Prinsendam upgrade

louiskam

I would like the S.S. cabins to be refitted. The carpet in our cabin needed replacing and the woodwork on the units was scratched and worn. We also found the seats in the show lounge to be uncomfortable. We kept slipping off them and I would also like them to be able to adjust the airconditioning to a more even temperature throughout the ship but other than that, I think it is a lovely ship and would sail on her again if the itinerary was to our liking.

Jennie

The Signature of Excellence enhancements will take care of most of my wishes. The current television is so small it's difficult to read words that appear on screen from the bed. The new ones will be 21" 0 27" I believe. Also, while the bed was okay, it had a bargain basement feel to it, IMO. The new Euro-top ones should really be nice. They will hopefully fix the non-flushing problems we had on our recent cruise. Our cabin was fine in other respects.

I would fix all the water pipes on board - we actually had water coming out of the light fixture in our ceiling ... thought to ourselves "Hmmm, don't think that's right!" (And no, we weren't living below the water line, we were on the Lower Promenade Deck.:D ) For a number of days the solution was a bucket - not terribly convenient. Finally some workmen came in and we think they diverted the flow because the bucket suddenly appeared in the hallway outside our door catching water that just began leaking from the ceiling. Other than that, I can't think of anything ... oh, a number of people complained that their toilets weren't working for a number of hours during the day. Maybe fix the plumbing too. :)

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I agree with Aussie Girl - the SS grade cabins need to be refurbished. Also the beds have metal bases with thin mattresses. If you have requested a double configuration they simply push the 2 singles together and put a king size sheet on. There is still a canyon in the middle!! SS040 has a noise problem under the floor of the bathroom which needs a serious look.

One of the dining room windows on the starboard side is crazed and general painting is needed.

One must remember that this a 20 year old ship and at some stage in her life ( probably the latter years with Cunard) she was poorly maintained. There were problems with the lifts (elevators) which went out of service 3 times on our recent cruise - I was told that the forthcoming drydock will address this.

Prinsendam is a lovely ship with an excellent crew and there's nothing that a bit of money spent by HAL would not put right. At the moment she carries a premium price which, in my opinion, is difficult to justify.

Yes

The theatre has all the latest technology. On the Transatlantic trip there were 3 production shows. The company comprised 3 boys and 4 girls all of which were good singers and dancers. There was an on stage orchestra although there was also a clic trac to enhance the voices. The other evenings there was a singer, a concert pianist, a magician and an impressionist. We only attended the shows which were fine. The theatre is single level, the seat raking is ok however the seats themselves are either bucket type or banquettes and are not the most comfortable.

According to Sheri, the social hostess who probably gets her informations from the captain himself, the ship will be in dry dock in Freeport, Bahamas.

The sports and observation decks (deck 12 & 13) will get partly teak decking and partly higher quality astro turf. At the moment, these 2 decks are all astro turf which is quite worn and badly stained at some places...

Carpeting will be replaced all over the ship.

And I hope they will replace the ceiling panels. Right now, the ceiling is patched up all over the ship with square "patches", which don't look very nice and really stand out.

Marc

Archived