H.S. Senior Spring Break--No Way

Just a "heads up" for those thinking about a Senior Spring Break cruise trip. Just got back from the AOS. The 17 and 18 year olds are separated for just about all organized activities on the ship. Obviously, the kids are on the ship at night and because of their ages, have no place to go to enjoy themselves together. The hot tub is for those 18 and over. The adult club does not allow anyone under 18 and the teen club nobody over the age of 17. Our kids were very disappointed. They did not want to drink alcohol, but they did want to dance and have fun together. Plus, the 17 year olds have a 1 am curfew and the 18 year olds don't. It made for a very negative experience...especially because they were being "carded" every time they turned around.

Just a "heads up" for those thinking about a Senior Spring Break cruise trip. Just got back from the AOS. The 17 and 18 year olds are separated for just about all organized activities on the ship. Obviously, the kids are on the ship at night and because of their ages, have no place to go to enjoy themselves together. The hot tub is for those 18 and over. The adult club does not allow anyone under 18 and the teen club nobody over the age of 17. Our kids were very disappointed. They did not want to drink alcohol, but they did want to dance and have fun together. Plus, the 17 year olds have a 1 am curfew and the 18 year olds don't. It made for a very negative experience...especially because they were being "carded" every time they turned around.

It doesn't sound like a very good idea to begin with.

I guess I thought it would be better to be on a cruise with my kid than Cancun where EVERYONE is drunk and doing things in public that should otherwise be done in private. Just my opinion.

Things have changed since my kids had spring break, they used to work during break. Didn't realize the only other alternative was Cancun.

We were on the AOS in March and had a 17 and an 18 yr old with us, and the same rules applied then. They would just be sitting by the pool and security was running them out of there. They were very disappointed and did not have much fun. The curfew has been in place for a while but I've never seen it as enforced as on this ship.

I'm sorry you had this happen to you. However, it's not only during Spring Break that this occurs. The cruise lines really need to come up with alternative activities for this age group and not split them up. We cruised last summer and had the same experience. It was very disappointing for our children as well.

Thank goodness the cruiselines are discouraging these types of groups. College age is bad enough or worse.

I wonder if RCI realizes that these good kids (college bound and future professionals) are prospective future customers...

Things have changed since my kids had spring break, they used to work during break. Didn't realize the only other alternative was Cancun.

My daughter works her butt off in school and at a job all year. You obviously get a vacation, otherwise you wouldn't be cruising. Why is it different for her?

RCI needs to alter things in such a way that 17 and 18 year old Seniors can have fun together. They are just as important as anyone else. They shouldn't be put aside because they are teens "and you know those teens...if given one iota of a chance they will cause trouble!" Sheesh!

I agree this must have been disappointing for your kids. It's too bad they don't have some kind of family lounge for kids, so they could hang out with brothers and sisters regardless of age.

My daughter works her butt off in school and at a job all year. You obviously get a vacation, otherwise you wouldn't be cruising. Why is it different for her?

RCI needs to alter things in such a way that 17 and 18 year old Seniors can have fun together. They are just as important as anyone else. They shouldn't be put aside because they are teens "and you know those teens...if given one iota of a chance they will cause trouble!" Sheesh!

do your kids have curfews at home?

also, does your state have a curfew, I know all 17 year olds here in florida have to be home by 1 am or they can actually get ticketed and the parents have to come get them.

I don't think there's any good solution to this as long as the drinking age on board ship (beer and wine????) is 18. The only way they can stay together is to raise the drinking age to 21, which I personally agree with.

Regardless of what individual 17 yo's will do or not do, they have to establish the policies for everyone. So, 18 yo's are famous for providing alcohol to younger teens, and therefore they cannot mingle in night activities.

It could work if there was a no-alcohol nightclub for 16-20, but I doubt they would do that. You don't end up with enough people in the clubs by segregating them that much by age and alcohol/no alcohol.

I don't think there's any good solution to this as long as the drinking age on board ship (beer and wine????) is 18. The only way they can stay together is to raise the drinking age to 21, which I personally agree with.

