Missing my Holland America experience - Where do I find it?

HALFans

So, for those people who really don't like what they are seeing as a decline in service and amenities on HAL, there are other lines where those things are still very much alive and well. But for a lot of people, there is simply no choice. They want to cruise and perhaps they are on tight budgets. So, they have to make do with those things HAL can still afford to give, and make allowances for those things they can't.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I agree wholeheartedly.

We just returned from the Sea of Cortez on the Ryndam and sadly noted the passing of a few more Holland America traditions:

1) Clean windows on Crow's Nest and Lido decks - GONE!

2) Attractive Dinner / Show Time combinations

3) Logo Chocolates - Replaced with pre-packaged generics.

4) Logo Swizzle Sticks - Replaced with flimsy thin wood strips

5) Dinner Chimes - GONE!

6) Logo flagged appetizer picks - GONE!

7) Formal Night Wear - Shorts and printed Tee Shirts allowed :eek:

The clean windows deal really bugs me. When I board a ship with very dirty windows in all public areas it really influences how I perceive the rest of the ship. Especially when a cruise has 'Scenic Cruising' slated. It made it very difficult to get photographs (or even really enjoy watching) from inside the ship. This has been the case on our last two cruises (total 25 days).

As You Wish dining just didn't work for us. Once you get the daily listings to plan your activities, the only available options were 5:00 or 5:15 if you prefer a table for two. While Holland America has a fine Lido setup, we much prefer the dining room for our evening meal.

The other stuff is just 'nit-picky' but still noticeable from our last cruise and 'sprinkles on the icing' of the cake... No big deal in themselves. There were other things too, but haven't decided weather or not to write a full review yet.

At any rate, my question is - is there a moderately priced cruise line that offers these amenities anymore? We've ONLY been on Holland America so far.

We'd like a little more the old 'Traditional' style (or even what HAL offered just last year) and don't really have any idea which line to try next. Any suggestions?

HALFans,

I agree with AZjohn -- give Celebrity a try! As you can see from my signature, we bounce back and forth between HAL and Celebrity. Celebrity is a bit more formal and has assigned seating only! Our last Westerdam cruise felt more like Princess and less like Holland America.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

HALFans,

I agree with AZjohn -- give Celebrity a try! As you can see from my signature, we bounce back and forth between HAL and Celebrity. Celebrity is a bit more formal and has assigned seating only! Our last Westerdam cruise felt more like Princess and less like Holland America.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I'm hearing Celebrity more and more. I'm sure there's a line looking for me somewhere. ;)

I'm the type of cruiser that spends 2x more on 'sundries' like daily charges, tips, etc. than the cruise fare... not including shore excursions or airfare. :D

I'm hearing Celebrity more and more. I'm sure there's a line looking for me somewhere. ;)

I'm the type of cruiser that spends 2x more on 'sundries' like daily charges, tips, etc. than the cruise fare... not including shore excursions or airfare. :D

Thanks for writing such a detailed review,all I can think of is maybe it was an isolated incident? bad trip etc?

I've sailed Celebrity twice,and they run a first class operation. I would sail them again in a heartbeat.

The only thing lacking IMO is the Indonesian and Philipino crew.

It really makes a difference and they are missed. Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever line you choose,trying different things is a good thing.

We just returned from the Sea of Cortez on the Ryndam and sadly noted the passing of a few more Holland America traditions:

1) Clean windows on Crow's Nest and Lido decks - GONE!

2) Attractive Dinner / Show Time combinations

3) Logo Chocolates - Replaced with pre-packaged generics.

4) Logo Swizzle Sticks - Replaced with flimsy thin wood strips

5) Dinner Chimes - GONE!

6) Logo flagged appetizer picks - GONE!

7) Formal Night Wear - Shorts and printed Tee Shirts allowed :eek:

The clean windows deal really bugs me. When I board a ship with very dirty windows in all public areas it really influences how I perceive the rest of the ship. Especially when a cruise has 'Scenic Cruising' slated. It made it very difficult to get photographs (or even really enjoy watching) from inside the ship. This has been the case on our last two cruises (total 25 days).

As You Wish dining just didn't work for us. Once you get the daily listings to plan your activities, the only available options were 5:00 or 5:15 if you prefer a table for two. While Holland America has a fine Lido setup, we much prefer the dining room for our evening meal.

The other stuff is just 'nit-picky' but still noticeable from our last cruise and 'sprinkles on the icing' of the cake... No big deal in themselves. There were other things too, but haven't decided weather or not to write a full review yet.

At any rate, my question is - is there a moderately priced cruise line that offers these amenities anymore? We've ONLY been on Holland America so far.

We'd like a little more the old 'Traditional' style (or even what HAL offered just last year) and don't really have any idea which line to try next. Any suggestions?[/quote

No use complaining when you are off the ship I find HAL eager to resolve issues as they arise. I play my broken record to the complainers I meet whilst cruising, " what have you done about it " and their answer is usually, " nothing ". It is easier to be reactive than proactive.

:(:(:(:(:(

HalFans

I enjoyed reading your review. You write of a noticeable decline in Formal Wear attire on Formal Nights and mention one couple dressed in shorts and tees while 95% of the men are wearing either tuxes,suits or jackets. I like those numbers. Could you elaborate?

Rich

What happened to the temporary green speedo avatar?

Was it a blink and miss? Was it an hallucination?

