Live From the Caribbean Princess - 4/5 - 4/12

LoraJ

Do you know if you can book one of the specialty restaurants as soon as you get on ship (even if they aren't open yet)? And can you call in or do you have to do it in person?

Usually there will be desk set up somewhere to take these reservations after you board. Calling the Dine line on your stateroom phone should also work.

Okay, I know I'm not crazy but now it shows on the water to St. Thomas:cool:. I'm not home from work yet so drinking is not the issue. Must have been a webcam malfuntion, certainly not the 'user error':D.

Just curious, why does the webcam show docked in St. Thomas today (Friday) and not tomorrow?

The ship left Dominica at 4:00PM, all I see is the "sea" enroute to St Thomas. You posted just after 4:00 and it's now almost 6:00 PM, that could be the difference in what I'm seeing and what you saw.

Hello everyone! We are now sailing towards St. Thomas. I can't believe tomorrow is our last day already.

Yes there is cell service on the ship. There is someone using their phone in here now. :)

When I made our Crown Grill reservation, they had tables set up on the Promenade deck outside of Sabatini's. They had tables for CG, Sabatini's and to deal with issues with the regular dining room.

We really enjoyed our Crown Grill meal last night. The food was very good. My only disappointment was that they seemed to bring everyone a birthday cake but me. :( I handed them the card I was given when we arrived. We mentioned something on the way out and they noted my cabin number. Some time during evening they delivered to our cabin a note of apology, a cake and a platter of chocolate dipped strawberriers. I thought that was very nice. :)

Today we were in Dominica and I really enjoyed it. We did the Ti Tou Gorge Hot Springs escape tour and I think it was my favorite excursion ever. Although I feel a bit woozy from the roads, but it was worth it! I will be posting photos and video when I get home.

I want to mention something else with the motion of the ship. Most of the time it hasn't been so bad, but there are times when it is a bit more extreme. Still not a swaying motion, but a faster side to side motion.

And also now that I have had more time in our cabin, the only noise from above that I find annoying is running kids. And people who can't figure out what seating configuration they want and move the chairs for what seems like eternity. But it really isn't that bad, just a bit louder when you are on the balcony. I really love the location of the cabin though.

I'm off to get ready for dinner. It is formal night and everyone is dressed up. I feel a bit out of place so may change into a dress even though we plan on doing room service again.

Toodles!

Thank you so much for your live from thread. We have sailed the CB 3 times now and so looking forward to sailing her again on October on the repo. It's a whole new ship for us with all of the changes!

Almost the same for us. Three times on her last year and now we will be on her next month for the repo from San Juan to NYC. It will be like a new ship with the new changes. Our cruise last month on the Ruby gave us a little idea what some of the new change will be like with the new Piazza. We are so looking forward to it.

Lora,

These live reports are soooo great. Thanks for taking your time to write them for us.

Thanks so much, so far love the reviews. Stupid question, on the buffet whether its late at night or or during day, do they have comfort food - wings/fries/chicken fingers/mozz sticks or anything like that?

Lora,

You did a remarkable job with this LIVE thread. Thank you so much

for providing us with so much detail about your cruise and for being

particularly careful to make certain each of our questions were answered.

Looking forward to my repo cruise next month aboard the ship.

36 days to go!

It's the last day. :(

So sad that it has come to an end already. Time to pack. The internet cafe is filled with folks trying to print their boarding passes, including me, and nothing is printing. Someone is trying to find internet guy.

St. Thomas was beautifuk. We went to Magen's Bay, but I wish we had gone to the suggestion above. Haven't been to Magen's Bay in a while, but it was extremely crowded. Never seen it so crowded.

Not sure what our plans are for the evening. Probably walk around and take everything n for the last time. :( Have dinner on the balcony again.

For comfort food at the buffet, I have seen those things, but not at the same time. Now I am craving some.

When I get home tomorrow evening, I will try and start getting photos together and videos as well. Throughout the week I will scan in the patters and other things.

Now on to figuring out the printer issue and checking out the "formal" photos we took last nigh. See you all later.

