Buying prescription medications in mexico ports

woodley

I suggest you read the following:

http://phoenix.about.com/cs/health/a/mexicodrugs.htm

In particular note that you must have a valid US precsription to bring the drugs back into the US.

uhmmm.....I have brought back medications from Mexico that would require a prescription here....and they sold them over the counter to me. I have never been checked. I am not sure where they enforce this stuff :confused: They never check my medications. I have a ziploc FULL of 'em *shrug*

I've done it numerous times, in numerous places.

They NEVER check my medications going through security (airplane).

I bought some in the pharmacy in Cozumel, Mazatlan and Cabo. Never had any problems *shrug*

uhmmm.....I have brought back medications from Mexico that would require a prescription here....and they sold them over the counter to me. I have never been checked. I am not sure where they enforce this stuff :confused: They never check my medications. I have a ziploc FULL of 'em *shrug*

I'd assume that Customs and Border Protection has decided (and probably rightfully so ) that they have more important things to do than worry about people bringing back prescription drugs from Mexico. However, that doesn't guarantee you won't get caught in a crackdown sometime.

Here's an analogy. We have a highway near our home that is about three miles long and was built as a bypass so traffic could avoid going through the center of a small town. The speed limit on the road is 50 mph, while most limited access roads in the area have speed limits of 55 or 65. Needless to say, a lot of drivers exceed the speed limit, but the limit usually isn't enforced. Usually...but once in a while it is, and on those days car after car is pulled over and ticketed for speeding.

The moral of the story is that just because a law or regulation isn't being enforced right now doesn't mean that it might not be enforced in the future.

njhorseman, after all your research and babble about this subject can you show us one, yep I said one, case where U.S. or Mexican Customs took the meds or arrested a average citizen bringing health related products back into this country?

Knock yourself out:p.

njhorseman, after all your research and babble about this subject can you show us one, yep I said one, case where U.S. or Mexican Customs took the meds or arrested a average citizen bringing health related products back into this country?

Knock yourself out:p.

I don't work as a customs agent, so I couldn't tell you. My guess is you don't either, so how would you know?

Here's something from the U.S. State Department. They say there have been cases of the Mexican police arresting US citizens buying medications in Mexico: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html

"Buying Prescription Drugs: The U.S. Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens not travel to Mexico for the sole purpose of buying prescription drugs. U.S. citizens have been arrested and their medicines confiscated by the Mexican authorities when their prescriptions were written by a licensed American physician and filled by a licensed Mexican pharmacist. There have been cases of U.S. citizens buying prescription drugs in border cities only to be arrested soon after or have money extorted by criminals impersonating police officers. Those arrested are often held for the full 48 hours allowed by Mexican law without charges being filed, then released. During this interval, the detainees are often asked for bribes or are solicited by attorneys who demand large fees to secure their release, which will normally occur without any intercession as there are insufficient grounds to bring criminal charges against the individuals. In addition, U.S. law enforcement officials believe that as much as 25 percent of medications available in Mexico are counterfeit and substandard. Such counterfeit medications may be difficult to distinguish from the real medications and could pose serious health risks to consumers. The importation of prescription drugs into the United States can be illegal in certain circumstances. U.S. law generally permits persons to enter the United States with only an immediate (about one-month) supply of a prescription medication."

Here's another interesting item: http://www.mexconnect.com/en/articles/2879-pharmacies-and-prescription-drugs

"U.S. customs law dictates that the quantity of prescription drugs you may transport across the border be an amount "deemed of immediate need." The U.S. Consulate loosely translates this as a one-month supply. For more information on bringing prescription drugs into the U.S., visit the U.S. Customs web site. For more information, phone +1 (202) 307-2414 in the United States.

In practice, border officials have been less restrictive of people transporting medications across the border, although they have made arrests, especially when large quantities are involved. We advise that if you plan to bring pharmaceuticals back to the U.S., have a copy of a doctor's prescription and/or a doctor's letter with you, as well. The safest practice is to declare all of your purchases at the border. If there are any questions, these can be anticipated prior to your importing the medicines. The U.S. Consulate also warns that Mexican officials can be very strict about the possession of large quantities of controlled substances. Again, if you have your personal physician's written documentation of your medication needs, you may avoid having your medication confiscated, or, in the worst case, being incarcerated."

