Missing my Holland America experience - Where do I find it?

HALFans

We just returned from the Sea of Cortez on the Ryndam and sadly noted the passing of a few more Holland America traditions:

1) Clean windows on Crow's Nest and Lido decks - GONE!

2) Attractive Dinner / Show Time combinations

3) Logo Chocolates - Replaced with pre-packaged generics.

4) Logo Swizzle Sticks - Replaced with flimsy thin wood strips

5) Dinner Chimes - GONE!

6) Logo flagged appetizer picks - GONE!

7) Formal Night Wear - Shorts and printed Tee Shirts allowed :eek:

The clean windows deal really bugs me. When I board a ship with very dirty windows in all public areas it really influences how I perceive the rest of the ship. Especially when a cruise has 'Scenic Cruising' slated. It made it very difficult to get photographs (or even really enjoy watching) from inside the ship. This has been the case on our last two cruises (total 25 days).

As You Wish dining just didn't work for us. Once you get the daily listings to plan your activities, the only available options were 5:00 or 5:15 if you prefer a table for two. While Holland America has a fine Lido setup, we much prefer the dining room for our evening meal.

The other stuff is just 'nit-picky' but still noticeable from our last cruise and 'sprinkles on the icing' of the cake... No big deal in themselves. There were other things too, but haven't decided weather or not to write a full review yet.

At any rate, my question is - is there a moderately priced cruise line that offers these amenities anymore? We've ONLY been on Holland America so far.

We'd like a little more the old 'Traditional' style (or even what HAL offered just last year) and don't really have any idea which line to try next. Any suggestions?

We'd like a little more the old 'Traditional' style (or even what HAL offered just last year) and don't really have any idea which line to try next. Any suggestions?

Maybe you can try Celebrity?

By all means...let HAL know that you miss these items. I would curtainly tell them about the windows.(this is cleaniness, IMO) Everyone is trying to cut costs anyway they can, BUT if HAL is told how disappointed it's passengers are, they might reinstated some of the "OLDIES". My sister just returned from a cruise on Princess and she basically said the same thing...she noted the food has been declining. The economy it hurting all of us.

I would curtainly tell them about the windows.(this is cleaniness, IMO)

In all fairness I guess I should have noted it was the OUTSIDE surface of the windows. As far as I could tell the inside surfaces looked very clean.

I did think about you going off on the Ryndam,as I know how much you were looking forward to it. Sorry to hear about the costcuts bothering you. Did you enjoy the cruise? How were the Mexican ports? And did the CD look after you guys?

Will be looking forward to your review.

Bruce

:D:D:D

By all means...let HAL know that you miss these items. <SNIP> My sister just returned from a cruise on Princess and she basically said the same thing...she noted the food has been declining.

Most of the food was ok. I made the mistake of ordering a Sirloin one night. After chewing for 90 seconds I gave up on the first one. Sent the 2nd one back on another 90 second bite and got the linguine instead. Then I noticed that one of our table mates who also ordered the sirloin was too kind to send his back. He had a whole string of little 'un-chewable' piles around the outside of his plate.

I spoke to the Hotel Manager and he said 'We're using the same supplier we've used for 35 years. Sometimes you get a bad steak.' 3 bad steaks in a row? (my 2 and my table-mates 1) I suspect that while the supplier is the same, the grade purchased is several categories lower than what HAL used to purchase. What kind of savings can there be when passengers send back 2 steaks and end up eating an alternate entree instead?

I used to rave about the beef on Holland America. Now I guess I'll have to rant instead. ;)

HALfans, welcome back. Would love to hear all about the cruise. Really, REALLY disappointed to hear about the food -- we were thrilled with the quality on our 10 day Sea of Cortez cruise in November. (After our 7 day Alaska Ryndam cruise, we were LESS than thrilled with the food -- the beef was too weird for words and generally the food didn't get past "good" -- with a few "very good" dishes) And I'm on the May 8 sailing Vcr to Alaska, and have been soooooooooooooo looking forward to the food we experienced in November.

