Passport book or card?

My husband and I are getting passports for the first time for our cruise in November. Any opinions on whether we should get the passport book or the new passport card? We will be driving to port, so air travel is not a concern. :confused:

Yeah, what she said.

The passport card is great and handy and small, but if you EVER fly out of the country in the next ten years, you'll need the full passport, which will be an additional $100. Spend ONLY the $100 now and have the passport and be done with it for 10 years. :)

Get passports for now. The passport cards are relatively new and the regulations may change again in the next 10 years. If there are changes, the passport cards might be more accepted then, and they are much cheaper to apply for if you request them at the same time as your passport renewal. :)

Bite the bullet. Get a regular passport, it is a great form of identification for any number of situations. It is good for 10 years so that works out to only about $10 a year.

Happy travels.

We will be driving to port, so air travel is not a concern. :confused:

Air travel to the port is not the concern. It is air travel BACK HOME from a foreign country where you need the "regular" passport (and the card will not help here). Get the regular passport book. Makes life much easier in so many ways.

As I understand the card, it is mainly for folks who are traveling across the US/Mexico/Canada borders BY CAR or foot on a fairly regular basis (like folks living in the border states areas). From what I have read, it will not help if you are out of the country and need to get home (unless you are driving across a border).

When I updated my passport book I also got the card.

With all the debate on if you should take the passport into the port or leave on the ship, I figure I can carry the card into port with me and leave the passport book in the safe. Then if something happened I would have the card with all my info if need to reissue a book to fly if get left behind with out my luggage and book.

We will be driving to port, so air travel is not a concern. :confused:

Everyone's suggesting it for future travel. You certainly could have the opportunity to travel internationally within the next ten years, even if it's just flying to a resort in Mexico or something. Maybe someone'll say, "Hey let's go to Mexico in six weeks." Then you'd be TOTALLY stressed about getting the passport in time.

When I updated my passport book I also got the card.

With all the debate on if you should take the passport into the port or leave on the ship, I figure I can carry the card into port with me and leave the passport book in the safe. Then if something happened I would have the card with all my info if need to reissue a book to fly if get left behind with out my luggage and book.

Your solution sounds like an expensive version of wearing a belt and suspenders. The card's primary purpose is for those who regularly make land border crossings and isn't intended or good as a substitute for a regular passport for international travel. If anyone else is considering following your example I'd advise them to save the money and just get the real thing. :)

Your solution sounds like an expensive version of wearing a belt and suspenders. The card's primary purpose is for those who regularly make land border crossings and isn't intended or good as a substitute for a regular passport for international travel. If anyone else is considering following your example I'd advise them to save the money and just get the real thing. :)

It only cost an extra $20 - sorry I don't see that as expensive if you are spending $1,000 plus on a cruise.

I already had a passport so I did not need to pay the extra notary fee and sent it all in by mail, I had to update my name due to a marriage anways.

Beside it is not only land but also good for caribbean cruises. Another thought, living in the US if I travel near canada or mexico and decide to cross the border for an unplanned side trip, with my card in the wallet I won't have to say can't do that the passport is at home beacause I was not planning on going across the border.

OK guys! We also ordered the passport cards when we renewed our passports. They are cheap and easy to order when you do them at the same time as you renew your passport. What snotty comments you've both made! The regulations have been pushed off/changed and modified so many times in the last 3 years....you don't know what's going to happen in the next 10 years. I don't carry my passport onshore in Caribbean ports now...if I choose to carry my passport card anywhere I go...it is no skin off of your nose. I will still be on my own when it comes to emergency flights...I doubt if you will be there saying...I told you so. :rolleyes:

A passport card would still work fine for the short Mexico cruises...if worse came to worse you can DRIVE into the US from Ensenada or Cabo. :D

I think the passport card should be eliminated it really serves no purpose. If 20. extra is that important to you then you probably really dont need a passport to begin with.

Serves no purpose!!! Huh So having a passport book has a purpose but a card doesn't? Don't quite get the logic. I have a Book and a card. Put the book in my back pocket, and have the cards in my wallet. Card has been nothing but useful and with purpose. Walking up to Custom in the port of miami they already have all of DW and I's information. Also serves as a really great ID...

The card is the wave of the future, but not anytime soon, and NOT the current cards. All current Passport cards have the following statement on the back, upper left. (I am typing while looking at the card):

"Valid only for international land and sea travel between United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda."

Note it is NOT good for air travel and it is not good outside the areas listed.

I have both. Both the passport books and cards now contain electronic information as well as multiple levels of copy protection. The passport card is an additional form of ID and would allow passports to be recreated quickly because they can be scanned for all relevant info.

But you still need a passport. What if you were in Mexico or the Caribbean, missed your boat, needed to fly and only had a passport card? Oops. Now you're stuck.

