Guilty Pleasure

I feel somewhat guilty for indulging myself on a luxury (Regent) cruise in November.

Our economy is in the toilet yet I'm spending $10K+ cash on a vacation that many people could only dream of taking. Perhaps I am stimulating the economy by taking this trip? Or maybe I should just cancel it altogether? :confused:

Does anyone else feel these pangs of guilt?

I definitely understand what you are feeling. Recently USA Today asked if people who are traveling on luxury lines right now are feeling guilty. My response (which was printed in the newspaper -- sorry to sound pompous -- just thrilled to be quoted:D) was that I feel fortunate to be able to travel during these difficult times. But, I find myself not discussing cruises with my friends -- lest it sound like bragging. So many people who have lost their jobs have worked just as hard as we have to build a nest egg that would enable them to travel around our beautiful world. We appreciate what we are able to do -- just don't want to brag to other people.

If you can afford to take the cruise -- my opinion is to go ahead with it. It definitely stimulates the economy!

Nope.

I work hard for my money. I scrimp and save and so enjoy my Regent cruises. Our first Regent (then Radisson) cruise was 19 days over Christmas and New Years for our 10th anniversary. It was to be a "once in a lifetime experience." We have found the value so good that we have been cruising Regent ever since. A friend on one of my first cruises explained Radisson perfectly:

They treat you like you have a million bucks even when you don't! ;)

Enjoy your first Regent cruise and maybe we will see you on many more to come.

Thanks for your feedback. I feel a little better about taking this trip. When I took my first-ever cruise (on Regent in French Polynesia) I was hooked. Fortunately my only debt is my mortgage so I don't feel 100% guilty about splurging.

Only my best friend and family know about my vacation. I'm sure as the cruise date nears, I'll tell more people about it.

Thanks again for "listening" and your replies. :rolleyes:

will never get back the years that you will lose waiting for things to change. Go for it. You only have one life to live.

I totally agree!! We feel blessed that we are able to sail Regent and decided to just go for it. We're not getting any younger.

As mentioned above, however, we do find ourselves keeping the news of another cruise (especially a luxury one) to ourselves until the last minute. Our experience for our last cruise (even though it was NCL) was that the moment we told our friends we were going, there was kind of a stunned silence. Don't want to go there again.

I agree with all the above. My husband and myself enjoy time to ourselves (being the parents to four children) and on our last Regent cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary we were treated like a million bucks, quoting mrlevin. It was worth every penny, when we are to old to travel we will look back on our videos and we will not regret a thing.

We kept our last cruise somewhat to ourselves, although we usually do, since many of our friends are financially less well off than we have been. I did feel guilty about that one, not on that account, but on our own account--since we are in the "retirement danger zone", investment-wise, and our investments of course have lost value. I also lost my job last year, and am now perhaps forcibly retired (still looking, but.)

We have a Voyager trip booked again in December, and haven't decided whether we will take it or not. Guilt won't come into it, but practicality will.

If anyone looks shocked when they hear of our cruise, I tell them that it's the only trip I'm taking all year, a lousy two weeks when I've usually tried to do four or more. If I'm going to cut back that much, certainly I deserve a little pampering?

To justify it to myself, I look at how much money my investments "lost" in the past year, and realize what kinds of wondrous cruises I could have taken with the proceeds had I been smart enough to sell it all before the crash. I figure our July cruise is a consolation prize, and if I end up losing the rest over the next year, at least I'll have gotten something out of it!

I don't feel guilty at all. It is my money to spend as I wish. I work very hard for it. I am not endangering my children's future by spending it on a cruise. I have seen way too many people work all the time and never have any fun because they were planning to do that when they retire. Then they get sick or die before they retire or right after.

Because of the ecomony I will likely be working a few years longer than planned--phooey--just longer till I am able to do that world cruise.

I think there are some basic obligations associated with having some $$$$$...spending it:eek: Purchasing products and services, cruises too, keeps people working and earning paychecks..money has to be kept in circulation...think what would happen if you kept it in a bank or buried it in your yard....I consider it a devout act of patriotism and spend money whenever I have the opportunity...aren't you proud of me...and yes, I do donate a considerable amount because I enjoy that as well:)

Because of the ecomony I will likely be working a few years longer than planned--phooey--just longer till I am able to do that world cruise.

Rachel, I agree! We originally planned on the 2014 World Cruise, then pushed it back to 2016, now it looks like the 2020 World Cruise.

I feel somewhat guilty for indulging myself on a luxury (Regent) cruise in November.

Our economy is in the toilet yet I'm spending $10K+ cash on a vacation that many people could only dream of taking. Perhaps I am stimulating the economy by taking this trip? Or maybe I should just cancel it altogether? :confused:

I see no reason to feel guilty about taking a cruise you can afford. Who benefits if you do not take it? As Dave Ramsey says, we've decided not to participate in this recession.

Guilty Pleasure

Originally Posted by Caroldoll viewpost.gif

will never get back the years that you will lose waiting for things to change. Go for it. You only have one life to live.

Are you living to work or working to live? I was raised ,as many of us were, to get a job settle down raise a family and save for a rainy day. You know what they forgot? The Sunny one's! Change is the one constant in life that's inevitable. It's not what happens to you it's how you react to it.

Originally Posted by linda_22003 viewpost.gif

As Dave Ramsey says, we've decided not to participate in this recession

Our 401 is now a 101, even more reason to go. It,s a proven fact that those who vacation and relieve stress will live a healthier, Happier and hopefully longer life!

Having spent some time in I.C.U., talk about expensive and the food forget about it. None of us know how many day's we have left, so go and have some fun while you still are able too!

"IF NOT NOW WHEN?"

"IF YOU WAIT FOR ALL THE LIGHTS TO TURN GREEN YOU'LL NEVER LEAVE HOME"

I COULD GO ON AND ON, AND UNLESS THIS CRUISE WILL FORCE YOU TO MOVE INTO A TENT GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:D

LARRY AND CINDY

LIVE ALOHA!

Having spent some time in I.C.U., talk about expensive and the food forget about it. None of us know how many day's we have left, so go and have some fun while you still are able too!

LARRY AND CINDY

LIVE ALOHA!

Absolutely right. Our lives changed in a fraction of a second a couple of years ago. Now we are able to contemplate cruising again and hang the expense and certainly no guilt!

It is also important to remember that in spending money on cruising one is giving others the possibility of working and earning...and not just the people on board. Think about the back office, the travel agents, the port excursion people, the shops in the ports one visits - the list is endless. While everyone may be cutting back somewhat it would be a terrible thing for lots and lots of people whose jobs depend on the travel industry if everyone stayed home!!

Archived