Formal night on Princess - Help!

This probably isn't what you want to hear but in my opinion a blazer and khaki's are not formal. We're doing Princess in May and my DH is bringing his tux, but only because he has one and it's easy; he'll bring a sport coat and dress slacks as well. If he didn't have a tux, he'd bring a dark suit. I'm sure you'll have a great time whatever you decide.

Thanks for your honest reply. Not sure what he wants to do yet ... If he wears blue blazer w/jeans on plane can pack khakis and hopefully not have to check a bag. If he wants to wear suit I guess we'll just check a bag. My goal in life is to go on a 7 day cruise w/a carry on bag and a backpack ......:o

This is only my personal opinion, but I would think the question could perhaps be "will DH feel out of place in a suit rather than a tux" versus "will DH feel out of place in a blazer/khakis rather than a suit" for formal night. I agree with smoothdancer that blazer/khakis is an outfit more suited to non-formal evenings (although I don't think you'll see lots of men in blazers on smart casual night, but certainly shirts/ties are popular.)

Enjoy your cruise!

would DH be out of place in a navy blazer/khaki slacks/tie on formal night rather than a suit?

Yes, he'll be dressed out of place in a blazer & khaki's.

Will they allow him to enter the dining room? Yes.

• 4 weeks later...

For a week long cruise there are usually 2 formal nights. I take a tux and my USAF military mess dress, a formal wear uniform. The DW insists on that. Dark suits are fine, especially with the restrictions on how much weight you can have in your airline baggage. On our Panama Canal cruise in 2005, there was a retired British army officer from Scotland. He brought his mess dress which included a kilt. He was an instant hit. :)

Dominick

Carnival Fantasy- Bahama's 2003

Carnival Pride- Mexico 2004

Sun Princess- Panamal Canal 2005

Carnival Valor- Caribbean 2006

Norwegian Pearl- Bermuda/Caribbean 2007

Golden Princess- Mexico 2008

the men wear either suits with tie or a tux on formal night, and the ladies wear long formal gowns or very formal cocktail length dresses... this I would say is the majority, but this is only my opinion. It really depends on the Maitre d' and his word is the word.

On my most recent Princess cruise in December the Maitre d' did turned away folks dressed as you stated, but it was probably a one-off, small ship longer cruise.

I would say have your husband should dress however he wishes and if you get an overly zealous Maitre d' just be prepared to deal with it. :o

Have a fabulous cruise!

VB1

If your DH wants to wear a dark suit on formal night, he could wear the suit jacket with a pair of slacks for the flight, packing his suit pants, dress shirt and tie. Then at least he doesn't have to worry about packing the jacket. My DH always travels in a blazer and dress pants, but packs his tux so he's also got options for attending the Pinnacle restuarant, etc.

Smooth Sailiing! :):):)

If the goal is merely to reduce luggage, you can rent a tux and all the kit through Princess; it will be in your room when you arrive. No fuss and not that expensive.

I agree with the other posters that he would definitely be in the minority with the khaki pants/blazer attire on formal night.

Archived