Anyway, can we hear more? And did you have to make any requests in writing? :D

Jean's and T's in the dining room on formal night, wow. I still think the service is better than Celebrity. I think you should write the CEO.

As far as service, we have decided that a Mass Market line just will never compare to a small ship (sometimes luxury) experience, but you are right regarding cost. What do you consider moderate prices? $1,000pp or $3,500.00 pp etc?

Just a note that SilverSeas currently has many sailing at 50% off and gratuities and unlimited drinks are included. We are going to try them but mainly because HAL's itineraries are becoming boring (for those who do not have other 2 weeks vacation at one time).

I did think about you going off on the Ryndam,as I know how much you were looking forward to it. Sorry to hear about the costcuts bothering you. Did you enjoy the cruise? How were the Mexican ports? And did the CD look after you guys?

Will be looking forward to your review.

Bruce

:D:D:D

We did enjoy the cruise - just not as much as we'd expected to.

Briefly - pre review ;)

The Ryndam is still a beautiful ship, the passengers and staff are very friendly and competent.

Matt Allen was the cruise director and overall he did a fine job with his reduced staff. Fewer activities yes, but it always seemed that if there were 2 we wanted to do in one day, they overlapped or we had to leave one early to get to the next.

Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas are all covered very well elsewhere so I'll skip those.

What we did:

Topolobampo - skip the Botanical Gardens. While they may be among the largest, they were untended for several decades and it seems most of the non-indigenous plants were stolen(?) or died out many years ago.

el Fuerte (Zorro) - Much is made of the "palace it took 200 lbs of gold to build", but no one points out what's left of it on the tour. The hotel/resort that has 'swallowed' it is very attractive and is a conglomeration of 4-5 mansions. The food on the tour was VERY good. The visit by "Zorro" was fun and he danced with each of the ladies. The walking tour is nice, but you'll find more enjoyment in Loreto. The walk along the river is beautiful (WEAR INSECT REPELLENT - I'm still scratching :o) but the walk back uphill can be strenuous.

La Paz - Rented Kayaks through Club Cantamar to Bandaleras(?) Bay. Very lovely setting in quite shallow waters. They also transported us back to the ship at no charge. Quite a bargain and a fun time. Took the free shuttle to La Paz and walked along the beautiful waterfront there.

Loreto - Quite a beautiful city, lots to see within walking distance, probably the highlight port for quaintness, cleanliness, friendly locals, etc. We'll have to go back and do a tour there. Had an amazing seafood platter for 2 for only $50 that included lobster tails, whole crabs, baked clams, etc.

Guess I'd better get started on the review. LOL.

And did you have to make any requests in writing? :D
Yeah but did you get your FOD meeting?:cool:

Thanks for remembering! No, we didn't have to make any written requests. The CD had already arranged Friends of Dorothy gatherings on the first and last sea days.

After our Hawaii cruise (8-10 of us who had fun chatting/drinking) I was looking forward to it, but the first meeting saw only my partner and me. For the 2nd and last one, 3 more guys decided to "escape their confinement in the penthouse suite" to join us. ;)

Just a note that SilverSeas currently has many sailing at 50% off and gratuities and unlimited drinks are included. We are going to try them but mainly because HAL's itineraries are becoming boring (for those who do not have other 2 weeks vacation at one time).

I wonder what that works out to per day? I've never sailed with less than $110 or so daily charges between what I drink, or buy for other folks (not including my partner ;) He has his own bar tab!).

I'll have to look into SilverSeas. Thanks!

Good for you! Zorro is cool outside La Fuerte isn't he? And the dancing senoritas there were beautiful!:)

Hey, nobody likes filthy windows, but then again, ocean spray on a cruise ship is ocean spray on a cruise ship, n'est pas? The problem with the exterior Crow's Nest and Lido Deck windows, I believe, is accessibility. 'Doing those' either requires a Deck Dept guy in a rapelling harness 'hanging' outside and doing his thing with a brush and/or use of that little motorized window cleaner basket that usually hangs outside the ship somewhere. Don't believe the basket makes regular stops outside the CN though. Something about a higher rent district!;)

Hey, maybe they can make it a shore, sorry ship, excursion a la RCI's climbing wall? Window washing outside the ship!! Bet ya, you can earn some dam dollars with that one!

