Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

The Sea Prince

# of RCCL cruises = 190

190 cruises? Really? I don't mean to be rude, but how old ARE you? Are you ever on land? Really, I'm just honestly curious??? Do you live in FL or near a port?

Unless I want to go to Alaska, I have to fly a minimum of 2 1/2 hours to get to a cruise port- usually 6 hours to FL. I don't think I could LIVE long enough to take that many cruises!!:)

We've done 16 cruises in 7 years. How long did it take you to do 190?

Part of the problem seems to be deciding who RCCL considers to be their most valuable customers.

Is a diamond member who takes several cruises a year in an inside cabin on their least expensive itineraries more profitable to RCCL than passengers who book a high end suite for their most expensive itineraries, during peak season, but cruise only once a year?

190 cruises? Really? I don't mean to be rude' date=' but how old ARE you? Are you ever on land? Really, I'm just honestly curious??? Do you live in FL or near a port?

Unless I want to go to Alaska, I have to fly a minimum of 2 1/2 hours to get to a cruise port- usually 6 hours to FL. I don't think I could LIVE long enough to take that many cruises!!:)

We've done 16 cruises in 7 years. How long did it take you to do 190?[/quote']

It will be interesting to hear how long they have taken to get to 190 cruises.........but I can tell you that we have cruised now 74 times in 12 years......our 75th coming up week after next.

And we know some that cruise so much more than we do, that in the same timeframe........they have over 160 cruises.......so, 190 cruises, say in 15 to 20 years, or even less, is not out of line for those few that love to cruise.:)

Rick

Part of the problem seems to be deciding who RCCL considers to be their most valuable customers.

Is a diamond member who takes several cruises a year in an inside cabin on their least expensive itineraries more profitable to RCCL than passengers who book a high end suite for their most expensive itineraries, during peak season, but cruise only once a year?

But please remember the bait and switch ... they gave us these priveledges (this does not affect me) and now they have taken them away. They made us excited about working towards it...gave us luxuries, and then said, ok ! forget it! You can argue all day over 'who deserves it more' but thats not the point...should it go by what deck you choose, should it go by dollars spent? it does not matter...what matters is that it has been taken away, and that has affected alot of people. They can get away with it, they can make up the rules as they go...they are not regulated, they make up their own laws their own procedures and they can change it just like that...we as the customer know in advance and can choose another line, atleast we know.

There is one obvious solution that no one has mentioned yet !

We must tar and feather the ships in Port of Miami!!!:p

And if you're to make it a yearly requal, I think there should be a "sail this many to maintain per year" as a kicker on the life time numbers. But this gets too gray for me to figure out for the company for free.

Great post.

I think YEARLY requalifying is too frequent for most of their customers. Sure, those on this board could do it, but I think that is the exception vs the rule. I don't know the answer, and agree - ain't gonna spend much time on it FOR FREE!!!

I get your point about suite occupants being valuable but your argument assumes that Diamond passengers only stay in insides and that just isn’t true. When RCI made this change, they did it to ALL Diamonds, even the one's who are always in Jr. Suites that cruise 2-4 times a year in more expensive itineraries and at peak season.

RCI didn't have a hard time making the decision...it was Diamonds, all of em.

I've been reading this thread out of curiousity from time to time and as a former loyal RCI guest I'm amazed at some of what I've read. My decision to stop sailing with RCI came after many great cruises with the line--it happened when the ships became amusement parks. I prefer to cruise in an environment that is not like State Fair midway and have happily found a few cruise lines that I love.

My amazement from this thread is that most of you apparently have no understanding of what is going on in today's economy. People are out of work and are unable to make their mortgage payments--they've lost their health insurance and are struggling to buy groceries; companies are also struggling to survive because many of these people are no longer able to pay for a cruise or any other vacation. And RCI is no different than any other company in today's economy--they are doing things so that they will, hopefully, still be around when and if our economies ever improve.

So instead of stressing out about losing an overcrowded lounge and a few free drinks, be thankful that you still have the means to take a cruise.

Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but on 4/10 they have Talk Radio with Ken Muscat who is RCCL's Vice President of Sales. They are inviting people to call in with cruise experience questions. They are also inviting folks to call in to 'share your thoughts' with them!

Think the lines will be busy? :)

I've been reading this thread out of curiousity from time to time and as a former loyal RCI guest I'm amazed at some of what I've read. My decision to stop sailing with RCI came after many great cruises with the line--it happened when the ships became amusement parks. I prefer to cruise in an environment that is not like State Fair midway and have happily found a few cruise lines that I love.

