Stingrays HMC

mattR

I'm not Ruth, but...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=2459185#post2459185

As posted by SecretIdentity2

According to what we were told on the Oosterdam, the stingray excursion was added Thursday Nov. 11, with our stop at HMC being Saturday the 13th. Dear Spouse and I signed up for the second to last scheduled time at 2:30 pm, and met at the information booth near the dock. As it turns out, since it was such a new option, we were the only two people on that trip, and it was essentially a private excursion!

They took the two of us out to the lagoon in the big bench truck, back along the beach and to the right. They have a changing building with showers, and a covered deck next to the lagoon. DS had snorkeled before, so they gave him the quick briefing, and let him go in, while they explained a few more simple things to me, about five minutes or so. They provided masks, snorkels, water socks, and the float vest, which you return at the end of your session. From the deck, you walk down a few steps right into a penned off section of the lagoon.

During the briefing, they specifially said we should stay floating, and don't allow people to stand due to coral in the penned area. I would guess the water was 7-9 feet deep (very rough guess), and they told us they had about 20 stingrays, but we saw maybe 2-5 at any one time. After we swam over them and took pictures for awhile, they called us over to the steps, and another diver corralled one so we could pet and feed it. Then we swam a little while longer until the truck came back, then got out and rinsed off and changed at the other building. We had about 20 minutes in the water, I believe. No one had signed up for the 3:00 swim, so the staff rode back on the truck with us.

DS and I thought it was wonderful, although having the entire place to ourselves made it especially nice. We signed up using the on-ship kiosk, and judging by the number of spaces left, it looked like they planned on taking about 20 people per excursion. Santa Fe Jim is correct at it being $39 per person.

I didn't see anything about the horses or waterpark, so can't speak about those, but will try to answer any other questions if I can.

~ A.- I will report our experience upon our return. It is only proper to return the favor to all of those on this board from whom I have already received much information (thanks Jean!). Hopefully we will be able to post a ton of photos of the ship as well.

Our family chose this particular ship because of the number of nights, port of departure and availability when we booked at the end of July. After reading a good number of negatives regarding HAL'S food and service on this board, it should be interesting to find out for ourselves. I personally am not going to expect perfection on a sold out cruise ship on a holiday sailing. The four generations of our family are spread out along the east coast so being together is most important to us.

3 of the 4 children have sailed previously with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, Their comparison between the cruise lines should be interesting as well.

Here are links to some of the the best photos of the Zaandam that I have been able to find (if you find others, just let me know):

http://community.webshots.com/album/76347024qicUCF

http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/panamacanal/Menu18.html

http://xpeditionreviews.com/v-web/gallery/Zaandam-Review-Photos

Archived