It's the last day. :(

So sad that it has come to an end already. Time to pack. The internet cafe is filled with folks trying to print their boarding passes, including me, and nothing is printing. Someone is trying to find internet guy.

St. Thomas was beautifuk. We went to Magen's Bay, but I wish we had gone to the suggestion above. Haven't been to Magen's Bay in a while, but it was extremely crowded. Never seen it so crowded.

Not sure what our plans are for the evening. Probably walk around and take everything n for the last time. :( Have dinner on the balcony again.

For comfort food at the buffet, I have seen those things, but not at the same time. Now I am craving some.

When I get home tomorrow evening, I will try and start getting photos together and videos as well. Throughout the week I will scan in the patters and other things.

Now on to figuring out the printer issue and checking out the "formal" photos we took last nigh. See you all later.

Lora,

Thanks so much for the great "reporting". It was very sweet of you to take the time to post while on vacation.

Safe Travels Home

So I am home and it is cold. :( I miss cabin R411 and our steward Arnold!!

I will post a full review in the review section at some point this week, but we really had a wonderful week. Below is a link to my photos. I will post scans of the patters at some point. And a separate album for the menus with larger files for easier reading.

http://community.webshots.com/user/LoraJae

Thanks to everyone on cruise critic for all of the helpful advice for this trip!

So I am home and it is cold. :( I miss cabin R411 and our steward Arnold!!

I will post a full review in the review section at some point this week, but we really had a wonderful week. Below is a link to my photos. I will post scans of the patters at some point. And a separate album for the menus with larger files for easier reading.

http://community.webshots.com/user/LoraJae

Thanks to everyone on cruise critic for all of the helpful advice for this trip!

Lora,

Thank you so much for your great live thread and for the terrific pictures. I just got done admiring them (and drooling over the menu shots) :-). We leave in less than 2 weeks and your posts got me even more excited about the cruise (I didn't think that was even possible)! :)

Thanks a bunch,

Hi Lora,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! I've been following your trip the whole week and you are getting me soooo excited for my cruise on May 3rd!

I had a question for you about your Dominica excursion. I'm doing a similar excursion and wanted to know if people were okay wearing tennis shoes? I don't own any waterproof-type sandals and I heard they were highly recommended.

I'm looking forward to reading your formal review and I'll also be on the lookout for your 'Patters' scans!

I can't remember if anyone had sneakers. If they did, they took them off for the water part. DH had his on I believe, but he didn't go in the water. They were fine getting to the water parts. If you have a sporting goods store by you, you can get the waterproof shoes pretty cheap. They were $9 and worth it. I hate stepping on rocks and other funky stuff in water. :)

Is this correct? We are actually doing the 14 day (not a B2B but we booked the 14 sailing). We do realize that there are people doing 7 days only - we assumed that we would be getting a repeat of the 7 day menu the 2nd week - but I have read that others have had a 14 day menu with no repeats on other ships - so we are wondering.....But I guess you wouldn't know the answer to that.

I can help you with this one, CanuckCruizer, as I just did the 14-day itinerary myself on CB from 03/22-04/05 (i.e. the two weeks before LoraJ).

The dining room and buffet menus were identical both weeks (the one advantage being a chance to sample whatever we missed the first week). The production shows were identical too, in case you were interested (three in total, two of them repeated the following night).

On the 2nd formal night, don't forget to ask for the baked escargots if you like that stuff. They were not listed on the menu either time, and for some reason both servers only mentioned them in passing just before taking our orders (like they didn't really want us ordering them but were obliged to mention them, lol).

FYI, I think you'll find the vast majority of your fellow cruisers will be there for one week only. When we "disembarked" the first time, I overheard someone say there were only 185 of us "in transit" passengers on the ship. Your cruise card will only be valid for each one-week leg, too (just as well, since the cheap laminate they use starts peeling from the get-go).

You'll basically have to redo everything on your 2nd Sunday except get back in the outside check-in line and unpack! Princess really treats this like two 7-day legs.

Archived