Library Closure on Quest

Neefy

The last I read was that the library on Quest had, understandably, remained closed following the norovirus outbreak earlier in the year. Does anybody know if it is now open and/or whether any other restrictions still apply?:confused:

The last I read was that the library on Quest had, understandably, remained closed following the norovirus outbreak earlier in the year. Does anybody know if it is now open and/or whether any other restrictions still apply?:confused:

The library on Quest is closed at this time as the precautionary procedures for Noro are still in affect.

Jancruz1

Is there any way of finding out if the library will be open by the 7 April sailing? On a 24 dy cruise [with 3 nights pre-cruise and two post-cruise] it is of some importance. We will have to rethink what books we are going to pack if there is to be no library.

Is there any way of finding out if the library will be open by the 7 April sailing? On a 24 dy cruise [with 3 nights pre-cruise and two post-cruise] it is of some importance. We will have to rethink what books we are going to pack if there is to be no library.

Sorry, at this time no one knows the answer to that question..

Jancruz1

Suggest you consider buying a Kindle from Amazon, You can store 100's of books on it, as well as newspaper and daily blog subscriptions. On our recent 42 day cruise from Athens to Hong Kong I read 13 books that I'd purchased (for less than the hard copy price!) and was also able to download my NY Times and a dailies that I subscribe to in less than a minute of Internet time. Many people were quite envious and said that they had not heard about it before. Even Dick Cheney said he uses his every day when he appeared on Meet The Press last Sunday.

Suggest you consider buying a Kindle from Amazon, You can store 100's of books on it, as well as newspaper and daily blog subscriptions. On our recent 42 day cruise from Athens to Hong Kong I read 13 books that I'd purchased (for less than the hard copy price!) and was also able to download my NY Times and a dailies that I subscribe to in less than a minute of Internet time. Many people were quite envious and said that they had not heard about it before. Even Dick Cheney said he uses his every day when he appeared on Meet The Press last Sunday.

I love my Kindle there is a discussion about it on the Journey Library thread

Jancruz1

BillC

Thanks for the kind suggestion but, having worked in IT for 27 years, I know that I cannot enjoy reading from a screen. A Kindle is something I should love but I know I would not. It's my loss!

Sue

BillC

Thanks for the kind suggestion but, having worked in IT for 27 years, I know that I cannot enjoy reading from a screen. A Kindle is something I should love but I know I would not. It's my loss!

Sue

I know a lot of people that feel that way..every one likes different things..

Jancruz1

BillC

Sue

Since we travel with more books than clothing I agree, how can you cuddle up with a piece of plastic. Nothing will ever replace the feel of a book in your hand. To me the end of the publishing trade, as we have known it, is a real shame.:mad:

Different strokes for different folks! I, too, worked in IT vendor for 37 years, starting with punched cards and going through office automation. The greatest resistance i ever encountered was from managers and executives in the 1980's. How things have changed in business now, particularly with the advent of devices like the Blackberry. My 93 year old mother-in-law refused to use the Kindle we bought her for Xmas last year, so we gave it to someone else and gave her a desktop instead. She's now spending several delightful hours each day corresponding with friends via email, Googling, using Wikipedia, and believe it, or not, reading her favorite newspaper, which she could have read on the Kindle. You figure it out!

Not as of today .... maybe when the next cruise starts tomorrow.

Good to know, specially as the Sg-Athens sailing has many sea days, books are necessary !

Trust that you are having a great time on board and enjoying all the interesting ports of call, though have seen on CNN the HK weather is very different to the blazing sunshine here in Phuket !

Hasta luego.

One of you reported that you received your daily NY Times as a download to your Kindle. I thought the Whispernet didn't operate overseas. I was unable to receive newspapers on my Kindle when we were in the Dominican Republic in February, and talked with people who also were unable to get any downloads in SE Asia last Fall. But I load up my Kindle with all kinds of books and magazines before we leave the country - and love, love it!

Neefy,

We were on the 28th February cruise when the library first lost all of its books. We were told that the books would appear on the next cruise but obviously that hasn't happened and yet we didn't have any serious nororvirus illness on our cruise as the staff had done such a wonderful job cleaning etc.

I am wondering if Azamara are going to refit the library with new books. We heard so many different rumours whilst on board regarding this. We were told that a new shipload was on its way, that the old books were being treated etc. It is a beautiful library so I do hope that Azamara does replace every book that was on the shelves.

I wouldn't rely on there being books for the next cruise. I would bring some books to be on the safe side. We always carry at least 2 each and that way we can swap with each other when we finish reading our own.

Enjoy your cruise, we have friends doing the same trip. We were on Oceania last year and loved our cruise of 35 days which was similar in a way to yours.

Jennie

Jancruz,

Thank you for the welcome up-date. Perhaps our cases this weekend will be within limits after all!

Peter (Neefy).

My pleasure!! We will be on May 1 so have a great time and be sure to put all the books back in order..:-)

Jancruz1

Archived