Black & White Ball

Iris5383

We had one the last time I did the Hawaii cruise, and there's no reason I know of to think you wouldn't have one, too.

The Ball is held on a formal night. Most people keep to the theme, and incorporate those colors in their clothing. The dining room will be decorated in black and white. Later in the evening the dance will be held. The room for the Ball will also be docorated. At the set hour the officers will parade in. There will be special dances, with prizes awarded for various reasons (ask an officer to dance; if he has a "ticket" you win, kind of thing).

It's a festive event. Go and enjoy.

The Black and White Ball usually starts out in the Show lounge around 10 or 10:30 -- depends on the ship. Sometimes it is moved to the Crow's Nest -- on the smaller ships.

The Captain, officers, etc aree there -- it is held on a formal night -- passengers usually dress in black and white -- not required.

The ladies are given a dance card as they enter the lounge and get it signed by the various officers, etc whom they dance with. Or you can just dance with your own partner. The captain usually stays on the stage where the ladies approach him for dances.

Some prizes are given out.

After an hour or so it is over and some of the officers will go to a bar where they mingle with the passengers.

We didn't have one on our Hawaiian cruise as the ship was in Code Red.

Will we have one on our Panama cruise? How do you know if you are having a Black and White ball on your cruise?

You should. But these things change from ship to ship and from Captain to Captain. Some are fancier than others. Some are over fairly soon and others have been known to continue in the Crows Nest until the wee hours. Whichever type your ship will have I am sure you will have fun.

]

I've not been on a cruise with a black & white ball. What's it like? :confused: Would we have one on a 15-day Circle Hawaii cruise? :confused:

Thanks!:)

Here are some pics from the one (the B&W Ball) on Prinsendam a couple of years ago

Prinsendam42Day9CaptGundersonatthee.jpg?t=1238547897

Prinsendam44Day9ChiefEngineerJacobW.jpg?t=1238548229

Prinsendam45Day9ThePrinsendamsoffic.jpg?t=1238548271

Is there meant to be a black and white ball on every cruise...or just some? the recent 10-day Caribbean cruise on the Noordam I went on in December didn't have one I don't think.

Thanks for all the answers. I hope we do have one on our Hawaii cruise, sounds like fun!

John - thanks for the photos. There's something about seeing those guys in dress uniform that makes me feel very . . . um . . . good! ;) :).

Thanks for all the answers. I hope we do have one on our Hawaii cruise, sounds like fun!

John - thanks for the photos. There's something about seeing those guys in dress uniform that makes me feel very . . . um . . . good! ;) :).

Awwwwwwwwwwwwrighty then;)

hahaha i agree!:)

Also, cruises may have a Holiday that will trump the Black & White Ball... for instance Valentine's day may see a dance with a Red theme instead, New Year's might incorporate traditional party hats & noisemakers, etc.

Also, cruises may have a Holiday that will trump the Black & White Ball... for instance Valentine's day may see a dance with a Red theme instead, New Year's might incorporate traditional party hats & noisemakers, etc.

Quite right! We had an amazing New Year's Eve party on the Maasdam:):):)

Noordam -- this year -- Feb 12 -- cruise began -- Feb 13 -- formal night

Feb 14 - smart casual -- nothing special anywhere except a dance at 11 PM in the Crow's Nest -- hardly anyone attended because it was so late at night and many people had to get up early for tours the next morning.

Noordam -- this year -- Feb 12 -- cruise began -- Feb 13 -- formal night

Feb 14 - smart casual -- nothing special anywhere except a dance at 11 PM in the Crow's Nest -- hardly anyone attended because it was so late at night and many people had to get up early for tours the next morning.

And on the flip side: Ryndam this year 13-23 FEB 09

Valentine's Day: Red and white balloons all over the place in the dining room and Crow's Nest. Everyone got a little Happy Valentine card in their cabin. It was a formal night! A good time was had by all/most;) Probably has a lot to do with the CD and how good he/she is

We'll be on board during Thanksgiving, . . . A Turkey Trot? . . .:D

And on the flip side: Ryndam this year 13-23 FEB 09

Valentine's Day: Red and white balloons all over the place in the dining room and Crow's Nest. Everyone got a little Happy Valentine card in their cabin. It was a formal night! A good time was had by all/most;) Probably has a lot to do with the CD and how good he/she is

Many people inquired about why the nights couldn;t be switched.

We all got the same "LAME" excuse -- Seattle ordered it that way!!

WHAT???? Who are they kidding??

Probably has a lot to do with the CD and how good he/she is

I'm betting that itinerary also has something to do with it. If the ship has left port relatively early, and has a sea day the next day, then I would expect there's better opportunity for something festive. If Feb. 14th was a late port, and the next day is also a port day---then less likely to be a celebration.

Archived