walking shoes

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.zappos.com/product/7459838/color/32 Merrell "Siena"

http://www.zappos.com/product/7459872/color/3 Merrell "Salerno"

http://www.zappos.com/product/7459867/color/864 Merrell "San Remo"

At least these ones look a little more feminine. :o

I have always been afraid of Merrell's because they are all medium width. Has anyone tried them that has wide feet?

I have wide feet and find that most of the Merrells work for me. They're a bit wider than my Eccos. BTW, I have the Siena in two colors. Wear the brown ones daily to take my hooligans to the dog park. I also have the non-leather clogs (Primo?) and have discovered I can change the insoles and they are WASHABLE in my washer. They haven't faded at all. I just bought the maryjane version with the open heel. If all goes well, I'm wearing them in Europe this fall. Thought they were a little cuter than the clogs and should be easy on/off at the airports. I'm still taking the homely clogs as my backup pair though. I discovered that Merrells come in all sorts of materials other than leather to satisfy folks who won't wear anything made from animal products.

I have wide feet and find that most of the Merrells work for me. They're a bit wider than my Eccos. BTW, I have the Siena in two colors. Wear the brown ones daily to take my hooligans to the dog park. I also have the non-leather clogs (Primo?) and have discovered I can change the insoles and they are WASHABLE in my washer. They haven't faded at all. I just bought the maryjane version with the open heel. If all goes well, I'm wearing them in Europe this fall. Thought they were a little cuter than the clogs and should be easy on/off at the airports. I'm still taking the homely clogs as my backup pair though. I discovered that Merrells come in all sorts of materials other than leather to satisfy folks who won't wear anything made from animal products.

I guess that I will have to go into a store and try them. I think that I will try Marshall's and TJ Maxx first to see if they have any Merrrells. If all us fails, I will go over to Gander Mountain and try them on and see how they fit. Then see what I can find on line.

Another Clark's variant to try: Privos! (they have both men's and women's versions). I have decided that mine are going to be my main walking shoe for my fall Med cruise....decent support but not hot on your feet (I wear mine only in summer as I wear w/o socks and they are perfectly comfortable. I do have wide feet and these fit me fine.

That's really good to know - thanks. I have wide feet too - not terribly wide, but about a C-D - so manbe they'd fit.

I like the zcoils, but if you wear the light color, they're basically a tennis shoe and you're going to be standing out again as a tourist. That's what I'm trying to avoid. :o

Another Clark's variant to try: Privos! (they have both men's and women's versions). I have decided that mine are going to be my main walking shoe for my fall Med cruise....decent support but not hot on your feet (I wear mine only in summer as I wear w/o socks and they are perfectly comfortable. I do have wide feet and these fit me fine.

Just a word of advice: be sure that you try your Privos out over a long day of walking when you are on your feet a lot. While I find Privos (and Clarks) comfortable for short periods (e.g., running errands or shopping at the mall), I do NOT find them comfortable for all day walking. They seem to lack the same level of support as Eccos or Merrills, for example. For me anyway....

I bought those Yucatans (http://www.zappos.com/product/7211311/color/129437), and they are very comfortable on my feet. They do have good arch support too. I've tried them with and without lightweight socks (that I'll wear if we run into some cool weather).

:) Donna

For what it's worth, I went out and bought the Yucatans and am happy to say they are amazing. I've been looking for comfortable walking sandals for almost 6 months now. I've tried Mephisto, Clarks, Privo, Tevas and Merrell. These Ecco Yucatans are perfect. I also bought a pair of Merrell Siena as a switch-off, they are very light weight and almost as comfortable as the Yucatans. Thank you for posting about them.

Now I won't have to wear my turista white running shoes in European cities. :)

Jacquie

For what it's worth, I went out and bought the Yucatans and am happy to say they are amazing. I've been looking for comfortable walking sandals for almost 6 months now. I've tried Mephisto, Clarks, Privo, Tevas and Merrell. These Ecco Yucatans are perfect. I also bought a pair of Merrell Siena as a switch-off, they are very light weight and almost as comfortable as the Yucatans. Thank you for posting about them.

Jacquie

I had a similar experience and add Keens to the list of brands you referenced, so I'm glad the Ecco Yucatans worked for you too.

For anyone still shoe shopping, http://www.shoebuy.com has 20% off (enter MOM at checkout) with an extra 10% for members of the site (free to sign up). That gets the Yucatans down under $100. Free shipping to you and bag to shoebuy.com if the shoes don't work out, so there's not a lot to lose.

Happy shoe shopping,

Donna

For anyone interested, I would like to recommend another shoe that I have found to be the most comfortable I have ever used. The brand is called NAOT, and I think they are made in Israel. I've had a pair for more than 2 yrs now and use them on all trips. I also just purchased a new pair today (description Matai's) that I'm adding to my collection. They are pricey shoes but so worth every penny.

I have an Ecco outlet store near me so I think I'll check those out...will it still be "sandal-weather" in the Med last 2 weeks of September?
I've been in the Med that time of the year and consider it to be sandal weather. But you may want to take some socks.

Have a great trip,

Donna

I've been reading all the replies with a great deal of interest. The best sandals I've found were ones that I bought in Florida at a SAS outlet. At the time, I didn't realize that I could get them at home but after some searching, I found them at one of our better shoe stores locally. For any Canadians reading this, they're available at Walking on a Cloud stores. They were not inexpensive but needed absolutely no breaking in. They were comfortable right from the start. Here's their website.

http://www.sasshoes.com/

2P.P1

When I was in the market for walking shoes for my Med. cruise last year I ended up with a pair of Danskos from The Walking Store and they were/are fabulous! I wanted strappy walking sandals (versus an athletic or clog-type shoe) that I could also wear with casual dresses and skirts. That way I wouldn’t need to pack another pair of shoes! The Danskos cost me way more than what I wanted to spend ($100+) but they were SO worth it! We did Rome and Florence on our own – about 6+ hours of non-stop walking – and my feet never felt better. No blisters and aching feet! :D I wore them for the majority of our excursions and I continue to wear them at home. They’re still in great condition.

