Royal Caribbean Goes High Tech!

Has anyone noticed how high tech RCCL has gotten over the last month or so? Mr. Richard Fain launched his Oasis blog about a month ago now tonight Mr. Adam Goldstein did a live QA and it was just announced he will also be launching a blog in the upcoming weeks. I must say im impressed with how in touch RCCL is becoming with us the customers.

Chris, while I agree it's "cool" to see them jumping into the various technologies, I do think that their time and effort(s) could be better spent in getting all their call center employees on the same page via a common interface or training...I've read many instances on CC about people calling in and getting one answer for a question, and someone else getting another...or, even in some instances, the same person getting 2 different answers from 2 seperate phone calls. There should be some consistency...I think it will help eliminate a LOT of the frustration for everyone..and perhaps the same with their front line/face to face/passenger facing employees...

JMHO

Hi tech - what a joke (if i had one I would insert one of those laughing rolling around icons :D) - for such a big company their website and their ability to interrelate across departments and continents is laughable. Anyone can do gimmicks - the day to day stuff is pretty low-tech :rolleyes:

And use a digital photo setup like Disney World so they aren't printing up 1000s of photos each week that they throw away.

They do not throw the paper away. It is sent back go kodak where it is washed and re used. I think finding your pictures is fun:)

They do not throw the paper away. It is sent back go kodak where it is washed and re used. I think finding your pictures is fun:)

Is that true? I like looking for my pictures, but I also think it is fun to look at everyone elses as well - some people look HILARIOUS in formal wear.

Is that really possible :confused: And even if it is, there's still a complete waste of ink in printing out all those pictures, although I have to agree that we've spent some amusing moments looking at the photos (and since I HATE photos of myself am sure that many people have had amusing times looking at pics of me ;))

And use a digital photo setup like Disney World so they aren't printing up 1000s of photos each week that they throw away.

Actually they do at least on the IOS. Most Times on the ship you gave them your sea pass card and then went to the photo center where there are stand up computer banks. You slide the card and all of your photos are there to look at and order if you so desire.

I also think they are using face recognition software, because photos taken outside of the ship without handing them the sea pass card showed up on your computer account, along with the ones that were taken with using the sea pass card

RCI don't do any photos, they are all done by an outside comapny, and on the later ships they are using the digital set up

On the Freedom class they print out loads and you have the option to view via the Kiosk machine. I think they do it under the Kodak umbrella as mentioned in an earlier post. Which ever way you look at it the price of a print is a rip off.

I was actually thinking the same thing during my last visit to Disney World. What a great way to view your photos. I think that it can satisfy both the environmentalists as well as make a more positive impact on the bottom line.

Who knows, by not having to print as many pictures, maybe the price of the photos will come down? I know, now I am really "wishing upon a star", lol.

But, it really is a way better way to handle photos.

I like the Disney World Photo sales idea. We would NEVER have spent $100 on a few pictures that the photographers take of you once in a while, if they even catch you. We did however buy the photo CD at Disney World for $100 and got a bunch load of pictures because we actually looked for the photographers to take our pictures.

We maybe buy 2 photos at the most on our cruises, considering most of the pictures are just "okay" and they cost $10 each. Now if they charged $100 for a CD containing all of your pictures that the photographers took for your entire cruise, I would consider buying it. I know a lot of people would buy it, honeymooners, first time cruisers, family trips. It is totally worth it. In this senerio, they would have made an additional $80 off us.

Needless to say, the photographers would have to work harder, not like there are long lines to take photos. Most of the time they are trying really hard to get the guests to take the photos and most of them don't even buy them. They would generate alot more revenue selling CD's then printing pictures and hoping people buy them. Heck, they could even add the cruise in review CD along with the pics and it would make it a awesome deal. If Disney is doing it, it must work:D JMHO.

I think the photo company relys on some of the excitement generated by people looking at real pictures to increase sales.

On NICE thing I have to say about the photo company... If you buy a picture they will give you a release to print as many as you want. You'll never get that deal from Olan Mills.

Has anyone noticed how high tech RCCL has gotten over the last month or so? Mr. Richard Fain launched his Oasis blog about a month ago now tonight Mr. Adam Goldstein did a live QA and it was just announced he will also be launching a blog in the upcoming weeks. I must say im impressed with how in touch RCCL is becoming with us the customers.

Seems a little late in the game. Blogs have been around a few years. More like late tech than high tech. And how about Twitter. Princess is on Twitter.

I am unimpressed....they are not on Twitter, if the execs did a conference using skype via web cam, or project 3d images that would be WOW.

What they have is a

web site that crashes every Saturday night,

a Customer service system that can't send a blast email to all members.

Answered emails within 24 hours,

slow internet that charges 55 cents a minute very 90's,

Limited selection of tv channels,

incorrect set sail pass

RCCL crew member with cellphones that are accessible for passengers ( we had a loyalty ambassador missing in action a whole TA cruise).

the inability to correct charges without a major hassle on the last day of the cruise

So I am not impressed, I am surprised a 15 year old is impressed with technology that is old hat.

Archived