Regardless of what individual 17 yo's will do or not do, they have to establish the policies for everyone. So, 18 yo's are famous for providing alcohol to younger teens, and therefore they cannot mingle in night activities.

It could work if there was a no-alcohol nightclub for 16-20, but I doubt they would do that. You don't end up with enough people in the clubs by segregating them that much by age and alcohol/no alcohol.

The drinking age IS 21 on RCCL, except in Europe.

do your kids have curfews at home?

also, does your state have a curfew, I know all 17 year olds here in florida have to be home by 1 am or they can actually get ticketed and the parents have to come get them.

Even the police use discretion. As you say; they can get ticketed, but I am sure they are not ALWAYS ticketed. These cruise ships should be the same. If the kids are playing basketball, board games in the game room, sitting in the hot tub, etc. then they are not causing trouble and should be left alone to enjoy their trip. They should not have to be confined to their rooms. If the parents are okay with it, then I believe the cruiseline should be as well.

The drinking age IS 21 on RCCL, except in Europe.

OK, then I'm confused, which isn't that unusual....:D

The "adult club" mentioned is 18 and above, but the 18 - 20 yo's cannot buy alcohol, right? I mistakenly thought they were still serving beer/wine to this age group.

Then, if not, they definitely should have an alcohol-free 16 - 20 club, so they could spend time together. If the 18 yo's can't drink anyway, they might as well be allowed to go into an "older teen" club.

Thanks for clarifying this for me.

I always tried to work full time during my breaks in college as well. I could never afford to go somewhere on spring break!

I'd bet that a 16-20 year old club would be PACKED. On our cruise Jesters was empty and the DJ was begging the 18 yo's to stay and have fun. They didn't, though, because they wanted to be with their 17 yo friends. I want to emphasize...they were not there to drink alcohol. They wanted to dance and have fun doing so. I think a 16-20 yo club (or something along that line) would be a great hit.

Even the police use discretion. As you say; they can get ticketed, but I am sure they are not ALWAYS ticketed. These cruise ships should be the same. If the kids are playing basketball, board games in the game room, sitting in the hot tub, etc. then they are not causing trouble and should be left alone to enjoy their trip. They should not have to be confined to their rooms. If the parents are okay with it, then I believe the cruiseline should be as well.

Then why even have rules?

Some parents are OK with it until someone gets hurt, intoxicated, etc. Then there is a parent who feels differently than you and sues because RCI should have rules in affect to protect the children.

OK, then I'm confused, which isn't that unusual....:D

The "adult club" mentioned is 18 and above, but the 18 - 20 yo's cannot buy alcohol, right? I mistakenly thought they were still serving beer/wine to this age group.

Then, if not, they definitely should have an alcohol-free 16 - 20 club, so they could spend time together. If the 18 yo's can't drink anyway, they might as well be allowed to go into an "older teen" club.

Thanks for clarifying this for me.

AMEN! My thoughts exactly...this makes absolutely no sense to me.

My DD is 16 right now and has told me she doesn't want to cruise when she turns 18 (early in her senior year of HS). Her reasoning is because she wouldn't be able to go to the teen club anymore and meet friends for the week. She feels there's not a lot of activities for the 18-20 yr old group. I think RCI needs to reconsider allowing High School Seniors that are 18 yrs old in the teen club or at least have some other type of venures for them to meet teens their own age. My DD loves cruising and hates to give it up. I hope they make some kind of changes toward this. Just my DD and my humble opinions. Happy Cruising!

Couldn't agree more. Just returned from Explorer where we were all set to book a cruise for next Easter. However, my oldest son will be 18 then and his brother almost 17. We realised that the oldest one won't be allowed in with teens and nor will he be allowed to drink (although he is allowed here in the UK) - although he could gamble :confused:.

As a consequence we've decided to take a land vacation elsewhere. Much as he's happy to join us (who wouldn't when we're paying ;)) he doesn't want to spend his time hanging around with his parents - go figure :rolleyes:

If RCCL insist on treating the 18-21 year old age group as minors then perhaps they should start to organise a few more things for them, rather than the odd lame 'get-together'. Even at 18-21 it's still quite a step for a young person to walk into a room full of strangers.

Archived