My amazement from this thread is that most of you apparently have no understanding of what is going on in today's economy. People are out of work and are unable to make their mortgage payments--they've lost their health insurance and are struggling to buy groceries; companies are also struggling to survive because many of these people are no longer able to pay for a cruise or any other vacation. And RCI is no different than any other company in today's economy--they are doing things so that they will, hopefully, still be around when and if our economies ever improve.

So instead of stressing out about losing an overcrowded lounge and a few free drinks, be thankful that you still have the means to take a cruise.

Very well said Betty. I will miss our diamond perks, but its not the end of the world. We enjoyed the CL while we could use it, but we will survive without it. We may have to cruise less now, witht he economy the way it is, but we have wonderful memories.

Jan

And once again I stress that most (not all, but most) of us have said it disappoints us and we wonder if cutting perks to loyal customers is a good business decision in this economy. And I'm pretty sure we're all aware that the economy is tough out there. And again, most of us have said that what it does is just make RCCL more like the rest of the cruise lines. It makes many of us that haven't tried other lines more likely to do so.

I keep seeing posts about why would we try another line, the grass isn't always greener, yada, yada, yada. Well, I'll use RCCL's tag line, WHY NOT? Why wouldn't I go out and try some others and see what I think? Sure, in the end I might decide that RCCL has the best cruises for me and maybe become loyal based on that. But until I try others, how do I make that assumption?

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, it's all good. RCCL made their decision. They believe they can fill the revenue lost by straying regulars with reduced freebies and more suite guest/first timers. And while I don't care for the policy change, I DO hope it is the right one for them. I don't want to see them go under. Because I know I'll still cruise RCCL some in between trying some others.

Another way to increase revenue would be to fill up the ships and lower their prices like the "other" cruise lines are doing. My wife and I, plus another couple, just cancelled a total of 36 cruise nights in favor of Princess for a Greek Isles cruise. The savings was ~$3,000 plus we now have a Mini-suite vs standard balcony stateroom.

And we know some that cruise so much more than we do, that in the same timeframe........they have over 160 cruises.......so, 190 cruises, say in 15 to 20 years, or even less, is not out of line for those few that love to cruise.:)

On my last Majesty cruise, there was a couple from Fisher Island (the island that ferry goes to in the Port of Miami) that cruised over 100 times on that ship alone. They knew all the crew by name and even paid for the wedding of one of the crewmembers. These people cruise on that ship every couple of weeks.

On my last Majesty cruise, there was a couple from Fisher Island (the island that ferry goes to in the Port of Miami) that cruised over 100 times on that ship alone. They knew all the crew by name and even paid for the wedding of one of the crewmembers. These people cruise on that ship every couple of weeks.

Good imput Paul!! If riding on the Washington State Ferry system would count.....just the mainland to Whidbey Island........I was commuting 5 days a week for years. Back and forth.......that runs about 500 times per year for me..........giving me a total number of cruises in excess of 5000!!:D:D:D

But, I don't think a 18 minute ferry ride.....twice a day.....counts!!:eek::rolleyes:

Oh, and one of the captains.......that I grew up with, on Whidbey Island, now lives about 8 miles from us here in Scottsdale. We have even cruised together!

Oh......sorry.......I was getting off of the main track of this thread.........how to beat a dead horse. Unfortunately, and I would liket to think otherwise........RCCL has made it's decision. It's a decision that I don't go along with......there could have been a better way to handle all of this....but they have taken it upon themselves to stomp on Diamonds feet......and many are feeling it.

They certainly need a lesson in PR!!

Rick

Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but on 4/10 they have Talk Radio with Ken Muscat who is RCCL's Vice President of Sales. They are inviting people to call in with cruise experience questions. They are also inviting folks to call in to 'share your thoughts' with them!

Think the lines will be busy? :)

:eek:

So, what station is this... and do they have a website with live streaming? What time tomorrow?

I just now stumbled upon this thread, yeah I know I'm late, but my baby keeps me busy.

I am one of those that are very saddened to learn of the policy changes and can't imagine what RCCL must be thinking. I believe in my heart that they put the moron in charge that day this decision was made. I would have liked to have seen the existing Diamonds grandfathered in. Or at the very least I would have liked to have seen a Diamonds get 1/2 price drinks at all bars around the ship during happy hour hours. I too liked the CL for the cocktails before dinner, but also liked the appetizers and the coffees that we got in the lounge. The ice show tickets were a nice touch, and the concierge getting us our tour tickets was awesome so we didn't have to stand in the shore excursions line. It was a great time chatting with other diamond members, and since I prefer the smaller ships, I will miss the access to the CL.

