star quick question

j!m

we are not frequent princess sailors but will be on the star for a month this year. on formal nights is there any place other than our own room where we could be served dinner without having to wear formal clothing?

thanks

we are not frequent princess sailors but will be on the star for a month this year. on formal nights is there any place other than our own room where we could be served dinner without having to wear formal clothing?

thanks

Yes, the buffet.

thanks

Also check out the alternative (?) restaurants onboard. It has been reported that they are all now resort casual, even on formal night. I would enquire when you board, it might be a great alternative.

We left our formal wear home for our cruise on Star. The buffet was very good. You can go to the specialty restaurants. Also the ultimate balcony dinner is absolutely wonderful. Hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, room service. We did not miss dressing up and this is what we are doing on our upcoming Golden cruise to Hawaii.

just to be clear, on nights when formal dress is the rule, we can eat in one of the specialty restaurants without formal attire?

sorry to be so anal but we do not really want to pack suits/dresses etc if we dont have to, we will be away for 6 weeks in total and while i will take a jacket, i hate packing suits dress shirts etc and dw feels the same.

just to be clear, on nights when formal dress is the rule, we can eat in one of the specialty restaurants without formal attire?

sorry to be so anal but we do not really want to pack suits/dresses etc if we dont have to, we will be away for 6 weeks in total and while i will take a jacket, i hate packing suits dress shirts etc and dw feels the same.

Most ships are allowing resort casual, which means no suit is needed, in the specialty restaurants, even on formal night. BUT, it is why I said to check once onboard, as it has been reported that some haven't gotten the word yet and are still insisting on passengers dressed correctly to dine in the speciality restaurants. It seems that it is still one of those 'grey' areas. Depending on the ship!

Most ships are allowing resort casual, which means no suit is needed, in the specialty restaurants, even on formal night. BUT, it is why I said to check once onboard, as it has been reported that some haven't gotten the word yet and are still insisting on passengers dressed correctly to dine in the speciality restaurants. It seems that it is still one of those 'grey' areas. Depending on the ship!

2009 Cruise Answer Book says that the formal request is only for the Traditional Dining and Anytime dining venues. (page 10)

2009 Cruise Answer Book says that the formal request is only for the Traditional Dining and Anytime dining venues. (page 10)

I just found that Cruise Answer Book on the Princess website for the first time after reading your post. Thanks for the heads-up. The one I accessed, however, says it's the 2008 Cruise Answer Book. Is there a newer version that I don't have access to (same for the 2008 Cruise Atlas)?

I just found that Cruise Answer Book on the Princess website for the first time after reading your post. Thanks for the heads-up. The one I accessed, however, says it's the 2008 Cruise Answer Book. Is there a newer version that I don't have access to (same for the 2008 Cruise Atlas)?

You can always go to www.princess.com and read their latest one. It will be in .PDF format.

thanks

They'll still serve you in the main dining room if you're neatly dressed even if not totally formal no matter what the Cruise Answer Book or others say. Don't forgo the better meals on formal nights & eat at the buffet. ;)

I received an email from Alan Bucklew prior to our Crown sailing that the alternative dining rooms had gone resort casual on all nights fleetwide. I inquired when we boarded the Crown and was told the same thing and confirmed it with the Crown Grill as well. We ate the Crown Grill on one of the formal nights and I can tell you that most people that we encountered were dressed in resort casual in there. I don't remember seeing one tux or ball gown but I could have missed those tucked away in the back booths.

We did the UBD on the other formal night and it was fantastic.

Just wondering how formal the Alaskan cruises are? We do not plan on trying to pack all the formal stuff for that in August due to all the heavier clothing we will have to take. We don't plan on wearing jeans to the dining room, but hope that our dockers and nice slacks and shirts will be fine to wear.

Any suggestions from anyone?

Just wondering how formal the Alaskan cruises are? We do not plan on trying to pack all the formal stuff for that in August due to all the heavier clothing we will have to take. We don't plan on wearing jeans to the dining room, but hope that our dockers and nice slacks and shirts will be fine to wear.

Any suggestions from anyone?

Despite what some of the others say it'll probably be acceptable on formal evenings. It's really a rare occasion when people are refused entrance to the dining room for not being formally dressed especially if you throw on a sweater as you before entering.

If you are talking about in general, Alaskan cruises are like other Princess cruises with casual clothing during the day and "smart casual" on most nights.

For the nights designated as "formal", Princess requests that if you eat in any of the main dining rooms, men should either wear formal attire or a dark suit and women a fancy pants suit or dress.

Yes, on some ships you might get into the main dining room wearing smart casual on a formal night, but you may feel out of place. And on other ships, you might be refused admittance. Seems to depend on who is guarding the entrance.