Hey, maybe they can make it a shore, sorry ship, excursion a la RCI's climbing wall? Window washing outside the ship!! Bet ya, you can earn some dam dollars with that one!

If not dam$, then maybe a logo stick or pic.:D

Hey, nobody likes filthy windows, but then again, ocean spray on a cruise ship is ocean spray on a cruise ship, n'est pas? The problem with the exterior Crow's Nest and Lido Deck windows, I believe, is accessibility. 'Doing those' either requires a Deck Dept guy in a rapelling harness 'hanging' outside and doing his thing with a brush and/or use of that little motorized window cleaner basket that usually hangs outside the ship somewhere. Don't believe the basket makes regular stops outside the CN though. Something about a higher rent district!;)

Hey John, I think that you are on to something here. I, for one, would be willing to give that a try even though I am not into the "dam dollars" events but it sounds like fun. My windows at home are in sore need of a really good cleaning but they don't involve a harness/basket so they can wait for a while longer.:D

I won quite a few "dam dollars" on my last cruise by, can you believe it, playing Trivia? Didn't need the "dam dollars" so I gave them to my Trivia teammates, then I found out that I could have had enough "dollars" to get a nice sweatshirt. My teammates, God bless them, gave me back enough "dollars" to get the sweatshirt and then any others I won after that I gave back to them. I can't believe how much "loot" they all went home with, but then they did participate in almost all of the "dam dollar" events as well as Team Trivia.

Valerie:D

Well first let me say Welcome Home :)

I think those window on the outside being dirty is hit and miss. But agree it is not good. I think when we were on the Ryndam in 2006 for Alaska they were like that then as well :(

I agree with the show times but slowly most of the ships are going back to the old times which has been better.

Odd about the chocolates but I think they sometimes run out and have to use a generic. Just a couple of weeks on the Oosterdam we had the HAL logo chocolates, as a matter of fact I have a couple still left sitting here at my desk wanting me to eat them :D

You know sometimes what might be gone on one ship for a few weeks has returned or never left another HAL ship. I some times think it has to do with the Hotel Managers or other management on the ship. Which is really unfortunate that they cannot always be consistant.

I agree with the show times but slowly most of the ships are going back to the old times which has been better.

David (The Hotel Manager) said that the Ryndam is the 'experimental' ship for the show times. What actually worked best for show attendance was (I think he said) 5:30 & 7:30, but even they thought that was too early. The way he explained it was: when the times are 8 and 10 the first show was standing room only, and very few attend the 2nd show. 7 and 9 times the shows are both well attended. Yes, bar revenues are increased over 8 and 10. Read into that what you will. I interpret it as "Ain't never gonna see another 10PM show." They make more money with 7 and 9. Can't fault that - especially these days.

Odd about the chocolates but I think they sometimes run out and have to use a generic. Just a couple of weeks on the Oosterdam we had the HAL logo chocolates, as a matter of fact I have a couple still left sitting here at my desk wanting me to eat them :D

You know sometimes what might be gone on one ship for a few weeks has returned or never left another HAL ship. I some times think it has to do with the Hotel Managers or other management on the ship. Which is really unfortunate that they cannot always be consistant.

Could be they just didn't have enough to go around. (I don't envy the person/department who handles all the logistics for 14 ships.) I forgot to ask him about the chocolates. I did ask about the missing caviar and eel. (Evidently I was the only one on all of the ships who actually ate the eel ;).) <SIGH> There were varying 'darkness' percentages on the chocolate, so it made for an interesting variety which WAS a nice change from milk chocolate every night.

Sometimes the captain wants to clean the windows, but can't. Many ports have enacted environmental rules that forbid runoff from the ship. Hence, there are fewer opportunities to scrub the ship. This was a point Capt. Albert of the Veendam once noted on his blog.

We just returned from the Sea of Cortez on the Ryndam and sadly noted the passing of a few more Holland America traditions:

1) Clean windows on Crow's Nest and Lido decks - GONE!

