Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

It would be a cold day in H*** before another cruiseline accepted credits from a competitor for their loyalty program...whenever I have read members here posting that they will ask for that (and there have been a few of you) I have to laugh and wonder what planet these folks are from?

WHY would any business give anyone prefered treatment when ALL of their previous money went to a competitor????? That is about the most ludicrous thing I can imagine....so all I can say to those asking is "GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!!!" as I laugh my a$$ off!!

"Sure Mr Ex Loyal Royal, we will make you Princess Elite but you must PROMISE to become a Princess Cheerleader and ONLY give us your money....well at least till we change a policy and you run off crying to HAL" :D:D :rolleyes::rolleyes: Give me a break....

Thanks.........that's what I think as well........but had to put it out there!!

Had to love thata someone would have the nerve (or stupidity) to ask Princess!!:rolleyes::D

Rick

I were the head of the Crown and Anchor Society of RCCL here's the way I would have made the changes and how I would have annouced them:

==============================================

Dear Crown and Anchor Diamond Member,

We here at Royal Caribbean appreciate your loyalty over the years by sailing Royal Caribbean. We understand that our customers have many choices available to them when making their vacation decisions and we created the Crown and Anchor society to recognize and reward our most loyal customers.

By reaching Diamond level, you are among our most valuable customers and we regard your business in the past and future as the backbone of our success. We also realize that our Diamond and Diamond Plus members commonly introduce their friends and family to Royal Caribbean and we are confident the Royal Caribbean committment to quality and service will keep those new customers coming back.

We do value the relationship we've built with our repeat passengers but circumstances had compelled us to make some inconvenient changes in our rewards program. We do hope you understand the need for making these changes and continue to consider us for your future vacations.

The changes in the program are as follows:

Beginning with sailings departing on or after July 1, 2009 the complimentary happy hour on ships with a Concierge Lounge will be restricted to passengers sailing in our suite cabins of the Grand Suite category and above. We will also continue to invite Crown and Anchor members at the Diamond Plus level to join the Concierge events.

Due to attendance abuse in the past, we will upgrade the security system at the Concierge Lounge to ensure only invited guests are admitted.

Unfortunately, due to the wonderful success of the Crown and Anchor loyalty program, the number of Diamond level passengers has outgrown our capacity to host them in the Concierge Lounge.

We want to continue to express our appreciation to our Diamond members by inviting you to enjoy half price cocktails from 5:30 to 8:00 pm at all venues throughout the ship. Simply present your SeaPass card when purchasing your beverages and the prices will be automatically adjusted. This benefit is limited to 4 beverages per participant, per day.

We regret the need to reduce this program but your continued business with Royal Caribbean is vital to our success and our ability to make Royal Caribbean your favorite cruise line.

Thank you for your ongoing loyalty to Royal Caribbean International. We hope to see you onboard very soon.

==============================================

I like it! Even though I don't drink, and wouldn't be using the coupons, the entire tone of the letter still made me feel appreciated as a loyal cruiser.

What a difference a few words can make! ( Too bad it wasn't from RCL!)

I just phoned C&A again...getting rather fed up of this carryon....and wait for this....it is expected that UK C&A members will recieve their emails with regard to the changes...within a week....same answer they told me way back when this news first came out.....oh and yea...and the delay is caused because the email has to come from Miami !!!????!!

I asked why aren't UK C&A members being sent same email as our friends across the pond...answer ..."I dont know,thats all we have been told"

Thats what they told me yesterday - but the person i spoke to said they'd recieved so many complaints they might be changing it ( don't hold my breath )

jj.......

Have the CL for "suites only" as it was originally meant to be. Now that would be an interesting new twist to this (lol)

And to the person that "wrote" the release for RC announcing the cut backs--they should hire you. It is outstanding.

If they had a lounge with 1/2 drinks they would make money. Tips would cover the labor and it probably only costs them 50 cents per drink in alcohol and another buck in appetizers per person.

Tucker in Texas

I don't remember the percentage exactly, but the mark-up on drinks in the cruise industry is something like 80-90%. I know that sounds ridiculous, but that's what I was told by someone onboard one of my cruises ( a ship employee). Even a half-price drink gets them a nice profit!

I don't remember the percentage exactly' date=' [b']but the mark-up on drinks in the cruise industry is something like 80-90%. I know that sounds ridiculous,[/b] but that's what I was told by someone onboard one of my cruises ( a ship employee). Even a half-price drink gets them a nice profit!

It is not ridiculous.. I have been in the restaurant business for years and years and the mark up on a drink is usually 60% or higher. If you take away the taxes on the booze, a mark up of 80-90% is not that far off base.

No. And they shouldn't.

Really? I am a odd one then. I always decide purchases based on what I get for my money. Especially now, since money is tight. Being retired, I really can't afford to give more money for something I don't get value in return. A few dollars here and a few dollars there adds up.

Just my humble opinion. Flame away.

I'm curious, do people really pick their cars because of the fact that it has xenon headlights or an XM radio? In a competitive market, little things tip the balance.