Last week I saw Danskos at Nordstrom Rack for half of what I paid. :eek: Now I know where to go for my next pair!

I had a similar experience and add Keens to the list of brands you referenced, so I'm glad the Ecco Yucatans worked for you too.

For anyone still shoe shopping, www.shoebuy.com has 20% off (enter MOM at checkout) with an extra 10% for members of the site (free to sign up). That gets the Yucatans down under $100. Free shipping to you and bag to shoebuy.com if the shoes don't work out, so there's not a lot to lose.

Happy shoe shopping,

Donna

Thanks so much. I just ordered and got a pair for $96 with the 20% and 10% off!!! Wanted to do it today before the 20% expired.

For anyone interested this is a ONE DAY SALE for Mother's Day.

http://www.birkenstockusa.com/products/women/sandals/malibu/black-e-v-a/33612

these are great. note they are not leather, and are very casual. I got them on sale at famous footwear. I have feet that hurt and blister in an instant-I can't walk more than a few blocks in sandals before I have a blister, and I walked for miles day after day in these and had no issues. If I was wearing a skirt I wore tham with no socks of course, but on days I wore slacks, I added black or colored socks/stocking to offer even more protection. They have had so much exposure to salt water-I have trecked over lava and into the ocean in them, they have faded some. I think on my next trip in March it will be too cool to wear these, so I am looking at options myself

Thanks so much. I just ordered and got a pair for $96 with the 20% and 10% off!!! Wanted to do it today before the 20% expired.

For anyone interested this is a ONE DAY SALE for Mother's Day.

I'm glad it worked for you. I was somewhat amused to see that note about "one day" every day that I checked that site for the last two weeks. :) But hey, we win, so that works for me. If I see another coupon code after today, I'll post it.

Donna

Jacquie

Let me add my strong vote for the Yucatans! I was worried before our Med Cruise 2 years ago that I wouldn't be able to find comfortable shoes. I bought the Yucatans and loved them so much that I keep a couple of extra pairs stored in my closet in case they are discontinued. My DH also wears the men's version.

We wear them every day instead of sneakers! They are so comfortable that we wear them on our daily 3 mile walks at our local park.

I suffered terribly with foot pain and now I am truly pain-free! Shoes make all the difference!

I just picked up two pairs of walking shoes for my western med cruise next month - one a little more casual, and the other sandals that will look okay with sundresses/skirts.

Casual shoes are Merrells, which a lot of others have mentioned as good walking shoes (in taupe)

http://www.merrell.com/us/#store/W/W-F/17200W-35430/

For those in Canada, I got mine at the Shoe Company for about $90. While miles away from the $20 Marshalls deals that you can get in the US, at least Shoe Company has a "buy one, get one 40% off" deal right now, so I also got a completely unnecessary pair of cute strappy heals for under $40. :D

I got my sandals from Walking on a Cloud, and they were Rieker Antistress, which is a brand that I don't think I've seen mentioned on here yet. I think that mine are the same style as these, but in bronze:

http://www.shoebuy.com/rieker-antistress-regina-83/231783/496701

Definitely not the cheapest sandals at $100, but as I get older I realize that it's better to spend $100 on shoes that I can walk in for as long and as far as I want, as opposed to spending $40 on shoes where I can only walk about 6 blocks withouth my feet/ankles starting to ache.

Thanks so much for all the helpful information and advice. I just went on ShoeBuy.com (which still has the 20% off Mother's Day sale plus the 10% off if you register - a free option) and ordered one pair of Ecco's and three pairs of Merrills (I'm hoping I don't love all four and can return one or two). :)

I have plantar fasciatis and somewhat higher arches and always seem to have trouble with my feet hurting when I walk a lot so I have high hopes that at least some of these shoes will help me avoid that issue this summer with my first Med cruise. 8 ports in 10 days = lots of walking I'm sure! :)

Susan

p.s. By the way - if you have the Continental MC to earn frequent flyer miles you can earn 10 points for every dollar on ShoeBuy right now by first going to the Continental Onepass site (www.continental.com/shoponepass), then entering your freq flyer number after selecting the ShoeBuy website link. It will take you to the shoe site and then just use your credit card to pay for the order (or at least that's what the website said - we'll see when I get my bill later if it worked).

Pam-

They are called Charm- and I got the bone/silver pair... I think they are pretty cool.. I felt dorky at first, but get compliments on them. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I wont feel bad if you say eww!

Well, only three weeks until I leave for Europe, so I decided to break in my Ecco Charme's today, recommended by WindDown way back when on this thread for people like me who wear orthotics and, therefore, cannot wear sandals for walking days.

Well, I am a very happy camper; comfortable and ready to take me through Athens, the Greek islands and Italy.

Even though the 20% off shoebuy.com is no longer available, there are still some good coupons for that site that can be used by board members who are still shopping for shoes. You can always find one by Google-ing (http://www.google.com/search?q=shoebuy.com+coupon&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8).

Donna

Well, only three weeks until I leave for Europe, so I decided to break in my Ecco Charme's today, recommended by WindDown way back when on this thread for people like me who wear orthotics and, therefore, cannot wear sandals for walking days.

Well, I am a very happy camper; comfortable and ready to take me through Athens, the Greek islands and Italy.

I bought these shoes for my upcoming cruise also, same color:). I have been breaking them in and they are very comfortable. I especially like the arch support.

Archived