Princess has gone from first to worst in our eyes

MoneyGuy

We experienced CIGAR SMOKING on our Crown balcony last month. Very unpleasant and definitely put a damper on our enjoyment of the balcony. Anyone in agreement that Princess should ban smoking in all state rooms and balconies like other ships. I believe Celebrity has a no smoking policy.

If someone was on your balcony smoking a cigar, couldn't you ask them to leave? Oh, you meant on another balcony? I think it's late and I'm getting punchy. Why didn't you just politely ask them to refrain as it was bothering you? I think if Princess were going to ban smoking in cabins, they would have already done so after the Star fire. So that ship has, metaphorically and punnily speaking, sailed.

We experienced CIGAR SMOKING on our Crown balcony last month. Very unpleasant and definitely put a damper on our enjoyment of the balcony. Anyone in agreement that Princess should ban smoking in all state rooms and balconies like other ships. I believe Celebrity has a no smoking policy.

I agree. Smoking of any kind is the one thing that ruins the enjoyment of balcony cabins for too many people. It would be nice if Princess had a non-smoking side of the ship at the very least. I'm going to give Celebrity a shot next year.

I for one think it's terrible the way you have been treated!

Thank you. I'm taking a beating on here. I pay hundreds of dollars more for a balcony and then can't use it for its full intent. Then they ignore me.

We've been on seven cruises and our eighth is in a few days. I'm excited.

Up until our cruise last year, Princess was our favourite line. We've had good experiences with them. Half of out cruises have been with Princess. Financially, we're set and intgend to cruise a lot going forward.

Last year we took out two adult children on a cruise through the Caribbean. It was to be a once-in-a-lifetime adventure so we booked two balcony rooms next to each other. For the most past it was a great cruise, except for one big (to us) problem. The kids' room was fine. Our room, however, was not. Much of the time when we opened our balcony door the air movement caused a loud buzzing in the wall right beside out bathroom. It sounded like bees in our wall. Despite several attempts to get the maintenance staff to fix it, they were unsuccessful.

We booked a balcony room so that we could sit outside and enjoy the warm Caribbean air and we wanted to keep the door open mostly all the time. We wanted to have the door open while we were sleeping. We had to keep the door closed most of the time, which seriously detracted from our enjoyment of this cruise and took away much of the benefit of havng a balcony room.

I can't over-emphasize how much losing much of the benefit of our balcony detracted from our enjoyment of our cruise. We should have just booked an inside cabin and saved the cost of the balcony because we hardly used it.

I don't complain a lot. I'm an accepting kind of guy. However, when we left the ship for the last time, I put a letter into the comments box (with my contact info), thinking I'd hear back from Princess. After weeks of nothing, I sent an email to their head office. Nothing. I sent a second email, again nothing.

I can accept that things go wrong. Mechanical problems occur. I accept that.

HOwever, I feel there is no excuse for a company not caring. Princess is the company we've had more cruises with than any other line. We've enjoyed crusing with them and had hoped to do many more with them. Unfortunately, my wife have discussed this again recently and have decided that because of Princess's apparent disinterest in us, we've decided to cruise on other lines. There are lots of choice out there and we'll be looking at other lines from now on. OUr next cruise is booked with Norwegian. We intend to be frequent cruisers. We did two last year, one with Princess and another with another line.

I see a thread in this section from a first-time Princess customer. I may be a last-time Princess customer. I'm not saying for sure because I may get over this. With time.

If someone from Princess wants to contact me, my email address is wrothe at shaw.ca.

Have fun on NCL - while you are trying to make reservations for dinner and figure out that Free style dining isn't what they say it is.....we will be on the Crown enjoying a nice caribe balcony. :D

Not much sympathy so far, I see. If Princess had at least apologized, I'd be fine. They didn't even do that. I was disappointed that three attempts to let them know of the problem passed without any result. That's what annoyed me. I'm in the service business. I think they should show that they care about this.

So, in your opinion Princess should apologize to you because you were doing something that is against their recommendation. And you wonder why the sympathy doesn't seem to be pouring your way? The people in customer service are too busy laughing at you to offer the "proper apology".

