we take a travel kettle with us,my question is if we do ,are teabags/coffee sachets & milk available somewhere without using the cabin steward?

Cheers

It's definitely a Brit-thing.

As regards teabags, etc, they were always available in the buffet on Galaxy - I suppose we could indeed grab a handful now & then. Just take our own mugs, sweeteners, etc, and we're away.

One other thing, liverpoollad: a long time ago I lived in Rock Ferry. When we moved away the estate agent advertised our house's location as being 'Bebington borders'!

Tom, I don't actually know the answer but when Independence sailed out of Southampton last year there were tea/coffee making facilities in every cabin. This was a first for RCCL and done for the British market so maybe the Eclipse will follow suit.

We're also considering the Eclipse for next summer, we currently have a hold on a cabin for the Baltic in July but are waiting for RCCLs prices on Jewel to come out today before making a final decision.

Julie

In my experience, they just don't seem to understand tea on Celebrity or RCCL. Even in the dining room, I usually end up with a container of what once might have been hot (but is now barely warm) water and a selection of tea bags. I don't like to think of the temperature of the water if it has to arrive by Room Service! They do have little cartons of milk on the buffet at breakfast that you can take back to your cabin and use for a couple of days.

The tea at the Cova Cafe is good, but you have to pay for it.

Lisa

As mentioned above we always pack a french press, you could use this for coffee or tea. Ordering hot water from room service will come in a thermal carafe so will be nice and hot. Tea will come with several tea bag packets and you can request sweetner/milk also. If you have a favorite brand you prefer then bring your own, as I do with coffee.

Bev

TomUK.

Cheers

Hi... Another fellow Brit here... would agree you definately cant start the day without a cup of tea, and you generally want it NOW not have to wait for room service or wander off in search of hot water.

I was wondering - are you allowed travel kettles ? We take ours everywhere, but I thought I'd read somewhere that they were a prohibited item (along with irons)

Never having cruised before I dont know the answer !

I would imagine that if you cannot take an electric coffee maker you can't take an electric kettle either. Room service usually only takes a few minutes, you could also have a standing order with your room steward for hot water each morning at a specific time or fill out the service card for the time you need.

Bev

I am also the "I need my coffee the minute I get up" person. We just filled out the card and hung it on the door each evening, and our coffee and croissants showed up right on time. We always got a phone call saying "Your breakfast is ready" about 1 minute before it showed up, giving one of us a few seconds to get up and put on a bathrobe! They were extremely prompt and this may solve your problem. If you bring your own tea bags or grab some from the buffet, you can just order a carafe of hot water and that will allow you to have refills.

Cathy

Hi all,

Been away for a few days so wasn't able to add my posts.

Tom Uk. We lived in Bebington many years ago & Rock Ferry is on the borders of Bebington. We now live in Neston & I suppose I can now say we live on the Borders of Gayton;) Gayton is well known for its millionaires.

My travel kettle is actually just a heating element,so maybe that's not allowed either,so I will order a jug of hot water .

It's not often we get so many Brits posting on CC discussing a subject. It just shows how important tea to us. A chip butty & a cup of tea super..

Now lets discuss something else.............Weather anyone????:D

Hi all,

Been away for a few days so wasn't able to add my posts.

Tom Uk. We lived in Bebington many years ago & Rock Ferry is on the borders of Bebington. We now live in Neston & I suppose I can now say we live on the Borders of Gayton;) Gayton is well known for its millionaires.

My travel kettle is actually just a heating element,so maybe that's not allowed either,so I will order a jug of hot water .

It's not often we get so many Brits posting on CC discussing a subject. It just shows how important tea to us. A chip butty & a cup of tea super..

I was in Rock Ferry at the time Chariots of Fire was made, and I remember walking into Bebington at that time and seeing crowds of people around Bebington Oval and wondering what was going on... but I didn't investigate it and missed my chance of cinematic glory!

I didn't realise unto just yesterday that Duffy's record 'Rockferry' is named after the location, either.

Back on topic: I have a feeling that with Eclipse sailing out of Southampton, brit-to-brit conversations may become more common here in the Celebrity forum than heretofore.

My poor hubbie is an Assam tea.... on the hour.... every hour ...man at home, and he really suffers while cruising. I shows how much he loves me that he lets me drag him away from his fresh tea. ;)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh;)

That is the sound of a man who understands. ! :D Do you get torn away from your teapot at home and made to wander the globe tea less as well. :D;)

We'll have to let Mike have a cuppa in Lisbon ;) (if he behaves himself):D

Archived