Western Caribbean: Ryndam out of Tampa in March 2010?

pseudochicken

I was wondering if anyone could share their experience on their Western Caribbean cruise out of Tampa? Not sure what ship does this route now, but I know the Ryndam (S-class I believe) is slated to do 7-day cruises out of Tampa the winter of 2010. There are other cruises to the Western Caribbean out of Ft. Lauderdale on Vista class ships, but the itinerary is what's really important.

So... back to my question.

Has anyone done this cruise and does anyone have any suggestions/ good or bad experiences to share? Any info would be great! :cool:

Currently, the plan is to take this cruise in February or March of 2010. Have sailed on Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean and will be sailing on Celebrity this summer. Have done each one only once.

Cheers!

We took the Veendam out of Tampa last year and went to Key West, Belize, Guatemala, Cozumel with 2 sea days. We loved it. Could have lived without KEy West because we live in Tampa and have been there lots, but the other stops were wonderful. We liked the smaller boat (and so did my kids) and really like the HAL experience. For shore excursions, we did Key West on our own, in Belize we did the snorkel trip to the reef which was awesome, Guatemala went to a resort and hung out at the beach and pool all day. We had the resort pretty much to ourselves! Not the prettiest beach but dH is not interested in flying in small aircraft or spending lots of time on tour buses. In Cozumel we did SNUBA which was one of the best things I have ever done in my life! Hope this helps.

Currently, the plan is to take this cruise in February or March of 2010

Just an FYI -- the only sailing available on the Ryndam in Feb 2010 is Feb 21/10, which is its first week out of drydock. The Feb 28 sailing has been chartered.

I took this on the Veendam with my younger grandgirl this February. I know I liked it; she said something about "next time", so I think she liked it, too.

We went to Key West, Belize, Guatamala, and Costa Maya. I enjoyed all the ports, although I found the heat and humidity brutal.

I loved the ship---been on it before. The Veendam is a sister ship of the Ryndam, so as of right now there's little difference. The cabins are a large size, service was excellent, and the food was good to very good. The ship is small enough to get around easily, but there's plenty of things to do while on board.

Thanks for all the responses so far!

I have a few questions:

Is there a wrap around promenade?

What are the views of the ocean like from the upper decks?

I hear there is an aft pool on the S-class, but the Veendam just got a refit to remove that. Will that be the case for the Ryndam next March?

Does anyone know what the ocean view rooms are like (no balcony). You see, the cruise was actually won at a raffle! We could get an upgrade, but then it wouldn't be free. :rolleyes: So, I was wondering if the ocean view rooms are decent enough.

Also, how is leaving Tampa? Is it a nice port to leave from? I know the ship will go under the Sunshine Skyway bridge, so that should be a cool experience.

Used to going on larger ships (Carnival Inspiration is the smallest ship we've been on), so this should be a nice comparison, since the Ryndam is only 55,000+ GRT.

Any info would be great!

All HAL ships have a complete wrap-around wide teak promenade deck. The many ships (other lines) that don't should be sunk and turned into reefs in my opinion.

Views of the ocean are great - there's nothing else to see but ocean unless you're in port, lol! You have a great view from any window or any outside deck - high or low.

Oceanview cabins are great - that's what I had last time, as I cruised solo (Veendam from Tampa April 2008). The big window is over the head of the bed. The cabin's the same size as verandah cabins but just lack the balcony. I was on Main Deck and loved it - quick flight up to the promenade deck outside. I would NOT want a cabin on the lower promenade deck, as you have to close your drapes at night and your view is the promenade deck and railing with the ocean beyond that.

Tampa's a very easy port to cruise from. We had heavy rain when we departed, so I saw the underside of the bridge while having dinner in the dining room. I was hoping to be out on deck to see it, but the weather was bad.

I can't believe they'd eliminate the aft pool - check your deck plan again. There will be one outside somewhere back there - I think it just moved up a deck.

I loved the Veendam, and we cruised the Ryndam many years ago - I think it was my 2nd HAL cruise. I'm looking forward to sailing on her again in April 2010...I'll book it while I'm on the Eurodam this November.