I'd assume that Customs and Border Protection has decided (and probably rightfully so ) that they have more important things to do than worry about people bringing back prescription drugs from Mexico. However, that doesn't guarantee you won't get caught in a crackdown sometime.

Here's an analogy. We have a highway near our home that is about three miles long and was built as a bypass so traffic could avoid going through the center of a small town. The speed limit on the road is 50 mph, while most limited access roads in the area have speed limits of 55 or 65. Needless to say, a lot of drivers exceed the speed limit, but the limit usually isn't enforced. Usually...but once in a while it is, and on those days car after car is pulled over and ticketed for speeding.

The moral of the story is that just because a law or regulation isn't being enforced right now doesn't mean that it might not be enforced in the future.

I have been through countless security checkpoints. Way too many to count. I have never had anyone open my backpack as it's going through the x-ray machine and look in it. Never in all the trips I've taken. On the other hand, they confiscated batteries (AA). Go figure.

I believe the op's comment from the mexican authority is for CONTROLLED drugs, meaning narcotics. Mexican pharmacies are not allowed to sell those without a prescription. blood pressure pill, antibiotics, etc are sold over the counter. No prescription needed.

I don't work as a customs agent, so I couldn't tell you. My guess is you don't either, so how would you know?

Here's something from the U.S. State Department. They say there have been cases of the Mexican police arresting US citizens buying medications in Mexico: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html

"Buying Prescription Drugs: The U.S. Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens not travel to Mexico for the sole purpose of buying prescription drugs. U.S. citizens have been arrested and their medicines confiscated by the Mexican authorities when their prescriptions were written by a licensed American physician and filled by a licensed Mexican pharmacist. There have been cases of U.S. citizens buying prescription drugs in border cities only to be arrested soon after or have money extorted by criminals impersonating police officers. Those arrested are often held for the full 48 hours allowed by Mexican law without charges being filed, then released. During this interval, the detainees are often asked for bribes or are solicited by attorneys who demand large fees to secure their release, which will normally occur without any intercession as there are insufficient grounds to bring criminal charges against the individuals. In addition, U.S. law enforcement officials believe that as much as 25 percent of medications available in Mexico are counterfeit and substandard. Such counterfeit medications may be difficult to distinguish from the real medications and could pose serious health risks to consumers. The importation of prescription drugs into the United States can be illegal in certain circumstances. U.S. law generally permits persons to enter the United States with only an immediate (about one-month) supply of a prescription medication."

Here's another interesting item: http://www.mexconnect.com/en/articles/2879-pharmacies-and-prescription-drugs

"U.S. customs law dictates that the quantity of prescription drugs you may transport across the border be an amount "deemed of immediate need." The U.S. Consulate loosely translates this as a one-month supply. For more information on bringing prescription drugs into the U.S., visit the U.S. Customs web site. For more information, phone +1 (202) 307-2414 in the United States.

In practice, border officials have been less restrictive of people transporting medications across the border, although they have made arrests, especially when large quantities are involved. We advise that if you plan to bring pharmaceuticals back to the U.S., have a copy of a doctor's prescription and/or a doctor's letter with you, as well. The safest practice is to declare all of your purchases at the border. If there are any questions, these can be anticipated prior to your importing the medicines. The U.S. Consulate also warns that Mexican officials can be very strict about the possession of large quantities of controlled substances. Again, if you have your personal physician's written documentation of your medication needs, you may avoid having your medication confiscated, or, in the worst case, being incarcerated."

Jeesh op>>>been there, done that...no problem whatsoever! Calm down...take a vacation!

Well, I won't be going to Mexico right now, with the flu problems, but our parents retired to South Texas, only a couple of miles from the border. Many, if not most, of the Snowbirds buy some of their medications over the border. The town my parents went to was literally lined with pharmacy's, all catering to the winter visitors.

Prices range from not much difference to 1/10th the price in the US. We've never needed a prescription. As noted several times above, narcotic drugs such as Vicodin are not suppsed to be sold; we've never required any, so I don't know if you could buy them or not.

I have personally never heard of a problem with the medicines--that doesn't mean there aren't any, I've just never heard of anyone having a problem with fake or tainted drugs.