Thank you. I'm taking a beating on here. I pay hundreds of dollars more for a balcony and then can't use it for its full intent. Then they ignore me.

Was this your first balcony stateroom?

Trying to figure out why you described this problem as something buzzing in the wall? And the 'once in a lifetime comment' also has me thinking you splurged for a balcony stateroom thinking you could just leave the door open and enjoy the great outdoors/ocean, 24/7 while onboard. Just a question?

And one more question please. What did maintenance say to you the three times they came to investigate the problem? I am going to guess they told you to keep the balcony door closed, but from the description of the noise, if it was told to them the same way, I am sure they were looking at the wall for a problem.

FYI-A balcony is a balcony to go outside and enjoy, not a lanai as you would find in Hawaii where you slide open a glass wall and bring the outdoors inside.

While I wouldn't agree with leaving the door open with the AC running (and perhaps that's a whole other thread), I understand why Moneyguy is upset. I get the impression that he simply wanted some response to his numerous correspondances to Princess. No matter how "trivial" or not his issue may be, it was important to him. He is still a paying customer who at least deserved the courtesy of a response from Princess. Isn't that why they have a department called "Customer Service".

Again... was sliding the door open and closed too difficult? I know that I'd want to keep the cabin cool by keeping the door closed. If you'd let your cabin warm up to the ambient temperature/humidity in the Caribbean, it'd take the A/C *forever* to get it back down to a comfortable temp that'd be comfortable to sleep in. Of course, if that was your intent, well, have at it. :rolleyes: And really, you should have just switched cabins with the kids and moved on...

While I wouldn't agree with leaving the door open with the AC running (and perhaps that's a whole other thread), I understand why Moneyguy is upset. I get the impression that he simply wanted some response to his numerous correspondances to Princess. No matter how "trivial" or not his issue may be, it was important to him. He is still a paying customer who at least deserved the courtesy of a response from Princess. Isn't that why they have a department called "Customer Service".
While I understand what you're saying, if there's a notice to please not leave the balcony door open, how much clearer can that be? What kind of response would you expect? Perhaps, "We're sorry you didn't like the notice in the cabin and while straining the A/C system will make all of the passengers in cabins near yours uncomfortable, please leave it open and we'll do everything in our power to make it less noisy for you and not tell the other passengers who is making them uncomfortable"? Have you seen the threads about the A/C not working properly? People are upset when theirs doesn't work so who should Princess make happy? The one who didn't like the notice or those with poor A/C?

I'll know for sure whether there's a notice and exactly where it is in a week.

The "full intent" of the balcony is for you to have a place to sit outside and enjoy the view and listen to the waves, etc. The full intent of having a balcony door is so that it can be CLOSED after going out onto the balcony. I too pay hundreds of dollars more for the balcony and I use it for its full intent. The door is intended to be closed. That's why they put notices on the door and in the patters telling you to keep it closed. Based on your obvious disregard of these notices they should ignore you and you should take a beating on here. No sympathy from me either.

Please explain what that "full intent" is. Is it not painfully obvious to you that the balcony door is not supposed to be left open? Or are you one of those people that simply cannot admit that they're wrong?

The "full intent" of a balcony is to be able to be outside and enjoy the fresh air while being outside. It has nothing to do with being able to leave your balcony door open against the advice and request of the ship. That might have been your intent because you wanted to ignore the ship's request and other passengers' comfort but that's not the stated use of a balcony.

goodness gracious, when a ship moves forward the air gets sucked inward through the balcony and will exit through the cracks on your stateroom door(physics high pressure to low pressure), this would be normal just like when the wind is blowing hard at my house in Colorado and I close the windows because the Chinook winds are too much, make sure the front door(east) is closed and maybe a towel as well..... I can choose to sacrifice air for noise, can't have both, my decision. I do not know what response you would expect from Princess re:normal movement, physics, weather, air-flow/dynamics issues......