I am not in a huge hurry to try and get to D+ just so that RCCL can change their C&A program benefits the second I reach that status. I too think its a carrot that they keep dangling in front of their loyal customers and don't have the money or desire to play their stupid game. I think its arrogance on RCCLs part for them to think they are the only cruise line out there, and I am one of those offended loyal cruisers who will now actually sail other lines that are cheaper and have bigger cabins. Many many many times I've actually paid more for an RCCL sailing when another line was doing the exact same itinerary on a similar sized ship. I wanted the cruise credits so that I could be a diamond. NO one gave me my cruises, I had to spend my husband's money to sail all those times! I agree with the analogy that you let me drive at 16, now why are you taking it away until Im 21? Why are you punnishing your loyal cruisers, RCCL?

RCCL, I know you as a company are trying to save money because you're probably hurt in this economy, but are you actually thinking this change is going to do you any good? Doesn't it take more money to entice a new customer than it does to keep an existing customer? I shouldn't be surprised though. Look at what you've done in recent years.

First (in my experience) you take away Free soda in the dining room for dinner. I'm not a huge soda drinker, but it was nice to have the option.

Then you start charging a corkage fee and the only way around that was to have the wine in our cabin (back when icruise travel agents sent wine to the cabins).

Then you do something funky with the menu and while the food was very good, it somehow wasn't as good as it was on my first few cruises. It was still edible and I didn't have to clean up so that was nice, but it just didn't taste the way I remembered it. I don't know what changed, but if you could cook they way they did on the Explorer in 2001, I'd really appreciate it.

Oh and then you briliantly moved the Monarch from So Cali. Yes, that was genius! You claim you didn't make any money ... are you freaking kidding me? That damn ship was packed every time I tried to sail her. And from what I remember of seeing the drunk people at sailaway and at Dueling Pianos, I know you couldn't be hurting for bar sales!

Oh and another brilliant move, getting rid of dueling pianos. Yeah that show was boring ... lol ... Im glad you came to your senses :eyeroll:

And now this silly decision to change the benefits for Diamond Conceirge Lounges. I can hardly wait to see what you have next for us loyal passengers.

If RCCL is really hurting enough to make this dumb decision, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if RCCL starts charging for the stuff we take for granted onboard their ships. First lets start with water and electricity usage. You know, like your utilities at home. You pay for every time you turn on the cabin lights, and when you run the AC, and run the water for toilets and showers. If you like that idea you'll love the "Save the Paper" campaign. Yes each cabin will get 1 roll of toilet tissue per cruise and if you need more you will incur a $10 tree killing fee, per roll. Oh and lets not forget a bath towel convenience fee. Yes, everytime you want a clean towel its going to cost you! Laundry soap isn't free, people!! Of course if you choose to "save the waves" and use the same towel over and over, you'll have to buy the towel at the end of the voyage because no one is going to want to touch that towel when you're done using it! Oh and are you hungry at dinner time? Well thats great news because RCCL will start charging for every extra item you order off of their main dining room menus! You're allowed one appetizer, one salad, one entree, and one dessert. Any extra items that you order will incur an extra charge! And don't forget the deck chair rental. Yes you thought that uncomfortable chair was free? Well not anymore! The economy sucks, folks! From now on it will be $1 rental fee per hour and if you want a staff member to save that chair for you, it'll be an additional $5. Speaking of service, if you like your cabin attendant's services then you'll have to pay his daily wages to have him keep coming back. Yes the first day is free, every additional day is an extra charge, just like housekeeping services you have at home. In order to get around the high cost of fuel, all passengers will be weighed at the end of the voyage and will be subject to a "hauling your tush around" fee. Gas isn't cheap, people !!! It takes more gas to lug around an adult than it does a child. So the smaller you are, the smaller your fuel surcharge. Do you enjoy music by the pool? Great, because you're going to have to buy tickets to listen to the band play calypso music for your enjoyment! Oh and that spectacular ice show will no longer be complimentary. The tickets will now be $50 per person, just like at the ice capades! And if you like the dancing shows and comedians, then you'll love our new 2 beverage minimum policy! Maybe if you get a little tipsy that comedian will actually be funny!