I buy Renova there for $6-7 dollars. My first and only tube that I bought in the USA was about $79 dollars.

I"ve never heard of anyone being hassled about bringing medications home. They always ask about what's in your bags, but we've never been checked, except for the example below.

Just don't say you are bringing 'Drugs' over the border as my dad did once! They did search his bag and had a lot of questions, but laughed and waved him on once they realized he didn't mean hard drugs. Say, 'medications' or "medicine" or something similar instead!

I seriously doubt that they will run you in for having bought BP meds in mexico.

They have more important things to do...like take your cuban cigars.

-Q

Two thumbs up.

One for the great dancer and one for the Cuban's.:D:D

Sorry if you don't like it, pal. Drug prices in this country are a serious scandal, and one of the major reasons why we pay twice the percentage of GDP for health care than every other first-world country. If you think differently, I'm sorry. Why do you think people are going to Canada to buy drugs? Because they like the "ports?" Back to your horses.

You do realize that pharmaceuticals represent just 9-10% of all health care spending right? You are focusing on the wrong part of the iceberg my friend. Pharmaceutical are easy targets to blame but once you their medicines as available as generics, there is no problem with the price.

This is America. If you don't like the price, just have your doctor give you an older generation of medicines that are already generic.

My problem is the $3,000 MRI and the $4,500 CAT scan. The physician community still seems to be doing quite well financially .

This is pretty funny coming from someone who regularly chastises other posters for making broad generalizations, using provocative language, etc.:rolleyes:

It doesn't change the fact that he's right on the money. Drug pricing in this country is ridiculous, even accounting for enormous R&D costs. My glaucoma eye drops cost $85 a month here but were only $35 when purchased in Chile.

I don't begrudge a pharma company recouping their R&D costs (otherwise, they'd never create new drugs) and I don't mind them making reasonable profits after costs, but I certainly mind them making UNreasonable profits until their patent runs out. We take meds because we NEED them and due to their over-pricing, too many people must choose between their health and eating. I'm grateful I can afford them, but not everyone is as blessed.

I have to agree on the glaucoma medications. My biggest bottle of eyedrops is 1.5ml with .1% active ingredients. Cost on my three tiny bottles of (I assume) mostly water and .0001% preservative range from $80-$139. There is no way this can represent a reasonable profit, but I am not willing to mess with my eyesight, so I pay it.

I have been a little reticent about buying glaucoma medicine in Mexico, even though we've had good luck with other drugs. Just because it's my eyes, I guess.

Also agree about the tests. My husband recently had a colonoscopy, CAT scan, barium enema and a swallowing test (can't remember the name) and so far costs at our small rural hospitals, all out-patient, are over $10,000 and counting. They found nothing wrong to explain the stomach problems he's been having, which is good, but was very expensive.

The only good thing is it put us over our $3000 insurance deductible and all medications and other covered medical services are now free for the rest of the year!

I do think pharmaceutical companies and hospitals deserve a decent profit, just not an exorbitant one. And I believe doctors (and nurses) should be very well paid, given the costs of their education, insurance and the skill and techniques required and the stress and dedication that go along with it.

I have to chime in too-we have been going to Algadonas for 20 years not only for prescription drugs but bifocal glasses and dental work. I saved thousands on dental work and more than 50% off what I would pay in US for designer eyeglasses with no-line bifocals-never had any problems. Go there (Algadonas) in the winter time when the snowbirds are there and you won't have to take my word for it !! Lines everywhere and appointments a must at the dentists and eyedocs. We didn't all just fall off a turnip truck. We have pretty good insurance but would be giving up alot if we had to pay in US for all of this. If I am in Yuma 10 days visiting my brother I'll make 3 or more trips to Algadonas and yep you guessed it 90 days each time.

And before that last 20 years went regular to Nogalas while we lived at Davis Monthan AFB.

[quote name='sharonax3']I believe the op's comment from the mexican authority is for CONTROLLED drugs, meaning narcotics. Mexican pharmacies are not allowed to sell those without a prescription. blood pressure pill, antibiotics, etc are sold over the counter. No prescription needed.[/QUOTE]

Codeine medications are being sold as well OTC. (in some pharmacies)

Archived