Luggage Limit of 2!

suzyed

I see now where NCL is limiting luggage to two bags weighing less than 50 pounds each.

Does anyone know if we can also carry our computer cases?

We are spending a week north of Seattle after our cruise, so we will have a little more "stuff" with us than usual.

You can carry whatever you like as long as it fits through a standard airline carry on scanner.

They have just published that limit and it is per person and I cannot imagine them being able to enforce it, or even know how they would try because you DO NOT check your luggage in with NCL at all at any point, you turn them over to the dock workers and you TIP them generously, if you want to see your bags. No one counts them or gives you a receipt or anything of the sort.

I can't really understand why they bothered to add this limit used to be 200 lbs pp.

anyway you won't have any trouble carrying your laptop or anything else you want to carry as long as it is not on the prohibited list.

I'm sorry. Where are you seeing a luggage limitation on NCL? Thanks, Nancy

How many suitcases can I bring?

Each person is allowed up to 200 pounds of personal luggage on board. However, if you are traveling by air, ask the airline if it has different restrictions. Airlines and NCL have limited liability for loss, so be sure all baggage and personal belongings are properly insured. Suitcases should be securely locked and tagged. You should hand-carry medication, jewelry or other valuables and important documents.

Sorry, but I can't imagine ever needing more than 2 bags @ 50 lbs. apiece, especially with Freestyle's relaxed dress code.

I agree. We never take more than 1 bag each on a one week cruise...and we pack enough to have clean clothes for both daytime and night...in other words 14 days worth each.

Sorry, but I can't imagine ever needing more than 2 bags @ 50 lbs. apiece,

hahaha :D

SHOES!

DH traveled with another couple last year and filled the cargo space AND the back seat of a HUMMER limo... it was RIDICULOUS

Of course that was for an RCI cruise... perhaps this freestyle idea will tame me from my maintenance issues.... lol

Ever since I went on a tour with Rick Steves I have done my best to limit myself to one carry on bag with 20 pounds. No one who is packing light requires 100 pounds. I find the 20 pound bag gets heavy after a while lugging it around. And if they do require more than 100 pounds, they aren't packing light. I can't imagine anyone lugging 100 pounds around all day long.

It will be interesting to see if it did change how they could even enforce it, and if there are exceptions to longer cruises. You rarely get all of your bags at the same time anyway, or at least we rarely do. I just checked the NCL travel contract and it does not mention any baggage limitation at all so I am not for sure what they could do to you if you had more than two bags per person anyway.

It will be interesting to see if it did change how they could even enforce it, and if there are exceptions to longer cruises. You rarely get all of your bags at the same time anyway, or at least we rarely do. I just checked the NCL travel contract and it does not mention any baggage limitation at all so I am not for sure what they could do to you if you had more than two bags per person anyway.

I totally agree we never get them at the same time. I am just looking at my welcome aboard booklet for my upcoming cruise and it states two pieces of luggage with each piece weighing no more than 50 lbs, so it looks like it is cut in half. I still don't see how it can be enforced, the only way could be if they put each passenger luggage together and then check, will never happen.

And addd to that with limitations on luggage...NO LAUNDROMAT AVAILABLE!!!! That could be a challenge for some.

and it doesn't look like there is any special accomodations for longer cruises, except to pay and have your laundry done by the ship

Sorry, but I can't imagine ever needing more than 2 bags @ 50 lbs. apiece, especially with Freestyle's relaxed dress code.

I can! We'll be on a 12 day Baltic with a few additional days on land. The weather will be on the colder side in May so 14 days clothes (and not talking shorts and t-shirts) will likely fill more then 4 cases when you add in shoes and such. Course, I'm a girl, gotta have my shoes. DH and I generally have 3 large cases between the 2 of us for a 7 day cruise so I'm thinking we'll have at least 5 for this Baltic trip.

My cruise booklet that came in the mail did have the 2 cases up to 50 lbs limit noted in it.

and it doesn't look like there is any special accomodations for longer cruises, except to pay and have your laundry done by the ship

We use one bag per person for a one week cruise with no problems, (and I'm a big guy whose clothes take up a lot of room), so two bags per person should suffice for a two week cruise and be within the allowable limit. If you need room for more stuff you can always use a carry on or two.

