sabbath services/friday nights?

tokidoki

:cool::cool::cool: I also was on the Jewel recently and we did have services, however I was reading the dawn daily from last May and didn't see it listed, but hopefully this fall it will be!

We'll be on a 10-night beginning on a Wednesday. Sunday will be a sea day. Does anyone know if they conduct Protestant services on board?

DT

Usually only when there is a Protestant clergyperson aboard who offers to lead services.

My husband is a retired vicar, and he offered to take some services on board Jade (via Miami) this Feb. At first, they were pleased because there was no other minister going. Just before we left, an e-mail came to say he could only take services for the people in his party(ME!). So,seeing as we were part of CC's roll call, and we were already discussing this, he asked the entertainment rep at the roll call and showed his material (about St Paul at Ephesus where we were sailing, and an Ash Wed.service). They agreed to let him do this, and someone from the cruise line sat in and agreed it was good, and were to tell Miami he could go ahead on another cruise. It took a lot of organising, but was worth it in the end. Apparently it is always up to the individual cruise director, and if they have doubts they will say no-after all, we could have been the sacred order of Yogi Bear!-jocap.

May I ask why they have Jewish services and not Protestant? There should be a chaplain in every ship.

The fact that time in a meeting room is alotted for Jewish services does not mean there is a rabbi on every cruise.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that in most cases the services are led by passengers who want to hold them, not by a rabbi.

the services are simply led by the passengers themselves, as we are orthodox, it is just a convenience the ships are providing as we do not have a shul to go to. It is customary to pray on friday nights and Saturdays, but as we are on our own, sometimes the friday night meeting might make it possible to arrange the getting together somewhere to pray, on Saturday.

My most recent cruise was on The Sun to SA, in primarily catholic countries. It was my 7th cruise and first one with no priest and no mass, it was also Ash Wednesday. We had 2 Sundays, one was Ushuaia and our ship was 2 hours late and we missed mass, the next Sunday was disembarkation day and we were on a NCL tour to the airport with luggage, so no mass.

My mom and I were surprised. On all of my previous cruises we went to mass on the ship, except our 2 day where we went to mass in NYC. My mom asked about it at reception and we were told if a priest sails that he can say mass, if no priest is on board (as a pax) no mass is held. It's just luck of the draw. We were surprised but can understand.

My mom says next time: BYOP!

I was on Celebrity Galaxy for a 7-night Mediterrean 2 years ago and I attended Catholic mass every day! I don't know if the priest on board was a passenger by coincidence or not but I liked the arrangement. I could understand it would be unlikely for the cruiseline to take care of all the different religious needs of the passengers on board but I would be very pleased if they could arrange that, at least on Sundays.

We always try to go to Friday nite services on any cruise we are on. Sometimes they have them, other times not, depending on the ship. As was said, there are no 'leaders' on board, just the people who want to partake in the services. On most of our cruises that had Friday nite services, the ship usually supplied a challah (bread for pray) and a bottle of wine, also for prayer. We have has as many as 20 people show up, and other times it was us and the wine. Whooppeee

My posts tend to be controversial at times, because I want people to think.

Observation #1: Sabbath services. I think the assumption was made that the Friday night services were for people of the Jewish faith and not for Protestants. You might not be aware that there are MORE protestants that celebrate the Sabbath on Friday night than Jewish people. For reference, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews#Significant_geographic_populations indicates less than 14 million Jews worldwide, while my denominational of choice Seventh-day Adventist surpassed 25 million this year. Being a protestant, I was in Wittenberg last month celebrating the protestant reformation with 95 other Sabbath keeping protestants, notice the 95.

Observation #2: My Sabbath experience. On the NCL Spirit, I attended a Sabbath service with one Reform Jewish woman and one New Age Jewish woman. We said the "Shema", they drank some wine, we ate challah bread and I had prayer. It was passenger led. I asked about keeping the Sabbath Holy, but they were headed off to the show in the theater that night, since it didn't have a cost, they said it was ok, interesting.

Observation #3: There is a Sabbath elevator available, you just have to ask at the front desk.

Question: Why do Protestants follow Catholicism's example of Sunday observance? If God doesn't change, God's wrote the 10 commandments himself, requiring Sabbath observance, Paul worship as a Christian on Sabbath, I can't find a bible reason to worship on Sunday, only a pagan one.

Jesus went to worship on Sabbath, never Sunday, interesting.

Thursday night is Passover, Shalom.

Observation #3: There is a Sabbath elevator available, you just have to ask at the front desk.

A Shabbat elevator is an elevator which works in a special mode, stopping automatically on every floor, to allow for the Jewish law for abstaining from operating electric switches on Shabbat. An elevator may be marked with a sign noting that it is specially configured for Shabbat observance

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbath_elevator

Archived