Dear Valued Customer,

We acknowledge receipt of you corespondent dated last year. We understand you encountered some problems resulting in your vacation not being as pleasurable as you came to expect. Being the environmentally conscientious company, our need to safe energy, and keep fares low, we require the balcony door be kept shut. This will also prevent you from accidentally locking yourself out of the cabin. The air from the balcony will forcefully close the cabin door when opened, and slam you in the butt/azz on your way out. This then becomes a safety issue if you have junk in the trunk. We look forward to seeing you on-board again. For your next sailing, please contact customer service for our ever so valuable, one of a kind, coupon book.

Sincerely,

Someone with a vested interest for great return on investment on Carnival stock and know ignorance not silence is bliss:D.

Regardless of the issue, I don't think that comment cards or emails are the best way to formalize a complaint. When I have had issues with a company, I write a letter and mail it to the CEO. I don't necessarily expect them to read it or deal with it personally, as they have much more important things to do, but it has a good chance of getting routed through their office to someone who is in a position of offering a reparation.

Not much sympathy so far, I see. If Princess had at least apologized, I'd be fine. They didn't even do that. I was disappointed that three attempts to let them know of the problem passed without any result. That's what annoyed me. I'm in the service business. I think they should show that they care about this.

------------------------------------------------------

I'm confused, I guess, as to what you are angry with Princess about? You didn't make that totally clear in your first letter, so that is why people here are asking you if it was about noise, or the door to your balcony, or what? You say you didn't use your balcony much during the cruise, and never explained why. So could you explain what exactly is your main gripe, please?:confused:

Thank you!!! I should have let the poster rant but after seeing my and my children's lives turned upside down by the "Beast" which is cancer, but could have been any other lifestorm, the near sightedness of his view of the world spoke to me and I had to respond. I hope you are cured of your prostate cancer. My husband who ran 4 miles a day and ate healthily his entire life was stage 4 at diagnosis. We had four months to say goodbye and for me to take care of him..really my last gift to the most wonderful, humble human being I have ever met....who never complained despite all of the horrible treatments he endured (do you see why complainers like this poster stir my emotions)...I am so glad we traveled and created memories....I could recount horror stories of airlines, hotels, etc. etc...in the US and third world countries....but I would be missing the point that first of all we were blessed to be able to travel and secondly that we had each other ......

Finally, next month, I am taking my 87 year old mother on her first cruise...She got her first passport yesterday.....I surely will not let squeaky balcony doors diminish our pleasure....I really feel so sad for the gentleman who initiated this post...he surely is missing out on what life is all about....

I'm so sorry you had to go through this ordeal. My MIL was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer last October and she's now going through chemo treatments that are just meant to slow down the progression (my husband says the doctor indicated she had months).

I am so hoping you and your mother have a fantastic cruise. You deserve it and I know from your posts that you will cherish the time onboard with your mother.

Dear Valued Customer,

We acknowledge receipt of you corespondent dated last year. We understand you encountered some problems resulting in your vacation not being as pleasurable as you came to expect. Being the environmentally conscientious company, our need to safe energy, and keep fares low, we require the balcony door be kept shut. This will also prevent you from accidentally locking yourself out of the cabin. The air from the balcony will forcefully close the cabin door when opened, and slam you in the butt/azz on your way out. This then becomes a safety issue if you have junk in the trunk. We look forward to seeing you on-board again. For your next sailing, please contact customer service for our ever so valuable, one of a kind, coupon book.

Sincerely,

Someone with a vested interest for great return on investment on Carnival stock and know ignorance not silence is bliss:D.

lol-022.gif

Gee, we live in an area that gets pretty hot in the summer (though not as bad as Hemet), and we try to be careful with our A/C. Often we will not run our A/C and open windows (and use fans), especially at night, instead to save on power. Our next day neighbor runs his A/C throughout the night. We would hate to have their electricity bill.

We've been on seven cruises and our eighth is in a few days. I'm excited.

Up until our cruise last year, Princess was our favourite line. We've had good experiences with them. Half of out cruises have been with Princess. Financially, we're set and intgend to cruise a lot going forward.

Last year we took out two adult children on a cruise through the Caribbean. It was to be a once-in-a-lifetime adventure so we booked two balcony rooms next to each other..

Why is that every time there is a negative post like this the poster always says it was booked as a once in a lifetime thing.:confused:

Bill

Archived