Sue/WDW1972

Eurodam 11/07/09

I can't believe they'd eliminate the aft pool - check your deck plan again. There will be one outside somewhere back there - I think it just moved up a deck.

Believe it. The S-class ships, and the Rotterdam, are losing the aft pool. The area of Navigation Deck where the pool is now is becoming cabin territory. There is not sufficient depth between the Lido Deck and Navigation Deck for a full pool. There will be a type of wading pool in the new retreat area on Lido Deck. But not an outside pool.

Also, how is leaving Tampa? Is it a nice port to leave from? I know the ship will go under the Sunshine Skyway bridge, so that should be a cool experience.

Any info would be great!

Port of Tampa is great and easy to get around (cruise twice out of Tampa). I hope you have some time to spend here. There is so much to do within walking distance of the port. There is also a trolley you can ride all day for $1.25 (it may have gone up a little). The Sea Aquarium is literally right there and it's very interactive so it's great for adult as well as kids. Channelside (what we call the port area) has shops, restaurants, bars, a movie theatre and even a bowling alley. You can ride the trolley into downtown or go the other direction and visit historic Ybor City (where the Hav-a-Tampa cigars used to be made) - shopping and restaurant - go to the Columbia, it has the wonderful Cuban cultural with dancers and authentic food. Don't forget, if you like zoos there is Lowry Park Zoo also interactive and if you like roller coasters don't miss Busch Gardens. Each are a mear 15 minutes away.

Sheesh, I sound like a talking brochure. Can you tell I love living here?

We will be sailing on the Ryndam from Tampa later this year. It will be our first cruise on HA and we haven't been on a ship this size since Ronnie was in office, so it should be an experience.

I do have a couple of questions.

Do we need a visa for any of the ports of call?

Are tuxes in order for formal nights? The guys have them so it certainly is not a problem. It seems lately fewer and fewer men are wearing them.

It appears that the B class cabins are basically the same but are there any that are hidden jewels? This is the case with Celebrity and I have those numbers memorized.

My BIL and SIL are on A deck. I am trying to convince them to move up a deck or two. For those of you who are HA frequent cruisers do you have any suggestions?

I am glad that we finally found an itinerary on HA that appeals to us. We are definitely of the age group that your line of choice is supposed to cater to.

Thanks

We will be sailing on the Ryndam from Tampa later this year. It will be our first cruise on HA and we haven't been on a ship this size since Ronnie was in office, so it should be an experience.

I do have a couple of questions.

Do we need a visa for any of the ports of call?

Not for the usual western Caribbean countries of Mexico, Belize, Guatamala, Grand Cayman.

Are tuxes in order for formal nights? The guys have them so it certainly is not a problem. It seems lately fewer and fewer men are wearing them.

A tux/dinner jacket is always appropriate on a formal night. And it looks sooooo good. :)

My BIL and SIL are on A deck. I am trying to convince them to move up a deck or two. For those of you who are HA frequent cruisers do you have any suggestions?

I'm always happy on Main Deck or Lower Promenade. Both decks are close enough to the waterline for a smooth ride. Both also have easy access to the outer deck.

We had an oceanview cabin #771 on the "A" deck. This location is midship. It was a great location. Close to where we get off when we were at ports. Plenty of storage in the closets. Bathroom is nice size with a shower/tub combo. We spent 30 days on the Ryndam, and didn't tire of the ship or the room. We didn't feel much movement in our cabin at all.

Believe it. The S-class ships, and the Rotterdam, are losing the aft pool. The area of Navigation Deck where the pool is now is becoming cabin territory. There is not sufficient depth between the Lido Deck and Navigation Deck for a full pool. There will be a type of wading pool in the new retreat area on Lido Deck. But not an outside pool.

Oh yeah - I do remember reading that. To me, that IS a pool...it's good enough for me and I think it's a nice change. I rarely went "into" the pool before - I mainly enjoy sitting in the shallow water reading or people watching. I realize not everyone feels that way, but I'm happy with the new aft area.

Sue/WDW1972

Eurodam 11/07/09

Archived