2 Piece Bathing suit for the not slender

mailbroad

I would like to purchase a two piece bikini type bathing suit that does not have a skimpy bottom. I am not a plus size but I would probably get a 12 or 14. I want to cover the stomach area but do not want a bikini top with shorts type suit. I do not want a tankini. I already have 2 or 3!

Thank you for any suggestions for where I can buy one (or two!)!

Sometimes, too much material over the stomach area will make you tummy look even LARGER than it is! Try on several styles and see what really suits you best! (I used to wear a bottom style that was up to the navel....until my daughter told me I looked like an old lady!!!! No more! Now, it's a lower cut (caused me to do a few sit-ups!) and I have to say, my stomach appears flatter than it did with the "high-top" suit! The back of the suit has coverage--no butt cheeks hanging out!!!, but it's a much more "slimming" look. (I'm 54, BTW)

Any dept. store should be carrying suits by now, or check if there's a "swimsuit" store somewhere near you...Sand and Surf, or something like that...you HAVE to try on several styles, prints and colors!

I've always had a problem with hips and thighs. I've read several times that a solution would be to wear a printed top with a solid colored bottom to divert the attention upwards from the mid-section. A bottom that comes just below the navel works.

Few suggestions... Try Sears, they have the lands end line there where you can buy the tops and bottom seperate. The bottoms come in all sizes from skimpy, moderte coverage to full coverage.... Try them all and decide what works best for you.

A"V" bottom two piece is really flattering for many sizes. They cover your rear and hips well, with a V by the belly button. It put emphasis in the right places and at your size would work well... Have a few myself!!

Then do not discount Victoria Secret... They have greats 2 pieces that could easly flatter your size... I know you think skinny people only but not true. They have bottoms that fold over at the waist and you can wear in a variety of ways... As far as sizing, thier large is a size 12-14 perfectly.

Myself, I rarely buy bathing suits on line. I need to try them on to figure out what style/shape will work for my build.

Saw this bottom in a variety of colors on the Tommy Bahama website and I think it would be flattering if you want a little extra tummy coverage. There are many choices of tops to go with it.

TSW2211B_4568_main?$cat$

• 1 year later...

Hello! It is me again! I never got the 2 piece! ha ha My cruise is 3 weeks away and now I want one again! I love all the suggestions I got so far but was wondering if anyone knew of any online places. I could order a 2 or 3 and keep the ones I like!

Thanks.

Hello! It is me again! I never got the 2 piece! ha ha My cruise is 3 weeks away and now I want one again! I love all the suggestions I got so far but was wondering if anyone knew of any online places. I could order a 2 or 3 and keep the ones I like!

Thanks.

I've always had good luck with Land's End for swim suits. They have a pair of bottoms (I have them in black) that give a little bit of tummy control & come just below the navel. You can match with different tops. And they ship pretty quick.

Sherri:)

I've always had good luck with Land's End for swim suits. They have a pair of bottoms (I have them in black) that give a little bit of tummy control & come just below the navel. You can match with different tops. And they ship pretty quick.

I was just looking at their suits. They have a new bottom that has tummy control that I like very much. I am not sure about the swim top.

Do you think they are true to size-- for what that is worth.

I love Lands' End! I am wearing one of their turtlenecks right now!

I was just looking at their suits. They have a new bottom that has tummy control that I like very much. I am not sure about the swim top.

Do you think they are true to size-- for what that is worth.

I love Lands' End! I am wearing one of their turtlenecks right now!

Yes, I think they are true to size. The only suits I have ever liked after wearing once or twice are from Land's End. The ones I've tried on in stores have not been so successful!:D

Have fun on your cruise!

figleaves.com. You can buy tops and bottoms seperately, they have a great selection of tops based on your bra size (great for me because I have a large chest with narrow ribcage, and the regular sizing just doesn't work for me). I've never actually returned anything from there because I stick with one brand in particular and I know what size I need, but I've had great experiences with their shipping.

Try Everything But Water! They have bricks and morter stores, but also online shopping. I like it when the sales people give good advice, know their stock, and bring to your dressing room the styles they think will flatter your figure. They also have the cover ups etc to go with new swimsuit!

http://www.everythingbutwater.com/

Thanks.

I'm about the same size as you and like to shop at newportnews.com, spiegel.com, and venus.com for 2 piece suits. :)

For great online options. These suits are great. Quite pricey, but extremely well made and unique. I have 2 bikinis I bought 15 years ago that i would still wear today and that look better than most brand new suits. I did get a new Tara Grinna last year that is great too. Lots of accessories like cover ups and sarongs to match.

Tops and bottoms come in several styles - I usually get one bare-er bottom for hubby & me times, and another that covers more - kind of what you'd wear at the country club. Tops come in bra sizes and are super-duper supportive. I wear a 10-12 pant and 34DD bra - usually have good luck with size large bottoms and D-DD tops.

Good luck!!

I know you have a lot of options already, but I wanted to suggest Athleta. I just bought 2 tankinis that I love- and it's been YEARS since I've loved a swimsuit. Their "High Tide" bottoms offer great coverage and cover a bit of tummy. They also have a lot of tops that come in bra sizes, which is a huge help if you don't fit the perfectly proportioned industry-standard sizes. I'm only 5'7", but always order Tall tops to give me a little extra tummy length. Good luck!

Hello! My bathing suit(s!) report...

I ordered a bunch of suit combinations from Lands End... FAIL! I may keep one of the bottoms to wear with an old tankini top if I go in the hot tub... or just to have a cuter suit bottom than the tankini has now!

So... I am going to return them.

A guy at work told me that a store about 2 miles from my house was where his wife liked to get bathing suits. I had mentioned to him that I thought that particular store did not carry many large sizes in exercise wear... well...

I went there and the owner asked me if I needed help, blah, blah, blah...

She showed me a tankini and bottom and I thought, "yeah, right..." OMG! It is soooo cute! It is cut nicely and the fabric is beautiful! There are a lot of mix and match pieces from this company! I ended up getting: tankini top, high waist bottoms that are a few fingers below my navel, a very supportive cup and bra size bikini top(!) and a really cute swim skirt! And.... after I had checked out I ended up buying another bottom and bikini top!!!!!! The company is called Sunsets ! They were a little pricey, I guess but they are so nice! They don't make me look any smaller, lol, but I like them!!

http://www.sunsetsinc.com

Yay mailbroad! Love those suits...they are very cute!! Sometimes less fabric really is more flattering than more fabric. Which print did you pick?

I got the Calypso Beat for the 4 matching pieces and African Ocean for the top and bottom. I may go back and get a skirt coverup to match the African Ocean!

Archived