I am not about to beat my "this doesn't really affect me" drum. I am affected, but am also thankful that since James' arrival I don't really have much extra money to cruise. So I will take my greatly-reduced cruising budget to a cruise line that offers something I can easily afford. The great part about these changes is that I no longer feel guilty when sailing another cheaper line. I used to sail RCCL no matter what because I wanted the cruise credits. Since this decision they've shown me that they don't care if they loose my business, so I will be a nation of Why Not ... try another cruise line! (great tagline, by the way!)

I'm awaiting my email response from RCI. However, I'm certain it will be the same canned email everyone else is getting saying too bad and suffer.

They are overloaded with these emails... not a bad thing IMHO... I waited 7 days for my response.

I agree about your assessment that RCL has become an amusement park not a cruise. I too started cruising with other lines last year that are more geared toward cruising.

Another way to increase revenue would be to fill up the ships and lower their prices like the "other" cruise lines are doing. My wife and I, plus another couple, just cancelled a total of 36 cruise nights in favor of Princess for a Greek Isles cruise. The savings was ~$3,000 plus we now have a Mini-suite vs standard balcony stateroom.

Good for you!:) RCI has been grossly overpriced in my opinion for years primarily because of it's current midway-like experience. "The old gray mare ain't what it used to be!";)

Lastly, the lounges would probably be less crowded if the concierge better monitored who they let in. I know for a fact that many guests in the clubs, were not diamond members or suite guests, rather friends of them. I brought in several relatives with me, who shouldn't have been there and the concierge never said a word. I would have understood if they were asked not to come back.

This is why on the Liberty we asked our Concierge for permission to bring them in before we invited non diamonds to visit the lounge with us. And before you others get all weird and insinuate that the concierge allowed us to bring our friends in because they feared what rejecting our request would do to their tips, let me just tell you that you weren't there, and you didn't hear the tone of the request. It wasn't presented to Kristina in a way that said "let our friends in or no tip for you!". Kristina said that her allowing of non diamonds depends on each cruise. And since on our sailing there weren't that many diamonds plusses and suite guests, she felt it would be ok. But she told us she has rejected others' similar requests in the past. It just depended on how many C&A Diamonds she had that cruise. :D

They are overloaded with these emails... not a bad thing IMHO... I waited 7 days for my response.

After I sent three or four E-mails, I stopped getting the 'same' standard response. The new 'standard' response: Thank you for your e-mail regarding your recent cruise vacation with Royal Caribbean International. We apologize for any delay in our response. Your comments about the changes to the Crown & Anchor Society are truly appreciated. As we are continuously seeking to improve benefits for our Crown & Anchor Society members, we welcome your feedback. Please note that we have forwarded your suggestion for further review.

I just now stumbled upon this thread, yeah I know I'm late, but my baby keeps me busy.

I am one of those that are very saddened to learn of the policy changes and can't imagine what RCCL must be thinking. I believe in my heart that they put the moron in charge that day this decision was made. I would have liked to have seen the existing Diamonds grandfathered in. Or at the very least I would have liked to have seen a Diamonds get 1/2 price drinks at all bars around the ship during happy hour hours. I too liked the CL for the cocktails before dinner, but also liked the appetizers and the coffees that we got in the lounge. The ice show tickets were a nice touch, and the concierge getting us our tour tickets was awesome so we didn't have to stand in the shore excursions line. It was a great time chatting with other diamond members, and since I prefer the smaller ships, I will miss the access to the CL.

so I will be a nation of Why Not ... try another cruise line! (great tagline, by the way!)

Hi Jen...........what a great post!! I didn't cut out the middle to offend anyone........just wanted to shorten it up a bit.

I think that you are "spot on"!!:)

We miss cruising with you!!

Rick

Its all good, Rick :) I have a tendancy to ramble on .... !

Yes we had great times on the Monarch. Too bad she isn't in our backyard for us to sail anymore. That sure was one fun cruise! We miss you too!

I feel that RCCl is whining .... "Oh no, we have to change the benefits we offer because our loyal customers are sailing on our cruise line too frequently ..... our wallets are too small for our $50 dollar bills and our diamond encrusted shoes are too tight!" .... (that last one is from Chandler Bing, I am not that creative)

Good for you!:) RCI has been grossly overpriced in my opinion for years primarily because of it's current midway-like experience. "The old gray mare ain't what it used to be!";)

And for that we can be thankful. I am glad to see at least one cruise line change with the times. I like different things on different cruise lines. When I want sedate and quite, I like Holland America. When I want a little more excitement on a nicer ship, I choose Princess or Royal.

Archived