2) Attractive Dinner / Show Time combinations

3) Logo Chocolates - Replaced with pre-packaged generics.

4) Logo Swizzle Sticks - Replaced with flimsy thin wood strips

5) Dinner Chimes - GONE!

6) Logo flagged appetizer picks - GONE!

7) Formal Night Wear - Shorts and printed Tee Shirts allowed :eek:

The clean windows deal really bugs me. When I board a ship with very dirty windows in all public areas it really influences how I perceive the rest of the ship. Especially when a cruise has 'Scenic Cruising' slated. It made it very difficult to get photographs (or even really enjoy watching) from inside the ship. This has been the case on our last two cruises (total 25 days).

As You Wish dining just didn't work for us. Once you get the daily listings to plan your activities, the only available options were 5:00 or 5:15 if you prefer a table for two. While Holland America has a fine Lido setup, we much prefer the dining room for our evening meal.

Most of the food was ok. I made the mistake of ordering a Sirloin one night. After chewing for 90 seconds I gave up on the first one. Sent the 2nd one back on another 90 second bite and got the linguine instead. Then I noticed that one of our table mates who also ordered the sirloin was too kind to send his back. He had a whole string of little 'un-chewable' piles around the outside of his plate.

I used to rave about the beef on Holland America. Now I guess I'll have to rant instead. ;)

Jean's and T's in the dining room on formal night, wow. I still think the service is better than Celebrity. I think you should write the CEO.

As far as service, we have decided that a Mass Market line just will never compare to a small ship (sometimes luxury) experience, but you are right regarding cost. What do you consider moderate prices? $1,000pp or $3,500.00 pp etc?

Eurodam in February did have Logo Chocolates with more Dark than Milk. (as I like it)

I never order cocktails so can't comment on Logo swizzles.

Fillet in Pinnacle was just as remembered. Fillet in Tamarind was same quality.

Crows Nest and Lido windows were very clean inside and out.

As to SilverSeas: Mario the Maitre' d in Pinnacle had just left SilverSeas after many years with them because "they are just not what they used to be" due to "cost savings" (even on S.S. ! )

And if the much discussed show times are not well attended at 10 PM, then why are so many so passionate about it ?

I can easily believe that it is all the same PAX who "Prefer" the AYWD attending the 9 PM show.

Well sorry to hear everything wasn't as in order as you had hoped. I know what its like to the experienced traveller who are used to things being a certain way.

I must admit the dirty windows would be a big turn off for me too but probably much of the rest wouldn't bother me all that much. I'm more of a traditional diner myself but would probably put up with anytime if I had too. Early wouldn't work for me as I am used to eating late at home and I don't care to just run into a meal immediately upon returning from a shore excursion.

Show times are not a major concerns as I tend to miss most of the shows anyway:o but I have heard they have moved them back to a more appropriate time for most people.

Yes, I do recall the dinner chime. It was a cute little touch but I guess once you open your doors to "whatever, whenever" there is no need for a formal announcement that dinner is ready.

As for formal wear...I too like dressing up for it but we might have to face the facts that this is becoming a lost art in this day and age. Still we few who remain can go down in the battle with our finest on.:D

I thoroughly enjoyed my first and only HAL cruise to date back in 2005 and already it sounds as if the line has made some dramatic shifts. Like all things change is necessary but some will be good while others will be bad. I am still looking forward to my second HAL outing this summer on the Maasdam and will try my hardest to make the best of it. We're combining it with both birthdays of my partner and I and so would like to pull it off as something a little special. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll enjoy it as much the second time around.

Hopefully this cause of concern on your recent cruise was a blip. However, if you are seriously looking at alternatives I don't think anyone should stop you from trying out the competition. You might like or dislike them - only one way to ever find out. In terms of prices and similar lifestyles I would think you should be looking at Celebrity (although I never sailed with them yet) or Cunard (surprisingly more middle ground than many give it credit for and a current favourite of mine where formal dining is still formal or else!).

David

Archived