Sotstice Blu Dining Should I Change To MDR?

kad

I'm booked in an Aqua class cabin and reqested the 2nd seating for dinner. Celebrity has informed me that due to a computer glitch they are overbooked in the Blu dining room for the 2nd seating and have moved us to the main seating at Blu. Apparently it has a completely different menu than the MDR. We are not happy about dining early and have the option to change to the 2nd seating in the MDR. Can anyone tell me what I might be missing @ Blu? Is it a good idea to change?

I would have to ask you who gave you the option to change to late dining in Main Dining Room. From previous posts, my understanding is that those in BLU cannot change to Main Dining room if available until they are on board. I am just curious and checking to see if you are getting the correct information....

Blu is awesome...To me it is the difference between eating at a nice restaurant vs a nice cafeteria.

I would go for Blu early seating and then ask then go to the Maitre D in the MDR on the evenings that you want a late seating and ask them to slide you in...there is always room.

Frankly, we were on a completely booked ship and had late seating in Blu and the room was always 1/4 empty each night, so I bet there is more flexibility on the ship than they will officially tell you.

Celebrity has assured me that there will be no problem changing to late seating in the MDR if I want but you are right...I do have to wait until I am on the ship to change.

Celebrity has assured me that there will be no problem changing to late seating in the MDR if I want but you are right...I do have to wait until I am on the ship to change.

Good, just wanted to make sure someone wasn't promising something they can't deliver. Enjoy your cruise.

Are you very sure you are against the early seating option? While I have not booked this class cabin, I have hear favorable reports about the menus and I myself might not want to

Is the cruiseline willing to give you both DR's so that you can perhaps enjoy Blu early if you wish?

Not sure what to do. That's why I asked the experts! Your replys have been so very helpful. For sure we will have it all figured out by the last day of the cruise. Maybe after that I can help someone else. Departure April 12/09

stick with Blu; it is the difference between eating in an intimate restaurant with tableside preparation or the MDR with 3 tiers and almost 1500 other passengers. and the noise level in the MDR almost precludes meaningful conversation. the menu in the MDR is not nearly as good as in Blu.:)

Blu is awesome...To me it is the difference between eating at a nice restaurant vs a nice cafeteria.

Frankly, we were on a completely booked ship and had late seating in Blu and the room was always 1/4 empty each night, so I bet there is more flexibility on the ship than they will officially tell you.

I'm a late seater, too, but having been on the Solstice in AquaClass would definitely take the early Blu over late MDR. The maitre d' in Blu is phenomenal and I am sure she would move you to late seating as this comment is true - by second night, Blu was about 1/4 empty. It's worth it alone for the braised short ribs on the 3rd night. :D I would definitely recommend Blu, regardless of what time. Really worth it. I'd be very surprised if they couldn't ultimately move you to the late seating.

You will not have to eat early every night-you will be in the spec places at the times you want. also BLU and the MDR always have empty seats so you could get in. I do not think BLU has snails in garlic butter so i would go to the MDR for that.

I am considering a B2B on the Equinox in the Caribbean for 2010.

My question is: if we choose the Aqua Class cabin, do you get the same table every night in Blu?

And...will be have the option to be seated with others, rather than just a two top?

Can you please tell me the name of the Maitre D' in the Blu Restaurant as we are booked there for early seating on the cruise departing April 12th and would love to have that information ahead of time. We are so excited about this intimate experience we can hardly wait after hearing so many positive comments on this site. Thanks

Blu has more two tops than 6 or 8. only about 6 large tables. makes it hard when traveling alone. i was fine in the spec palces but bored to tears in Blu. second week on a B2B I was placed at a large table. one person wanted early, one was rude and have no idea what happen to the other couples. I left for the spec places.

We were on the Soltice Christmas 2008 and were in Aqua Class. The food in Blu was far superior that I have had on other Celebrity cruises, the staff is more attentive and they will do anything they can to make your experience enjoyable. I made the comment that I missed having Prime Rib and the Maitre D' informed us that had she known this the night they were having Prime Rib in the MDR she would have gotten us a serving. We requested escargo and were served it on more than one occasion. Most of the tables are two tops but are close enough to talk to table mates.