When you have size 13 shoes (most womens shoes can fit inside mine), you take snorkeling gear and are gone for 4 weeks the 2 bag limit is somewhat restrictive but we got along with at on our Amazon Float on HAL but they had laundry facilities. If this had been a ship without laundry we would probably have spent $100 on ship board laundry:(.

When you have size 13 shoes (most womens shoes can fit inside mine), you take snorkeling gear and are gone for 4 weeks the 2 bag limit is somewhat restrictive but we got along with at on our Amazon Float on HAL but they had laundry facilities. If this had been a ship without laundry we would probably have spent $100 on ship board laundry:(.

NCL doesn't do any 4 week or longer cruises as I recall. Frankly, I was surprised when the new NCL ships were bulit with the laundry rooms. While they're nice to have for the passengers, they really aren't needed for ships that do 3 to 14 day cruises. If NCL passengers had respected the laundry facilities and their fellow passengers right to use them better than they did I suspect the line would still have them.

The ships built for cruise lines that routinely do longer itineraries typically have self service laundry rooms for just that reason. The best cruise ship laundry room I've ever seen is on the QM2.

I can! We'll be on a 12 day Baltic with a few additional days on land. The weather will be on the colder side in May so 14 days clothes (and not talking shorts and t-shirts) will likely fill more then 4 cases when you add in shoes and such. Course, I'm a girl, gotta have my shoes. DH and I generally have 3 large cases between the 2 of us for a 7 day cruise so I'm thinking we'll have at least 5 for this Baltic trip.

My cruise booklet that came in the mail did have the 2 cases up to 50 lbs limit noted in it.

Some need to see some packing light videos, there is no need to pack more than 3 days of clothes plus the one day you are wearing. The ship has a laundry service aboard, not to mention self serve laundry mats are available on shore at every port of call. Of course, you might have to spend some time ashore at a laundry mat. Rick Steves limits his tour groups to one carry on bag, no more than 20 pounds. Clothes can be laundered.....

In the day where airlines are charging more for checked baggage than your flight, one should get the idea one may have to either use the ships/hotel laundry or visit a self serve laundry mat instead.

Some need to see some packing light videos, there is no need to pack more than 3 days of clothes plus the one day you are wearing. The ship has a laundry service aboard, not to mention self serve laundry mats are available on shore at every port of call. Of course, you might have to spend some time ashore at a laundry mat. Rick Steves limits his tour groups to one carry on bag, no more than 20 pounds. Clothes can be laundered.....

In the day where airlines are charging more for checked baggage than your flight, one should get the idea one may have to either use the ships/hotel laundry or visit a self serve laundry mat instead.

Rick Steves doesn't run cruise ship tour groups.

What cruise ship passenger with only a few hours to spend in a port is going to waste even 5 minutes on laundry?

And addd to that with limitations on luggage...NO LAUNDROMAT AVAILABLE!!!! That could be a challenge for some.

The ship has a laundry/cleaner service. They also have a special. Yes, the airlines are limiting and charging more for bags than what some flight costs. I would rather pay for the laundry service than pay so much more to the airlines.

Three days of clothes for a 14 day trip? I don't think so, I'm wearing clean clothes daily and not going on vacation to do laundry. :) I'll take my 5 bags if the airlines allow and take my chances with NCL. If the porters won't take them I'll carry them on. Clearly I will never be touring with Rick Steves, who-ever that is. :eek:

Ever since I went on a tour with Rick Steves I have done my best to limit myself to one carry on bag with 20 pounds. No one who is packing light requires 100 pounds. I find the 20 pound bag gets heavy after a while lugging it around. And if they do require more than 100 pounds, they aren't packing light. I can't imagine anyone lugging 100 pounds around all day long.

You met Rick Steves?! How cool. He has been my travel guru for years. Thanks to him I have gone on many trips without checking a bag. Even went to Europe for 10 days once with just a carry on and that included one nice outfit to wear when we went to a fancy restaurant. I splurged last year and checked one bag and had a carry on for my 7 day cruise. If you need more than two bags each you really are taking too much stuff. Once you learn to pack light you never want to lug around multiple suit cases again.

Archived