Swimming in the pool on Canadian cruise in June?

kaneeta

This will be my first cruise to Canada. Will people actually sit by the pool and swim during the June cruises? I read there is a roof but it will probably be kind of chilly at that time.

13 out of 14 (Prinsendam excepted) dam ships have what's called a Magro-roof. It can be opened or closed over the mid-ship's pool. Bring your polka dot bikini;), if it's too cold in the Maritimes, they'll keep the light on for ya...............I mean keep the roof closed for ya!

We sailed on the Maasdam from Montreal to Boston the first week of June two years ago. When the temperatures were cool they simply closed the roof and the pool area was fine. They also had several hot tubs in the pool area which were nice after a long day of walking.

Kaneeta - when are you sailing?

We are doing Boston to Montreal leaving June 27.

I agree with the previous posters. We have sailed Alaska and sometimes it was nice enough to have the roof open, but when not they just shut it and it was a lovely area to relax in.

We do this cruise every summer and are going again back-to-back in June. Some years, in June, we've had days we could sit in swimsuits at aft pool (the outdoor one). Other years, in August, we never went to the pool. It is very variable and impossible to predict. I strongly suggest if you are interested in a little pool time, bring along a swimsuit and you will definitely be able to use Lido Pool (the one under the dome) and maybe aft pool. But also bring along a light jacket or hoodie/sweater. :)

Hope you love that cruise and Maasdam as much as we do.

i am not big on using the pool. ( I have been failing swimming 101 since I was 9! I am now 69 1/2.) That being said the midship pool on the Lido Deck is used on most days. I have seen many people around the pool in swim suit either reading, catching sun through the dome or swimming. Now the Sea View pool will not be used as much unless the sun is out and the air is somewhat warm. I have been to Alaska more than a few times over the past decade or so.

A few years ago on the 35-day Boston to Rotterdam and back to Boston cruise some of us swam across the Arctic Circle north of Iceland - in the Maasdam aft pool. An officer had a GPS to tell us when we were crossing the circle.

We even got a certificate. With the certificate and a few thousand dollars we can get a "free" cruiser!

Last year DH (and a number of others) went swimming in the aft pool in Antarctica. If they can do that outdoors, I don't think it will be too bad indoors in Canada. ;)

Next year we'll be well north of the Arctic circle, I'm sure he'll be in the pool again.

Next year we'll be well north of the Arctic circle, I'm sure he'll be in the pool again.

Ah, but it works differently on the Prinsendam. :D The Lido pool (which is the one used when I did that cruise) is shaped awkwardly for the Arctic Swim. Lots colder for the fun-seekers.

Last year DH (and a number of others) went swimming in the aft pool in Antarctica. If they can do that outdoors, I don't think it will be too bad indoors in Canada. ;)

Mary Ellen are you doing the Top of the World cruise next year?

That is our plan.

Do you know when it will be offered in 2010? I only have info for 2009 and couldn't find it online. I am all over the map trying to plan 2010. Don't want to make any committments till I see what is out there. So many ideas. So It seems to be a good time to do unusual itineraries as the prices will be better now than ever.

Sorry to be off topic here but I wanted to ask ME a question.

Loretta (and anyone else how is interested) - the Prinsendam 2010 Europe schedules have been on the HAL site for a while now. The Top of the World is in July-Aug. Greenwich (London) to Amsterdam.

Looks interesting for sure. At first when I went in, it said all the lower categories were closed; did it again and the list looked normal with lots of space. Wierd. I notice that happens on HAL. Sometimes I go in and a trip isn't there. Have you ever found that?

Not to be rude..but for crying out loud, Canada is not an iceburg all year long...yes, I know statistically we are the snowiest country in the world, but no where near the coldest..

Right now I am looking out the window at a balmy 13 celcius - okay 55.7 F..which if you check the weather is warmer then Louisville Kentucky (11C) or Columbus Mississippi (12C)...

Seriously June is probably the best month - not too warm - not too many bugs - and not as much rain -

Our July and August's, whereas not as intense as Florida's or other southern states - because of the humudity from the lakes and/or the ocean - can get real real steamy..

So it is a good month and other then maybe a cool morning or two will probably be nice and warm...

To be quite honest, there is no predicting the weather in the coastal areas of the Maritime Provinces. June can be warm and sunny (in the 70's) or it can be cool, foggy and misty ( in the low 60's) ----and sometimes all in the same day. So----be prepared to layer your clothing so you can strip off if the fog burns off and the day warms up.

If you are going inland, it will be much warmer at any time of the summer---even a few miles inland will make a difference.

Even if the day is very warm it will suddenly get quite cool around 6PM and you will need a sweatshirt or jacket.

At sea in the summer even if it is in the 80's on land it will be quite cold at sea. You will need sweaters and jackets on deck.

Fog can enshroud the harbour and a few blocks away it will be warm and sunny. We have weird weather on the coast but we are used to it.

Right now it is about 48 degrees F outside and the snow is gone except for in the woods. The rivers have started to open up and the broken ice is packing along the shores. A month from now the leaves will be all out on the trees, we will be mowing lawns and the weather will be quite nice---hard to believe at this point but it will.:)

Not to be rude..but for crying out loud, Canada is not an iceburg all year long...yes, I know statistically we are the snowiest country in the world, but no where near the coldest..

Right now I am looking out the window at a balmy 13 celcius - okay 55.7 F..which if you check the weather is warmer then Louisville Kentucky (11C) or Columbus Mississippi (12C)...

Seriously June is probably the best month - not too warm - not too many bugs - and not as much rain -

Our July and August's, whereas not as intense as Florida's or other southern states - because of the humudity from the lakes and/or the ocean - can get real real steamy..

So it is a good month and other then maybe a cool morning or two will probably be nice and warm...

I guess that's why us Northern folk chuckle when we see the southern license plates crossing the border with ski racks loaded with skiis and winter gear in the summer.

Archived