I work in the auto industry and yes, they certainly do. (but most popular is a bluteooth handsfree phone system followed by an iPod interface)

It's all about market separation. You try to separate your product from all the others. If you can place your product at the top of the decision list you will more often win the choice.

If your product sinks into the common pool, you're just another fish looking for a hook.

It is rather simple. RC did a study and determined that the expense of "customer loyalty" was not a good investment and, they could/would disappoint their key customers and make it up with new ones or those who would accept their "insult". They would not have to reward them as they filtered out the old loyal ones and were now tied in with ones who would be satisfied with some form of loyalty recognition neglect of their investments. .

We have spent considerable dollars on RC and gave up some good cruises to new ports becasue of the recognition for being good customers. I should add that neither of us drink so it is not a matter of "free alcohol. It is the principle. We were actually looking for a European cruise or TA in Sept or Oct on RC but as they say "that ship has now sailed".and someone else can enjoy our suite. We are looking at Princess Cruises who offer better and newer ports or other cruise lines who have a recognition of not only loyal customers but new ones.

As Jackie Gleason use to say, "and away we go"..

Just where and what is a "newer port"??? The only "new" port I am aware of is Icy Straits Alaska which was opened a few years ago by RCCL. Did some new Princess Islands suddenly arise in the Carribean? :eek:

Thats what they told me yesterday - but the person i spoke to said they'd recieved so many complaints they might be changing it ( don't hold my breath )

jj.......

I just got an email which implied the changes havent finished yet :eek:

What that means exactly I dont know :confused:

I have finally had a response to my email I sent off the RCI UK last week…

Now I am extremely unhappy with what's been happening - not just because of the Concierge lounge debate, but of the way the whole C&A 'perks' have been either eliminated or downgraded, and how it has been handled by RCI.

I have only sailed once before on RCI and loved it. I have now booked another 3 cruises (Mariner & Oasis B2B) based on my enjoyment of the Freedom sailing.

For me, I was looking forward to being rewarded, no matter how small, as a repeat customer, and I was looking forward to all the additional perks I would receive. For me, that means I would naturally look towards a RCI cruise before another.

Now as far as I'm concerned, my repeat business and loyalty doesn't really count for anything (and I do realize I am only talking about my one previous RCI cruise as opposed to the many that the majority of people on here have done).

This is the view from somebody who is new to RCI and would have become a valued repeat cruiser.

From what I can gather, RCI have been cost cutting for some time now (No more chocolates left on pillow / no more late night buffets / No more daily or gala midnight buffets / Johnny Rockets fee increase / Late nite room service fee / No more in-cabin liquor purchase w/ fee / No more bringing wine onboard / No more morning ice service / No in-room beach towel service / charges for MDR meal options / food quality/choice seems to be deteriorating )

and me for one is asking where is this going to end......?

I book my holidays 18 months + in advance, and now all I can think of is what is going to happen between now and my Oasis sailing in 2010.

I have booked a product secure in the knowledge of what to expect, but with all these changes happening, who knows what will be next?

For me the changes are not so drastic, but as a first time repeat customer I was really looking forward to a C&A welcome back party, a C&A gift left in the stateroom (no matter how cheap or useless it was going to be).

Yes, for me RCI have great ships, and I am esp looking forward to sailing on Oasis, but I do have a feeling that my total cruising experience with RCI will now forever be a little bit tainted.

Yes, we are in an economic downturn, but surely its time to start giving something back instead of take, take, take!!!!!!!!

This whole thread is rich. When I complained last year about feeling nickle-and-dimed aboard the Vision, I got ripped by the RCI cheerleaders/RCs/Diamonds.

Who's got the last laugh now?

I just got an email which implied the changes havent finished yet :eek:

What that means exactly I dont know :confused:

Do you want to share it with us Liz lol put us out of our misery

jj.......

I agree - lets see what happens when RCI kick the D+'s out !!

jj......

I am diamond plus and wouldn't get my knickers in a knot if they decided to disallow us use of the concierge. I appreciate being able to use it now and enjoy the happy hours also but more times than not I don't even use the CL during a cruise. IF I am having a good time elsewhere on the ship I am not about to leave just to get a couple of free drinks. I enjoy a friendly and busy environment with entertainment and will not leave a busy bar to go to a quiet and serious CL. I enjoyed the overflow lounges because the atmosphere was more lively and now that diamond members are not able to use the lounge I will probably use it less also.

Many of my friends are diamond members or less and I prefer to enjoy a few drinks with them at the bar than to go to the CL for a couple of free drinks. However if the lounge is busy and nice people are mingling than I will continue to enjoy the perk until RCI decides otherwise. The difference is that I will not be crying fowl over this if it happens as this is a loyalty program that I HAVE NOT paid for and is a perk extended to me by the cruise line that can be removed if they desire. I cruise with RCI because I enjoy their ships and while the CL is a nice perk it is not a determining factor for me to continue cruising with RCI. I see the CL for what it is.....a perk that is nice but can be removed at any time.

Do you want to share it with us Liz lol put us out of our misery

jj.......

Sorry JJ but all it said was that as far as this person was aware there were more changes to come and it would affect everyone not just UK members.That was it. :(

This was in reply to email I sent again today about why we here hadnt got our emails yet about the changes.