Hello, I was wondering the same things about if we could dine at the specialty restaurants on formal night without dressing formally. I have the 2009 cruise answer book in front of me. It does not say "only" It just says:

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

However, then on page 15 it says "Guests who wish to have a casual dinner on formal nights can take advantage of our casual dining options"

If you go to page 25, where all of the dining options are listed, there is "specialty dining" and then "casual dining". The specialty restaurants are not considered part of the casual dining.

Page 10 would lead you to believe only the traditional venues are formal but the specialties aren't part of casual sooooooooo??? :)

So, in my opinion, this is all a bit confusing. We were told by our travel agent that even the specialty restaurants required proper attire.

I'm going to try to contact Princess and see what I get for an answer. We leave in 2 weeks! Diamond Princess Alaska southbound!

Julie

We had decided not go go formal on 1 of our cruises and told our servers the night before that we would not be there on formal night. They insisted we come and enjoy the lobster, etc. I really didn't want to go because I thought I would be uncomfortable, but hubby insisted. He wore and nice long sleeve dress shirt and slacks and I wore a black travel outfit and as it turned out there were quite a few people dressed as we were. So in the future, I will dress formal for the captain's cocktail party and he will wear his suit and the other 2 formal nights we will wear dressy casual outfits. That way we don't have to pack as many outfits. I don't think people dress as formal as they did 10-15 years ago.

I don't think people dress as formal as they did 10-15 years ago.

I personally find this to be sad. Other than being a bride and groom, when do we regular folks get to dress to the 9s and feel special! Used to be, when we were sailing! Dress Up, Dine in Style, and dance till you drop!

Now, if I read this properly, we, the ones with tudedos on will feel like penguins on formal nights rather than special. I am beginning to think I have wasted my money ensuring my wife had 2 outfits for the formals and the rental of my tux.

What's next, cutoff jeans and string bikinis. It's almost like there is an intentional effort to see how far one can push the "what used to be" traditions of being on a ship.

Go Carnival or some other rinky dink boat! I believe, if you look hard enough you can even find nudist cruises, then you can leave everything at home. This is a Princess Cruise and that alone should say something!

I can't believe that since last sailing (Sun Princess about 1978) the customers who choose to sail Princess have deteriorated to this level.

IMHO... Cruising is a traditional form of travel, that carries with it some TRADITIONS!! I can't wait till the day comes when the Captain and crew show up on deck wearing cutoffs and sandels, unshaven and no shower! After all, what is their uniform and professional appearance but a maritime tradition! I say GET RID OF IT, it means nothing!!

Boy!! I can't wait to see how badly I get beat up for this post!!

OK! Got my thick skin armour on so let me have it.

I personally find this to be sad. Other than being a bride and groom, when do we regular folks get to dress to the 9s and feel special! Used to be, when we were sailing! Dress Up, Dine in Style, and dance till you drop!

Now, if I read this properly, we, the ones with tudedos on will feel like penguins on formal nights rather than special. I am beginning to think I have wasted my money ensuring my wife had 2 outfits for the formals and the rental of my tux.

What's next, cutoff jeans and string bikinis. It's almost like there is an intentional effort to see how far one can push the "what used to be" traditions of being on a ship.

Go Carnival or some other rinky dink boat! I believe, if you look hard enough you can even find nudist cruises, then you can leave everything at home. This is a Princess Cruise and that alone should say something!

I can't believe that since last sailing (Sun Princess about 1978) the customers who choose to sail Princess have deteriorated to this level.

IMHO... Cruising is a traditional form of travel, that carries with it some TRADITIONS!! I can't wait till the day comes when the Captain and crew show up on deck wearing cutoffs and sandels, unshaven and no shower! After all, what is their uniform and professional appearance but a maritime tradition! I say GET RID OF IT, it means nothing!!

Boy!! I can't wait to see how badly I get beat up for this post!!

OK! Got my thick skin armour on so let me have it.

No one is going to criticize you for dressing formally. It's your choice, but just don't expect everyone in the crowd to follow your lead. That's what makes Princess so nice to travel on- everyone gets to decide just how formal they want to dress on the formal nights.

YES! I HAVE the SOLUTION!

The British were right all along! Lets go back the the class system. You know 1st class passengers, 2nd, 3rd etc all the way down to steerage!

Down there, below the waterling, you can dress anyway you want!

I still can't believe that you would walk onto the ship, look around in wonder at the magnificent beauty of the atrium and public rooms then disrespect the crew who sails her, to say nothing of your fellow passengers in is such a cavalier and intentional manner.

The class system would most certainly work! The ones that want some class can have it and the hicks can go in steerage.

God Save the Queen!

Archived