Fenway

cruiselife8

Hello to my fellow Red Sox fans!!

I will be taking a cruise that stops in Boston on July 4th, and DH and I wanted to go to a Red Sox game. I was thinking of taking a taxi to Fenway (and for the return to the port) and get the SRO tickets in advance so we can at least get in the park. Additionally, we'd like to hang around the immediate area of the park.

What I wanted to know is, would there be an awful lot of traffic on the 4th....I know it's a holiday but was wondering if it'd be worse than usual? We dock at about 12 noon, and the ship leaves at about midnight. I'm thinking that we'd only be around for a few hours (maybe 2-6pm)...but don't want to end up missing our ship. Any advice is appreciated.

Regards,

Saundra

I will be taking a cruise that stops in Boston on July 4th, and DH and I wanted to go to a Red Sox game. I was thinking of taking a taxi to Fenway (and for the return to the port) and get the SRO tickets in advance so we can at least get in the park. Additionally, we'd like to hang around the immediate area of the park.

What I wanted to know is, would there be an awful lot of traffic on the 4th....I know it's a holiday but was wondering if it'd be worse than usual? We dock at about 12 noon, and the ship leaves at about midnight. I'm thinking that we'd only be around for a few hours (maybe 2-6pm)...but don't want to end up missing our ship. Any advice is appreciated.

Regards,

Saundra

not from beantown but YES the 4th will be VERY busy! boston has LOTS of stuff going on for the 4th of july so yes, i would think traffic will be as bad as it is normally!

(sheesh, red sox fans!:p KIDDING....not like the phils are doing that well, but it's only been 3 games!)

i am sure a boston local will come by, but expect lots of peeps around !

not from beantown but YES the 4th will be VERY busy! boston has LOTS of stuff going on for the 4th of july so yes, i would think traffic will be as bad as it is normally!

(sheesh, red sox fans!:p KIDDING....not like the phils are doing that well, but it's only been 3 games!)

i am sure a boston local will come by, but expect lots of peeps around !

Hi there--yes I know, Red Sox fans can be intense at times LOL :) But I'd be remiss if I didn't say congrats on the Phillies winning the WS. I'm just looking forward to the Red Sox going for it in 2009, a new year!

Thank you for sharing your insight, I do look forward to more insight from those in Boston. Take care, megr1125! :D

you're welcome...my buddy carol (a/k/a 138east lives up that-a-way now....so hopefully she will pop in!)

actually when nomar was a red sox...(actually when he was in the minors) we used to see him when we went to trenton thunder gaems...they used to be a farm club for the sox..(now i think they are part of the YUCK! yankees...EEEEEEEEEwwwwwwwwwww! i REALLY hate the yankees...the sox are OK! especially when playing the stinkin yankees!)

I havent lived in Boston for a few years, but most of this info should be good...

The biggest event going on in Boston will be the Boston Pops concert on the Esplanade. (A park along the Charles River.) Hundreds of thousands of people will be there. It's spectacacular; The finale is the 1812 Ovature complete with real Church bells and howitzers!

The Red Sox game is at 1pm. Getting there by cab at 1 oclock will be slow. I would make my way to the "T"(subway) The closest station to the pier is South Station. Either take the Red Line there to Park ST, or better yet have a cab take you to the Park street T station.

From Park Street, take a Green Line train (B, C, or D only ) to Kenmore Square. (The D line trains have a stop called "Fenway", but that bypasses Kenmore Square, which is part of the experiance in getting to Fenway.)

Walk down Brookline Ave. as you pass Lansdowne, look left to see the Green Monster.

Have fun!

Aloha,

John

I would stay away from taxis, just take the 'T', all the lines intersect at some point. It will be a lot faster and cheaper. I've done it so many times, it's really very easy. As the previous poster said, the green line takes you to Fenway and on gameday they add extra trains so there isn't a wait. There is usually a lot going on in Quincy Market area all day and night. They usually have a chowder fest also. You pay a fee, can't remember what it is, to get in and get samplings of about 12 different chowders from different restaurants. Then you vote on the best. If you don't get to the Esplanade early forget about getting ground space. People start arriving at the crack of dawn to get a spot and stay all day. The main road is closed to public vehicles. Not sure but there is probably something on the internet about all the activities that week. Usually it's in the Boston Globe newspaper the week before.

I am from Boston and speaking for myself, would consider the game if it weren't July 4th. Count on there being plenty of traffic. If you do end up going - good luck.

Regards,

Saundra

Regards,

Saundra

I agree with the others, avoid the cab and take the T. Traffic should be crazy since Storrow Drive along the Charles is closed for the day and many people use that to get to Fenway.

The Pops concert on the esplande is wonderful with fireworks afterwards. The fireworks are usually around 10:30. How neat it will be to watch them from the ship!

A decent ticket reseller is Ace tickets. We have used them a few times. You will pay a premium, but if you are looking for an actual seat, that would be who I would use.

Keep this link, it will have information soon. http://www.july4th.org/

Regards,

Saundra

I agree with the others. Having a car is wonderful. But I have to pay for it at work and where I live. Boston is a small town and I have either taken public transportation or walked it for over 30 years. Our public transportation goes everywhere. It is convenient and inexpensive. Good luck on your cruise and trip to Fenway Park.

The Sox game (vs Seattle) on the afternoon of 7/4 right now is sold out, BUT keep checking the Sox website for availability. They release seats and extra SRO tix sporadically in the days prior to a game. Or check some of the resellers for tickets.

Okay, now you got your tickets, but you need to get from Black-something terminal in South Boston to Fenway in less than an hour, game starts at 1 PM. It's a loo--ong walk to South Station to catch the T, so you need to take a cab to get there. I'd recommend once you do get a cab, have him take you all-the-way to Fenway Park. Normally it would be maybe a 10-minute ride with no traffic. However traffic will be heavy around the ball park at that hour, but what the heck it's a Sox game at Fenway. Just make sure he stays away from Storrow Drive (road along the Charles) which will probably be closed by noontime for the evening concert. Have the cab cut across Kneeland St. and up Comm Ave will probably work. Once you see other people with Sox gear on walking to the game and you start getting into heavy traffic, abandon the cab and follow the crowds. The area around Fenway is a mass of humanity (well 37K people) prior to a game. A bit cheesy (after all these years) but do stay until at least the bottom of the 8th inning (a surprise).

After the game, (a Sox win) say 4 PM, you can take the T (entrance on Beacon Street in Kenmore Sq) back to South Station and then a cab back to the ship. Or better yet, walk down Beacon to Mass (turn right) and then a left to either Boylston Ave or Newbury St. back to the downtown area, catch a bit to eat, and then grab a cab back to the ship.

See you at Fenway on the 4th.

SAS

Should you get tickets and not want to risk the unusually congested traffic in a cab, here are some "T" directions.

At the Black Falcon pier, find the Silver Line bus and take it to South Station, which is the end of the line. Walk backwards from the bus and find the stairs (or elevator) to the Red Line Alewife direction (not Braintree). Go up one level and take the Red Line two stops to Park Street.

At Park Street you have two choices. Go up the stairs one level (not Lechmere direction) and take any B,C,D trolley to Kenmore Square. This station will be really busy and the trolleys will be packed going to Kenmore. However, if you go up the stairs to Lechmere and go back one stop to Government Center, if you are patient you will have the chance to get a seat on a B or D trolley which starts at that station.

Archived