We were on the Soltice Christmas 2008 and were in Aqua Class. The food in Blu was far superior that I have had on other Celebrity cruises, the staff is more attentive and they will do anything they can to make your experience enjoyable. I made the comment that I missed having Prime Rib and the Maitre D' informed us that had she known this the night they were having Prime Rib in the MDR she would have gotten us a serving. We requested escargo and were served it on more than one occasion. Most of the tables are two tops but are close enough to talk to table mates.

You mean you can get those nasty little snails smothered in butter and garlic every night? Yippee!!!:) My Dr. told me she doesn't want to see me for at least 6 weeks after my 15-day T/A. :eek:

Is the food in BLU healthier (ie.lite/spa type,) more gourmet-type or just "finer rest."-type food? Are there many beef dishes or are they more scarce on the menu (assuming it is geared toward healthy eating?) I guess I am associating this dining room with the SPA experiences offered with Aqua Class. Is this a wrong assumption? :o Thanks!

Is the food in BLU healthier (ie.lite/spa type,) more gourmet-type or just "finer rest."-type food? Are there many beef dishes or are they more scarce on the menu (assuming it is geared toward healthy eating?) I guess I am associating this dining room with the SPA experiences offered with Aqua Class. Is this a wrong assumption? :o Thanks!

I think it is gourmet rather than healthy alternative.

This is a great question and one that was much discussed during my cruise (3/15) . . . the word that we all came up with was "finer" - the food in Blu is "finer" than in other restaurants (terrible grammar notwithstanding). It dawned on me that I'd had beef four nights in a row - so, yes, you'll have red meat aplenty. The braised short ribs are some of the best I've ever had - land or sea. There was a ribeye one night, so lots of choises. There's almost always a beef, seafood, poultry and vegetarian choice. I would really not associate what Blu served with "spa" food - just nicer, more refined and better made.

And the desserts -- oh, yeah.:D Definitely have the rum raisin ice cream when it's served. Although they do offer some sugar free and no sugar added desserts as well -- which were not the standard jello or faux whipped cream you sometimes get.

Some asked about the Maitre D's name . . . I never got it, but she is absolutely lovely and remembered us every night. Our waiter was Slobodan and he's TERRIFIC - if you use his name, you should be able to at least "be in the know."

We had a two-top, but it was close enough to the other tables that we made fast friends with the folks around us. But there are larger tables available where you can sit with others.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you assigned to the same table/waiter each night in Blu?

Is the size of the restaraunt equivalent to the size of the other Specialty ones?

Is breakfast and lunch served in Blu?

Can Aqua Class guests opt to eat breakfast/lunch in the MDR?

What spa amenities are included without extra charge?

Are there any extra cabin amenities that CC doesn't get?

We can upgrade from a C2 to AC for $100/pp.

I hesitate to switch because of not being able to experience the MDR (the photos of it look awesome) and we enjoy a large table.

Those are the only 2 reasons I hesitiate...Should I just get over it and book AC? :confused:

Trudy

P.S. Can you get sushi at Blu?

Are you assigned to the same table/waiter each night in Blu?

Is the size of the restaraunt equivalent to the size of the other Specialty ones?

Is breakfast and lunch served in Blu?

Can Aqua Class guests opt to eat breakfast/lunch in the MDR?

What spa amenities are included without extra charge?

Are there any extra cabin amenities that CC doesn't get?

We can upgrade from a C2 to AC for $100/pp.

I hesitate to switch because of not being able to experience the MDR (the photos of it look awesome) and we enjoy a large table.

Those are the only 2 reasons I hesitiate...Should I just get over it and book AC? :confused:

Trudy

P.S. Can you get sushi at Blu?

I can answer a couple of those due to my research. I have upgraded to AQ just recently.

You can eat breakfast and dinner in Blu - there is no lunch service. Since it is open dining in the MDR for breakfast and lunch I would assume that AQ guests can easily eat there for those meals.

I attached a diagram that I have of Blu that will give you an idea of the size. It only seats 130.

I know AQ gets unlimited access to the Persian Gardens and the Relaxation Room. For more info you can go to Schplinky's website http://web.mac.com/thecruiseguys/The_Cruise_Guys/Welcome.html

They saved everything including all the information left in their AQ cabin describing the amenities - wonderful photos, etc. I learned a lot about AQ from the information the Lee and Mike posted there. Just click on Solstice and then go through all the info.

3248916821_31c0d58d40.jpg.864aef4b22e543cb2229ec8cb1971bdf.jpg

Archived