x-mas cruises

cruzin w chris

i am thinking of booking a christmas cruise for 2009 and am wondering if any cruise lines go all out as far as decorating or do they pretty much not do much at all. also we are used to spoiling the kids rotten at xmas when at home and i would like to know how much if at all do you cut down on gifts seeing as you are on a costly cruise during the holiday. thanks for your replies.

I've only been on Christmas cruises on Carnival and Royal Caribbean but both lines definitely had a lot of decorations and special activities. In my family, we've never exchanged gifts on a Christmas cruise as you have to pack the stuff there (and it may get unwrapped by security) and then you have to lug the stuff back. If we had any small gifts we'd give them before we'd go, but in reality, the cruise was really the gift.

We have done one x-mas cruise and others I have talked to (different cruise lines) say it’s about the same. They do decorate the ship with various lights, trees, and other stuff. Santa does make an appearance for the children. But gift giving seemed to not be that big, but we weren’t in everyones cabin either (lol).

Have a great cruise!

John

We've cruised at Christmas twice now, with a third planned this year. We absolutely love it, many extended families are aboard and the ships are usually decorated quite tastefully.

In the past, we've allowed our kids to open their "big" gifts at home prior to leaving and we take along their stockings stuffed with little things.

We have taken along small decorations for our cabins as well, a string of lights, a tiny (fake) tree. We see a lot of cabin doors decorated at this time of year.

We really like getting away from all the stress of the holidays and would cruise every Christmas if our budget allowed :)

We were on the Island Princess for the holiday cruise in 2005/06, which covered three holidays: Christmas, Hanukkah, and New Years. The ship was decorated to the hilt when we boarded. There was holiday music. The waitstaff in the buffet wore Santa hats. The kids did holiday oriented arts and crafts and had a Christmas Day party.

There was a rabbi, reverend and priest onboard for services. We went to the first night of Hanukkah menorah lighting, and the lounge was full. Several families brought their menorah on the cruise and to the service, and the rabbi invited all the kids to come up and help him light the candles.

We decorated our cabin with a foam sticky menorah and little tree ornaments.

It was nice being away from all the stress and craziness back home. In fact, we're considering this cruise for next year.

We were on the Diamond Princess for Christmas and New Years in December '07 and was very highly decorated for the hollidays. There were lots of Christmas activities including religous services, carol singing, gingerbread house building, festive meals and a visit from Santa.

We did a family cruise at Christmas when I was about 9. Instead of all the grand kids getting presents from everyone, and the parents getting nothing we did a secret Santa. That was my favorite Christmas. I wish we still did it like that actually.

The ship was decorated and I remember exchanging gifts in a lounge area in the lobby. I forget what ship we were on though.

This year DF and I are going on a Christmas cruise. We are not doing presents, except we always say that so I assume we will do a few small gifts.

We have done 2 christmas cruises with our kids. I loved them. What made them so special is that Carnival had a Christmas program that all the kids were in. They got to sing on stage with the dancers and singers, then santa came and each kid got a gift from him. I have the videos from both cruises and it is one of my favorite memories. My kids were between 5 and 10 when they did this. If they were a little older they probably would not have enjoyed being in the show as much.

They also do all the cheese and chocolate carvings for Christmas with a nativity scene and all.

Christmas time was much less stressful on a cruise ship, no cookies to make, no decorating. I loved it and would do it again.

We left the presents at home and opened them when we got back. The kids had such a great time, they had completely forgotten about presents.

We've taken Christmas cruises on Princess, Celebrity, and HAL. A couple of our Royal Caribbean cruises were in December. All the cruise lines decorate. It's just the two of us, so we don't do a lot of presents. We have taken photos of items and exchanged gift certificates.

We did Christmas 2007 on Mariner of the Seas. I would cruise every Christmas if I could. So much less stress, no worries. We drew names (there were 9 of us) and set a price limit of $10. Kept it simple but so much fun. The ship was decorated, carols being sung. Had a great parade and Christmas caroling on Christmas Eve. We attended Midnight Mass in the theater. It was really nice that Christmas Day was spent at sea so we got to truly relax and enjoy the day and each other. The cruise was our main gift and just basically did stockings when we got back.

• 1 month later...

2007with Norwegian Dream NCL (since sold) not much in way of decorations but special Christmas dinner and a Christmas concert. Im sure the kids got presents Santa was on board.

Christmas 2008 on Coral Princess had the Wow! factor absolutely stunning, decorations everywhere and snow falling in the atrium it was beautiful carol singers gingerbread house decorating and all sorts of activities for the kids and even a stocking filled with candies on my bed on Christmas Eve. I dont think there was a special Christmas concert.

This years cruise for Xmas 2009 will definately be white in Antarctica on Marco Polo .

i am thinking of booking a christmas cruise for 2009 and am wondering if any cruise lines go all out as far as decorating or do they pretty much not do much at all. also we are used to spoiling the kids rotten at xmas when at home and i would like to know how much if at all do you cut down on gifts seeing as you are on a costly cruise during the holiday. thanks for your replies.

We did carnival a few years ago, they had lights, and many themed decorations and as other posters mentioned activities around Christmas themed. Were they the kind I consider "spoiling rotten" no, but no question you knew it was a holiday cruise and it made for a very special Holiday for us, till the dancing by the waiters started ( on the tables :eek: )

As the kids have gotten older we've weened the kids from the gifts and other western bad habits and now enjoy the simple themed time togather. From that point of view traveling someplace is in many ways the perfect activity; family time, quality time, no gifts ( as you are traveling ;) ). Sounds like the prefect holiday to me :D

We are also thinking about booking a cruise for Christmas this year. We just returned from a cruise on Sunday (Conquest) and paid for the future booking. Has anyone ever sailed on the Carnival Triumph during Christmas? We are trying to decide between the Triumph the week of Christmas or the Conquest in early December.

Sounds like a lot of fun. I always wondered what Christmas would be like on a cruise and if I'd regret it in the end. Here in Maine, we always have snow and real trees, we decorate the house inside and out. Cook and bake for weeks. We have all our friends for Christmas Eve and are with family on Christmas Day. You have given me something to think about. Thanks!

• 9 months later...
If you are flying with gifts' date=' you need to keep them unwrapped until you get off the plane. Airport security and those in line after you don't want to hassle with unwrapping your gifts.[/quote']

i think its probably best to open them at home just before you cruise as it would be less to lug around.

Archived