It is not ridiculous.. I have been in the restaurant business for years and years and the mark up on a drink is usually 60% or higher. If you take away the taxes on the booze, a mark up of 80-90% is not that far off base.

Which is why I have said all along that it is NOT about the cost of the alcohol they serve in the CL. It really isn't costing them that much. Therefore it really must be about overcrowding and wanting to give suite passengers a better experience.

Really? I am a odd one then. I always decide purchases based on what I get for my money. Especially now, since money is tight. Being retired, I really can't afford to give more money for something I don't get value in return. A few dollars here and a few dollars there adds up.

Just my humble opinion. Flame away.

Yes, but when buying a car wouldn't safety and gas mileage be much more important when deciding between cars?

I'm not across the pond, but we are across the border and I too have not received any formal notification from Royal Caribbean regarding the C&A changes.

Have other Canadians received an e-mail?

This Canadian has received the email.;) However maybe thats because I'm diamond plus.:p:p:D

Ooooohhhh.......post 666......the devils post.:eek::D

boy oh boy, after reading 149 pages of this thread, I have to say how sad it is ONE WAY OR THE OTHER how much emotion this change has brought on and how mean people even on this board can be to each other...

I try to read the posts and see each of our opinions in them but some just seem to cross over...

I think the best part of these pages is so people can vent and get their feeling out, but maybe with a little more love in the air, no not for RCL necessarily but maybe for the fellow cruisers or if not then? :)

just my one cents worth (I left the other cent somewhere else :) )

For now. Policies change, so stay awake.

Policies do change. And, we may also be assuming 'facts not in evidence'. "They" stated that the original intent of the Concierge Lounge was 'for the suite passengers'. That may be what was in someone's head, but I don't see it on paper. At least using the info available in front of me. I have in front of me my original application for the C&A. It has a 1/02 date on the form (January 2002). There are three levels ... no Diamond Plus ... Gold, Platinum, and Diamond ... and a note "Current Silver members will be automatically upgraded to Gold."

"The benefits improve at each level. The more you cruise the more you get." And it clearly states under "Diamond - Cruise Vacation Benefits, Concierge Service on select ships." I know a couple of the Vision class ships have been retro-fitted with a CL, but I don't know when. Otherwise, the first ship that I know of that was designed and built with a CL was the Radiance ... maiden voyage 3/10/2001. So it would appear, that if the CL was ever exclusively for the suite passengers, that policy changed in nine months or less. The only thing that is clear is that the Concierge Lounge is a benefit that RCI "intended" to use as "bait" to attract (unsuspecting) customers. That is "bait" as in "bait and switch.":mad:

By the way, there are no 'disclaimers' on the form ... only, "Complete Terms and Conditions available on request." Gotcha!

Which is why I have said all along that it is NOT about the cost of the alcohol they serve in the CL. It really isn't costing them that much. Therefore it really must be about overcrowding and wanting to give suite passengers a better experience.

You have to include other factors when determining the cost. Let's say an average user of the CL consumes three drinks there per evening. Let's say the actual cost to Royal is $1 per drink. So they lose $3 per person. But that is not the end of it. That same person drinking for free at the CL may have purchased two drinks at a bar/lounge if the CL was not around. Let's say Royal makes a $6 profit on each drink sold. So now Royal is not just down $3 per person, but down $15 per person. Then factor in the cost of the chocolate covered strawberries and the hot appetizers served there that are of higher quality than what is available as snacks in the Windjammer. Probably another $1 to $2 per person. Then the staff time devoted to setting up, serving, and cleaning up. When all is said and done Royal might be losing $15-$20 per person per day who uses the CL. That add ups!

Policies do change. And, we may also be assuming 'facts not in evidence'. "They" stated that the original intent of the Concierge Lounge was 'for the suite passengers'. That may be what was in someone's head, but I don't see it on paper. At least using the info available in front of me. I have in front of me my original application for the C&A. It has a 1/02 date on the form (January 2002). There are three levels ... no Diamond Plus ... Gold, Platinum, and Diamond ... and a note "Current Silver members will be automatically upgraded to Gold."

"The benefits improve at each level. The more you cruise the more you get." And it clearly states under "Diamond - Cruise Vacation Benefits, Concierge Service on select ships." I know a couple of the Vision class ships have been retro-fitted with a CL, but I don't know when. Otherwise, the first ship that I know of that was designed and built with a CL was the Radiance ... maiden voyage 3/10/2001. So it would appear, that if the CL was ever exclusively for the suite passengers, that policy changed in nine months or less. The only thing that is clear is that the Concierge Lounge is a benefit that RCI "intended" to use as "bait" to attract (unsuspecting) customers. That is "bait" as in "bait and switch.":mad:

By the way, there are no 'disclaimers' on the form ... only, "Complete Terms and Conditions available on request." Gotcha!

Many thanks SeaLord.

Facts instead of conjecture (or, more likely, spin).

You have to include other factors when determining the cost. Let's say an average user of the CL consumes three drinks there per evening.

No way the average drinker consumes 3 drinks in the CL. More likely an average of 1-1.5, so your numbers need to be reduced by 50-66%.

Archived