:D:D:D

That was not a Speedo. It was body paint and Copper could only hold that pose for a short while.

Rich

That was not a Speedo. It was body paint and Copper could only hold that pose for a short while.

Rich

Dude, have you been talking to the child bride again?:eek: That's soooooo wrong! What kinda car do you drive?

HalFans

I enjoyed reading your review. You write of a noticeable decline in Formal Wear attire on Formal Nights and mention one couple dressed in shorts and tees while 95% of the men are wearing either tuxes,suits or jackets. I like those numbers. Could you elaborate?

Rich

It seemed to me that a lot of people must have chosen to spend their Formal Night time tucked away in their staterooms.

That made it feel quite roomy for those of us who chose to 'spiff it up' a bit and at least put on a jacket and tie.

With so many of those who DID choose to come out and join the evenings theme dressing so nicely, the shorts and tees seemed a much more flagrant variance from what everyone else was wearing... they were such a unique exception.

I wish I had taken better notes on this aspect. I just remember over all the feeling of 'many fewer people, but dressed nicer' than expected.

Dude, have you been talking to the child bride again?:eek: That's soooooo wrong! What kinda car do you drive?

Hey!

She called me.

I used to drive a 1975 Chevy Vega,lime green, which was very similar in color to those firm cheeks of yours.:)

Rich

It seemed to me that a lot of people must have chosen to spend their Formal Night time tucked away in their staterooms.

That made it feel quite roomy for those of us who chose to 'spiff it up' a bit and at least put on a jacket and tie.

With so many of those who DID choose to come out and join the evenings theme dressing so nicely, the shorts and tees seemed a much more flagrant variance from what everyone else was wearing... they were such a unique exception.

I wish I had taken better notes on this aspect. I just remember over all the feeling of 'many fewer people, but dressed nicer' than expected.

Thanks HalFans

I`m glad to hear that most everyone conformed to Formal Night clothing guidelines.

Rich

Hey!

She called me.

I used to drive a 1975 Chevy Vega,lime green, which was very similar in color to those firm cheeks of yours.:)

Rich

Starting to worry about you! Must be all that snow up there in Chitown:cool:

Halfans,

After all this, do you think you will change your CC username?

What will the new one be?

Also, where you pleased that Drew was no longer the CD on the Ryndam? I recall there being some posts about him etc?

Thanks for posting your review! I'm a bit concerned over the "unevenness" which is becoming apparent over the last year on the R-dam. We had great service, run-of-the-mill food on our May/08 R-dam cruise, with a wonderful pax group. We had WONDERFUL food on our Nov/08 R-dam cruise, with other areas doing some struggling.

I board again in (Ohmigoodness :eek: ) 7 weeks. I'm joining a lady for whom this vacation is "the trip of a lifetime" and we strongly encouraged HAL as the cruiseline to take (and the R-dam because of its smaller size).

After our May/08 cruise, I warned the friend who joined us in Nov/08 that things just weren't what we had experienced on HAL previously. We all felt, though, that the Nov/08 cruise was EXCELLENT (except for things that were out of the control of HAL).

I hope our trip is good -- doesn't have to be perfect, but good service, good food, a pleasant atmosphere.

Halfans,

After all this, do you think you will change your CC username?

What will the new one be?

Also, where you pleased that Drew was no longer the CD on the Ryndam? I recall there being some posts about him etc?

LOL. No, I'll keep the username. Holland America got me hooked on cruising, and did such a fine job in 13 years that I only thought about looking elsewhere one time. (Oddly enough that was a bad experience with Bobby Broughton, CD on the Ryndam who pulled the same shenanigans on me that Drew Smith pulled on RlrCstr). LOL. At any rate, I'm not upset, just disappointed. I'll be watching reviews on Cruise Critic and be back some time when/if things are better. ;)

It really didn't matter to me that Drew wasn't the Ryndam CD. I was actually looking forward to our reception - to see how things went after the Seattle office assured me everything would be fine.

We're choosing our fall cruise now, but it seems I'd heard some whispers about the Celebrity Mercury. They may be pretty dated by now though so I'll have to investigate further before we put deposits down.

Thanks for posting your review! I'm a bit concerned over the "unevenness" which is becoming apparent over the last year on the R-dam. We had great service, run-of-the-mill food on our May/08 R-dam cruise, with a wonderful pax group. We had WONDERFUL food on our Nov/08 R-dam cruise, with other areas doing some struggling.

I board again in (Ohmigoodness :eek: ) 7 weeks. I'm joining a lady for whom this vacation is "the trip of a lifetime" and we strongly encouraged HAL as the cruiseline to take (and the R-dam because of its smaller size).

After our May/08 cruise, I warned the friend who joined us in Nov/08 that things just weren't what we had experienced on HAL previously. We all felt, though, that the Nov/08 cruise was EXCELLENT (except for things that were out of the control of HAL).

I hope our trip is good -- doesn't have to be perfect, but good service, good food, a pleasant atmosphere.

Unevenness is the word! We had a new captain that cruise, and several of the entertainers changed mid-cruise.

The service over all remained wonderful and (if possible) even better than I remembered from other cruises. The Ryndam may have the friendliest crew at sea!

It was a lot of other things that made it seem like a 'Twilight Zone' version of a Holland America cruise. If I wasn't expecting the 'Holland America Experience' it would have been a very nice cruise except for the inedible beef... just not as elegant or special as Holland America has always been.

Archived