Actually, I am not even sure you can get just a passport card, I think you might have to get either the book or both.

Serves no purpose!!! Huh So having a passport book has a purpose but a card doesn't? Don't quite get the logic. I have a Book and a card. Put the book in my back pocket, and have the cards in my wallet. Card has been nothing but useful and with purpose. Walking up to Custom in the port of miami they already have all of DW and I's information. Also serves as a really great ID...

Logic is you cant fly with it or did you forget that part. If you need a spare ID go to the FLorida DMV and get one for 10 bucks.

Im a TA and I just had passengers refused boarding two weeks ago on the Celebrity Infinity doing a Panama Canal cruise . it was a stressful event for myself and my passengers . They had to go to Miami the next day buy a passport and then fly to Grand Cayman And pick up the ship. The cruiseline said they could travel with the card but the pier said no..And the pier overides everything..Something about Columbia and having to fly home if somebody got ill.. All I can say is after that episode I would not reccomend the passport card as your only means of travel identification

I do love the idea of having a card along with the book to keepin the wallet ..never thought about that ..good idea

Logic is you cant fly with it or did you forget that part. If you need a spare ID go to the FLorida DMV and get one for 10 bucks.

Unless I misunderstand your comment, you certainly can fly with a passport card...you just can't fly internationally. But you can fly to and from Florida before and after your cruise! :confused:

Im a TA and I just had passengers refused boarding two weeks ago on the Celebrity Infinity doing a Panama Canal cruise . it was a stressful event for myself and my passengers . They had to go to Miami the next day buy a passport and then fly to Grand Cayman And pick up the ship. The cruiseline said they could travel with the card but the pier said no..And the pier overides everything..Something about Columbia and having to fly home if somebody got ill.. All I can say is after that episode I would not reccomend the passport card as your only means of travel identification. I do love the idea of having a card along with the book to keepin the wallet ..never thought about that ..good idea
I am so sorry for you and your clients! This is a perfect example of some of the misconceptions of the utility of the passport card. Many people think it is a "land and sea only passport", but it is not. The itinerary of your clients, a transcanal cruise out of the Caribbean basin and which includes Colombia, has always required a passport for travel. Again, I am sorry they had to learn this hard lesson.

Unless I misunderstand your comment, you certainly can fly with a passport card...you just can't fly internationally. But you can fly to and from Florida before and after your cruise! :confused:

You know what I meant and the poster knows what I meant. Unless you are trying to boost your post total I am not sure why you felt obligated to drag this out further.

You know what I meant and the poster knows what I meant. Unless you are trying to boost your post total I am not sure why you felt obligated to drag this out further.

Okay first of all, boosting my post total is completely retarded. I have no interest in that.

Nor do I have interest in COMPLETELY rude comments. Obviously I didn't know what you mean.

Don't bother replying, I'm done with you. Have a good life wallowing in your rudeness. There are plenty of other nice people on this board to talk to.

Sure, but if you get have to leave the ship at a foreign port in the Caribbean, you can not fly back into the US without the passport. My father-in-law got ill on a cruise and we were all evacuated to a hospital in Jamaica and we needed the passports to fly home. You don't need any passport to fly domestically, your drivers license will surfice, but your license will not get you on a foreign flight to get back home.

Sure, but if you get have to leave the ship at a foreign port in the Caribbean, you can not fly back into the US without the passport. My father-in-law got ill on a cruise and we were all evacuated to a hospital in Jamaica and we needed the passports to fly home. You don't need any passport to fly domestically, your drivers license will surfice, but your license will not get you on a foreign flight to get back home.

Oh I completely agree, which is why I have the passport book. However, I'm part of another huge thread that discusses whether or not you bring your passport into town or leave it in the safe. It's pretty split 50/50 on that TREMENDOUS thread and everyone is very adamant about their stance and won't be changed. I'm a leave-it-in-the-safe person because while things happen like your FIL experienced (sorry about that!!), chances are MUCH better that they won't.

:)

Oh I completely agree, which is why I have the passport book. However, I'm part of another huge thread that discusses whether or not you bring your passport into town or leave it in the safe. It's pretty split 50/50 on that TREMENDOUS thread and everyone is very adamant about their stance and won't be changed. I'm a leave-it-in-the-safe person because while things happen like your FIL experienced (sorry about that!!), chances are MUCH better that they won't.

:)

I am part of that discussion - adamant about leaving the passport in the safe. As soon as my passport needs renewing, I am getting another one and the passport card - I think it would be much easier to replace a passport using the card, then just bringing in a copy of the passport, so I will leave the passport in the safe in my cabin and put the card in my wallet and the copy of my passport in my husband's wallet.

I guess I believe in belt and suspenders and anything else that can help.

The thread on where to keep the passport got a little ridiculous, this thread has gotten a lot ridiculous. Signing off on this one.

Archived