Please be specific in the questions that you ask.

I don't want to ignite a firestorm here, but here goes:

When you ask a question pertaining to a specific port, please be more specific as to when you are going to be there (i.e. - Livorno, 09/14/2009, 07:00-19:00). This can make a big difference in the accuracy of the responses that you get. You may not realize it but many questions are time and date sensitive. An answer to a question pertaining to June in Rome may not be an accurate answer for the same question for September in Rome.

Before you ask a question, check to see if the question has been asked before. Use the “Search” function to see. If your question is about trains to Florence, try to search for “trains Florence”. My guess is that you will find tons of responses. After that, if you still have unanswered questions, ask them.

This forum is basically made up of two types of travelers – those that have been there and those that have not. Those that have been there spend a lot of time answering questions (willingly, gladly, and happily). For those of us who are regulars, the “cringe factor” sets in every single time a question appears for the 20th or the 534th time. The forum looses contributors because of this.

Please become friends with Google, and maps.google.com. Both have a wealth of information available to you at your fingertips. The more you search, the more that you will learn. I’m not the new kid on the block and I use both, extensively, every single day. One of the best parts of a cruise to the Mediterranean, or any place that you have not been before, is learning about it. Do not take this opportunity away from yourself!

Thank you all for reading and keep the questions coming to us. Best wishes for the greatest cruise ever.

Very well said.

Also, I would like to add... Try the Trip Advisor also. It is a great city specific site with may local experts. The Cruise Critic is one of my favorite places of all time, but I think the Trip Advisor is a fantastic place to find information from locals.

Yup, what GSPLover said.

And if I could put in one more plea: PLEASE try to title your post with something specific as well. I might pass up a post that was titled "Need help with hotels" but I would read one titled "Need hotel in Rome close to Pantheon" every time. (And reply, for the 534th time...:D)

I agree!

And to add my pet gripe - Please have the courtesy to reply to those who have taken quite a lot of time to answer your questions. I know we don't have to reply, but when you are trying to help people it's good to get a simple 'thank you' or perhaps a little feed-back!

I agree!

And to add my pet gripe - Please have the courtesy to reply to those who have taken quite a lot of time to answer your questions. I know we don't have to reply, but when you are trying to help people it's good to get a simple 'thank you' or perhaps a little feed-back!

Amen. I give a lot of info on these boards because I've received a lot that has added to the quality of my travels. When I've spent time writing and don't even get a simply "thanks," I don't think board members mean to be, but that's really rude. And thanks to the OP for the comment about doing a search before asking a question.

Donna

Great post!

And, if I could add one more request. When giving advice or your experience it helps to know your age and activity level. When someone says "it's a short, easy walk" you need to know if that person is 20 or 60, a couch potato or marathon runner. :)

From someone who doesn't have a lot of experience posting questions (although I have read many, many answers), I really appreciate the advice to help me muddle through. Hopefully, now I won't annoy too many people. BTW, do you need a visa in Turkey? ;) J/K

I agree.

People should do a bit of research on their own , here or elsewhere. I get very frustrated with questions like , what is there to do in Barcelona, Rome etc., especially when the question has been asked and answered in the recent past.

How many threads do we need about looking for hotels in city when there was an exact thread the week or month before. I can understand looking to update information when the posts are older.

I agree with the above, when asking about sites , tours, etc, a bit about your interests and level of desired activity would be helpful, both to people who read the request and to the poster , to get information that they can use.

I'm sure the quantity of posts will go down and the quality will go up as soon as the boards get separated into specific countries, as mentioned in the first sticky by Laura. That alone should help us 'newbies' find what we are looking for. Every day since we decided to book Europe for next year, I've used to search function to locate those posts on page 25 that pertain to me. When the country forums show up, that info may be on Page 2!

To all you experts - thank you for your sharing and knowledge!!

I don't want to ignite a firestorm here, but here goes:

This forum is basically made up of two types of travelers – those that have been there and those that have not.

Did I miss something . . . is there a "third" type of traveler. Maybe one that traveled half-way there and then turned back.

Oh no- I think my question in here probably broke every single rule! There was a really non-specific title, I didn't give any ship or date info (well at least it's in my sig) and I didn't really do a search first since I thought it was a fairly specific question regarding my itinerary. Apologies to all of you, but thank you for helping me anyway, and at least I got the thanking part down in my post! :D

Yup, what GSPLover said.

And if I could put in one more plea: PLEASE try to title your post with something specific as well. I might pass up a post that was titled "Need help with hotels" but I would read one titled "Need hotel in Rome close to Pantheon" every time. (And reply, for the 534th time...:D)

So there are others who do not think these actual thread titles needed to be more specific:

A Little Help Please

Ahhhhhhh.....help.....please!!!!

Decisions, Decisions, A little Help Please!

Do you think...

guys..... somebody please help me

Help

help from locals please!

Help Please!

HELP! I am so confused..... :confused:

Help! Quick

Help, advice please

I need some help!

Need help please

Need some help please....

new - please help

New to all this. Help please!!!!

Ok final Poll Its down to 2 please help

Overwhelmed Newbie- Please Help!!

Please advise.

please help me decide between 4 options

Please help me decide!!!

Please help scuba girl!!!

Please help.

Some help here please!

What do you Suggest

What is your favorite?

So there are others who do not think these actual thread titles needed to be more specific:

A Little Help Please

Ahhhhhhh.....help.....please!!!!

Decisions, Decisions, A little Help Please!

Do you think...

guys..... somebody please help me

Help

help from locals please!

Help Please!

HELP! I am so confused..... :confused:

Help! Quick

Help, advice please

I need some help!

Need help please

Need some help please....

new - please help

New to all this. Help please!!!!

Ok final Poll Its down to 2 please help

Overwhelmed Newbie- Please Help!!

Please advise.

please help me decide between 4 options

Please help me decide!!!

Please help scuba girl!!!

Please help.

Some help here please!

What do you Suggest

What is your favorite?

Yes!! :D

And posters -- please do not feel like anyone is picking on you. It is really to your advantage to give as much information as you can. Otherwise you are going to get a lot of posts in response that either don't answer your question or aren't very useful.

For example: asking about a moderate hotel in Rome. Well, "moderate" can vary quite a bit between the high summer season and early Spring/late Fall when rates are lower.

This subject comes up regularly on Trip Advisor. After all how can you answer a question like "We will be in Malta for a week, so where is the best place to stay ?" - no mention when, age group, tastes, scope of holiday, budget etc etc

I agree that although CC is excellent for anyone interested or even just contemplating cruising - I think it is an excellent suggestion to go to Trip Advisor for info regarding specific destinations.

As regards people not bothering to do any research whatsoever someone recommended using www.lmgtfy.com

Yes!! :D

And posters -- please do not feel like anyone is picking on you. It is really to your advantage to give as much information as you can. Otherwise you are going to get a lot of posts in response that either don't answer your question or aren't very useful.

For example: asking about a moderate hotel in Rome. Well, "moderate" can vary quite a bit between the high summer season and early Spring/late Fall when rates are lower.

And 'moderate,' like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder!

Thanks Cathy!

Please plan my itinerary:

24 hour layover in Amsterdam

2 days in Barcelona

1 day in Malta

1 day in Naples

1 day in Rome

1 day in Florence

1 day in Cannes

1 day in Barcelona

24 hour layover in Paris

and when you're done with that, can you plan my sea days too? :D