Flight leaving rome

Our ship is scheduled to dock in Civitivecchia(sp?) at 4 a.m. The most favorable flights home to the U.S. from FCO leave at 10 a.m.

Any chance I can make it, or will I have to go to Plan B and stay over until the next morning?

Would appreciate suggestions from you seasoned travelers who have done this before. Thanks!

We have heard that traffic from the port to FCO can get very heavy - and since you have to be there 2 hours early, your better bet would be an afternoon flight or the next day. You don't want to take the chance of missing your flight.

We had the same option and chose to stay overnight and leave the next morning. Just FYI.

Hard to do it. Although you arrive at 4:00 it doesn´t mean that passengers are cleared to disembark that early. You have to be checking at approximately two hours before at 8:30. Should you hire a private transfer, in which you could have a chance avoiding Rome, with pubblic transport it´s virtually imposible.

Cab to Civitavecchia train station 15 minutes, an hour train to Termini, and then a minimum 30 minutes transfer to Leonardo Express Train to Fiumicimo, which lasts about 45 minutes. So between Civitavecchia train station to Fiumicimo with the train, allow three hours, or even more.

I am not sure if there´re trains from Civitavecchia that early. Check at http://www.trenitalia.it

If you book a private transfer it is definitely doable, especially if you're arriving on a Saturday or Sunday when the traffic early in the morning is very light. We made it to FCO from Civitivecchia in 45 minutes last July on a Sunday morning, and we're booked on a 10:00 am flight out of FCO next June (we also dock at 4:00 am), using Romecabs for private transport.

We have a British Airways flight out of FCO at 2:55 pm - that gives us plenty of room to get off the ship and to the airport - BA was the only airline I could find with late afternoon flights back to the East Coast- we are going back to Newark, NJ. Good Luck and keep searching until you find the best time for your return. We would have loved to have stayed another night, but we couldn't afford a 3 day pre-cruise in Rome and then another night post-cruise- although you have more flight options the next morning.

nibird2 we also had a flight that leaves FCO at 10:10 am. Are you by any chance flying Alitalia from FCO to Boston?

We are flying out of Italy on Sep 18 after an 11 day cruise on the Celebrity Solstice.

Yanni

Flying lufthansa to Phila. via Frankford, Germany at the end of our 10 day Solstice cruise ending 6/15/09

Many will tell you not to try it but, it can be done. Book a private shuttle and have them pick you up at 5:30-6:00am. It is a 50 min ride to the airport. (for us on a Thur morning-NO traffic at that time) We left the pier at 6:45am and we were sitting at the gate at 9:00am. They started letting people off the ship around 5:45am.

Good Luck!

nibird2 we also had a flight that leaves FCO at 10:10 am. Are you by any chance flying Alitalia from FCO to Boston?

We are flying out of Italy on Sep 18 after an 11 day cruise on the Celebrity Solstice.

Yanni

Hi Yanni,

Off topic, but I noticed you are sailing on the Septmber 7th Solstice Sailing.

Come over and say hello on our Roll Call.

Hope you have registered for the Cruise Critics Party?

Mari

I would recommend calling your cruise line directly and asking their specific guidelines for the earliest flight they suggest. This will at least give you a good window of confidence. I'm sure they pad their times to be on the safe side, so you can factor that into your plan as well.

Like the previous posters, I to recommend pre-arranging a private driver for the transfer. There are lots of recommendations on this site if you want specific companies, but they all tend to charge about the same price for a basic trip from the ship to the airport. Good luck!

Just got home a week ago. Our original flights were changed to 10:45 and we switched to another airline for flight leaving at 11:20am. HAL said 10:45 was not doable. turns out we got off the ship in first group at 7:00am, claimed our luggage, took the ships bus , all of us on same airline. and bus left quickly. got to airport at about 8:30. Remember folks in Rome there are lines but went fast. First they checked passports, and asked security questions, next line for the machines that printed boarding passes (there was help in case you couldn't do it), then line to check your bags. Then you took a bus to the next terminal. There we went through regular security, then a nice long walk to your gate. Had maybe an hour to spare. Remember that was all under good conditions and no traffic on the roadways to the airport (On a Wednesday). I would not risk an early morning flight. If there are many ships in port you will not get through security as easy as we did, with only two ships in port.

San Diego Sue

Just got home a week ago. Our original flights were changed to 10:45 and we switched to another airline for flight leaving at 11:20am. HAL said 10:45 was not doable. turns out we got off the ship in first group at 7:00am, claimed our luggage, took the ships bus , all of us on same airline. and bus left quickly. got to airport at about 8:30. Remember folks in Rome there are lines but went fast. First they checked passports, and asked security questions, next line for the machines that printed boarding passes (there was help in case you couldn't do it), then line to check your bags. Then you took a bus to the next terminal. There we went through regular security, then a nice long walk to your gate. Had maybe an hour to spare. Remember that was all under good conditions and no traffic on the roadways to the airport (On a Wednesday). I would not risk an early morning flight. If there are many ships in port you will not get through security as easy as we did, with only two ships in port.

San Diego Sue

Thanks for the information, San Diego Sue. We are spending five days in Rome post-cruise, but have read a variety of comments on how much time you need for international flights departing from Rome these days. Two years ago, two hours was fine, but several posts stated that more time was needed for the two terminals. Glad to hear that two hours was plenty. Our flight is at 10:10 AM, and getting to the airport just after 8 from central Rome is just about as early as we want to get up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by yannisusa

Yanni

Hi Yanni,

Off topic, but I noticed you are sailing on the Septmber 7th Solstice Sailing.

Come over and say hello on our Roll Call.

Hope you have registered for the Cruise Critics Party?

Mari

mari10

View Public Profile

Find all posts by mari10

Add mari10 to Your Contacts

Mari I will register fot the CC party

Yanni

Many will tell you not to try it but, it can be done. Book a private shuttle and have them pick you up at 5:30-6:00am. It is a 50 min ride to the airport. (for us on a Thur morning-NO traffic at that time) We left the pier at 6:45am and we were sitting at the gate at 9:00am. They started letting people off the ship around 5:45am.

Good Luck!

Coolcruiser02, which cruise line did you sail that let people of the ship around 5:45 am?

Yanni

Coolcruiser02, which cruise line did you sail that let people of the ship around 5:45 am?

Yanni

We were on RCCL, Legend of the Seas.

FYI for our Oct Med cruise on the Carnival Dream their printed info said we could make our flights anytime after 9:00am.

We are on the Solstice Nov 20-30 with a Swiss Airlines flight out at 9:50am to LAX. I called Celebrity and they guaranteed a 10am flight, so I figured 10 minutes would be ok. I booked with italycab.com and Marco is excellent to deal with. Private car for 6:40am.

The other thing I plan on doing is keeping my bags to carry them off instead of having the porters take them off. I have read some others doing the same and it saves a lot of time.

Good luck

The other thing I plan on doing is keeping my bags to carry them off instead of having the porters take them off. I have read some others doing the same and it saves a lot of time.

Good luck

We did this also!! Even when you get off the ship early you still have to locate your luggage. This just eliminates the chances of lost or misplaced luggage. :)

We are on the Solstice Nov 20-30 with a Swiss Airlines flight out at 9:50am to LAX. I called Celebrity and they guaranteed a 10am flight, so I figured 10 minutes would be ok. I booked with italycab.com and Marco is excellent to deal with. Private car for 6:40am.

Good luck

Yes definitely carry off your bags if your cruise line allows it (I think most lines have this option now). It saves time and as the previous poster said you don't have to worry about lost/misplaced bags.

Archived