More Cut Backs

Krazy Kruizers

On our recent Noordam cruises, we noticed in the dining room at dinner there we had just the minimal amount of silverware.

Gone was the soup spoon, the extra fork, knife and spoon that was always above the plate area.

Granted if you ordered soup, a spoon arrived with it.

Has anyone noticed this on the other ships?

On our recent Noordam cruises, we noticed in the dining room at dinner there we had just the minimal amount of silverware.

Gone was the soup spoon, the extra fork, knife and spoon that was always above the plate area.

No cutbacks on the silverware/cutlery on our recent Ryndam cruise!

Perhaps whomever set up your table became distracted and neglected to finish?

So, did you enquire of the DRM if there were, in fact, cutbacks in the silverware?

(See, I am trying to increase my thread count as well)!

This was the case on the Volendam in Jan/Feb also. Actually had to ask for the soup spoon a few times and also had to ask for something to eat dessert with. We didn't eat in the dining room often, but when we did the cutbacks were noticeable. Soup spoons were not to be found in the Lido at all.

The table service looks fabulous ... but I have no problem with them cutting back on all these extra pieces they end up collecting at the end of the meal anyway. Just bring me what I need for the dishes I eat (like they bring a fish knife if you order fish) and that's fine with me.

No cutbacks on the silverware/cutlery on our recent Ryndam cruise!

Perhaps whomever set up your table became distracted and neglected to finish?

All the tables in the dining room were set up exactly the same way each evening that we did eat there -- a few times we did eat in the Pinnacle.

The table service looks fabulous ... but I have no problem with them cutting back on all these extra pieces they end up collecting at the end of the meal anyway. Just bring me what I need for the dishes I eat (like they bring a fish knife if you order fish) and that's fine with me.

It's very rare when we have used all the utensils at dinner.

This was the case on the Volendam in Jan/Feb also. Actually had to ask for the soup spoon a few times and also had to ask for something to eat dessert with. We didn't eat in the dining room often, but when we did the cutbacks were noticeable. Soup spoons were not to be found in the Lido at all.

There were soup spoons in the Lido -- at least there was in February.

I was considering Holland and was wondering when you took your last cruise since they seem to be cutting back (like most cruise lines are) what about the meals themselves (like dinner). Are they still serving a good selection to choose from?

We were on the Eurodam in Nov/Dec - back-to-back cruises for 14 days.

And we were on back-to-back cruises in Feb on the Noordam for 20 days.

JMO -- but we thought the menus for the first 10 days of the Noordam were much better than the menus for the second 10 days.

Having been on one portion of your b2b, Yonnie, I went back and checked photos. I have some food photos but took only the plate...not the flatware surrounding it.

I honestly don't recall. I guess I focused on the food...not the flatware.

If they cutback on the number of pieces, perhaps they decided to make more room on the table for plates, glasses, etc., and set the table with only what people used most often. Kinda makes sense.

We were on the Eurodam in Nov/Dec - back-to-back cruises for 14 days.

And we were on back-to-back cruises in Feb on the Noordam for 20 days.

JMO -- but we thought the menus for the first 10 days of the Noordam were much better than the menus for the second 10 days.

Interesting. we had the same menu on the 1/23 cruise and again on the 2/2 cruise.

For the record, we had full flatware settings in December on OOSTERDAM.

But - does anyone else think that folks are getting a bit carried away

complaining about the most minor changes and referring to them all as

"cutbacks" - therefore part of an insidious plot to downgrade the HAL experience?

Really, how does NOT setting extra silver items (that are already bought

& paid for and sitting in their racks) save HAL any measurable amount of

money?

Also curious, was this new set-up in the open seating level, traditional, or

both? Maybe an idea to help speed turnover of tables in the lower level?

When we were on the msSTATENDAM in Feb. we also noticed that a few pieces of silverware were missing. The table was set with salad fork, dinner fork, small knife, dinner knive, bread knife and a small spoon for coffee placed sideways at the head of the plate.

money?

When tables are cleared, all tableware (used or not) will be sent to the big dishwasher machine ... so it is wasteful of hot water to re-wash any unused implements. If I recall correctly, there were little signs in our bathroom indicating something like "Water is precious, please don't waste it." Perhaps HAL is carrying that theme over to the dining room service.

I think it is smart for any dining room manager to look at all the tiny aspects of meal service in an effort to save time and money in these difficult financial times. The lack of the specialty service pieces at the top of the individual table settings is an example. They are available if the customer needs them, but won't need to be handled by staff (time) and washed (money) even though not used simply because they were on the table. ----Penny

I noticed the difference right away. The silverware at the top of the plate was lacking. Princess gives you a knife fork and spoon, so HAL cutting back is not a big deal for us. Most people did'nt know what the silver at the top of the plate was there for anyway.

Interesting. we had the same menu on the 1/23 cruise and again on the 2/2 cruise.

We got a letter at the beginning of the second cruise indicating that since there were so many of us doing the second 10 days, they would be having different menus. Even the dining room staff didn't change.

For the record, we had full flatware settings in December on OOSTERDAM.

But - does anyone else think that folks are getting a bit carried away

complaining about the most minor changes and referring to them all as

"cutbacks" - therefore part of an insidious plot to downgrade the HAL experience? I wasn't complaining -- I was just curious as to what is happening on the other ships in the fleet.

money?

Also curious, was this new set-up in the open seating level, traditional, or

both? Maybe an idea to help speed turnover of tables in the lower level?

This new set-up was for both traditional and AYWD. Our table was right by the railing on the upper level (traditional) where we could look down and see the tables below.

We got a letter at the beginning of the second cruise indicating that since there were so many of us doing the second 10 days, they would be having different menus. Even the dining room staff didn't change.

That explains it then, I guess. There were only 20 or so doing the b2b we did.

I for one would love to have less silverware on the table. It makes me nuts with the wait staff putting down and picking up the silver ware. I guess I'm more focused on the food. Sue

I'm with you. So much silverware makes the table cluttered leaving minimal space for dishes! And, this could be an effort by HAL to "go green." Saving dishwasher loads. I, too, noted the sign on the vanity in the bathroom. It wasn't there on our last cruise.

I prefer the well dressed table. I've never been on a HAL cruise so I won't miss the extra flatware but when I dine in an elegant setting I like to have to remember the order of the silverware - when I eat at the Outback I expect a fork and a knife. Small difference but a difference just the same. Oh well, no big deal.

Archived