Hotels in Southampton or Portsmouth

RMVET

We would like to stay in the Southampton the night before sailing on the QM2. Can anyone recommend a comfortable but affordable hotel in either Southampton or Portsmouth. Thanks.

We also stayed at the Novotel in Southampton on our last trip. It was reasonable, rooms an OK size for a European hotel, and we could see the funnels of the ships from our room! They also arranged for a taxi for us which arrived on time, and it was a very quick ride to the ship. We will stay there again.

Enjoy your trip!

Lesley

Accor Hotels has the following chain properties all on the same cul de sac.

Etap, Ibis and Novotel.

From $ to $$$.

I normally stay at the Novotel.

The rooms at the Etap look awful. The shower and washing facilites are in the bedroom. :eek: I wouldn't stay there if it was free.

Click on virtual tour here:

http://www.etaphotel.com/gb/discovering-etap-hotel/hotel-room.shtml

The rooms at the Etap look awful. The shower and washing facilites are in the bedroom. :eek: I wouldn't stay there if it was free.

Click on virtual tour here:

http://www.etaphotel.com/gb/discovering-etap-hotel/hotel-room.shtml

Hey, if you believe the New York Times, Etap are just being very trendy!

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/travel/05headsup.html?scp=2&sq=bathroom&st=cse

Can't say I like the trend tho!

I have stayed at the Novotel twice and it's fine and offers a huge buffet breakfast. This July we are trying the Holiday Inn Southampton which is in a great location.

Hoilday inn, novatel and jurys are all good hotels, as are hilton and the de vere grand habour, have a good stay.

Oahucruiser, please give a big HI to your wonderful Island, we always stay at the turtle bay resort, wonderful place.

:)

Ater a bad experience at the De Vere I couldn't recommend them even if they were cheap, which they are not! Holiday Inn is OK and very handy for the cruise terminals.

Ater a bad experience at the De Vere I couldn't recommend them even if they were cheap, which they are not! Holiday Inn is OK and very handy for the cruise terminals.

You know, you are the 2nd person this week to stay that about de vere, I starting to wonder about it myself, Holiday inn is so near you can spit at the qm2 if she is in that dock, also handy for the get together on May 16th lol

Last October we stayed a the Holiday Inn Eastleigh which was just about ok for an overnighter.

In two weeks time we are returning to our favourite Soton hotel which is the Marriott Meon Valley.

Junior Suite for £145.

Jackie :)

Oahucruiser, please give a big HI to your wonderful Island, we always stay at the turtle bay resort, wonderful place.

I will do that, Rob. You have picked a wonderful place to stay on Oahu; we go out for weekends and love the beauty and peace.

You know, you are the 2nd person this week to stay that about de vere, I starting to wonder about it myself, Holiday inn is so near you can spit at the qm2 if she is in that dock, also handy for the get together on May 16th lol

That's why we have booked it!! I've not stayed there before, but have been pleased with others in the chain, also the Holiday Inn Express I thought very good value.

I will do that, Rob. You have picked a wonderful place to stay on Oahu; we go out for weekends and love the beauty and peace.

We have stayed there 3 times now, wow, I love the way the ocean is right there, almost in your room, and yes peaceful a millions miles away from Honalulu, you have a perfect island there, will say hi one day .:)

We booked the Highfield House Hotel in Southampton, close to the university, through lateroomsdotcom, for £49 for the two of us. Excellent hotel, comfortable room, good cooked breakfast, lovely staff. Happy to recommend it and will certainly use them again.

Also had evening meal at the very good reasonably priced mediterranean restaurant next door, Ceno's, as the hotel provides breakfast only.

Susan

• 3 weeks later...

We have booked a stay at the Ibis in Portsmouth a day or so before sailing. Anyone had any experience with that particular hotel? We liked the location but now aren't too sure.

I would recommend staying in Southampton at the Ibis,perhaps and then getting the train to Portsmouth to visit the Mary Rose and other historical sites. You are also only 20 minutes from Winchester, Then you can be in Southampton which is a little more sophisticated ( a little OK ) and you are nano seconds from the ship when you need to board

I have just booked the Ibis for my July voyage on QM2. I got a room for £45.50. It's handy for the station, close to the city centre and not too far from the docks.

Thanks for your response. Have you stayed at Ibis before? We must stop one night in Portsmouth (husband's a former Royal Marine, and he considers it home), and have booked the Ibis there. Unfortunately, TripAdvisor comments haven't been complimentary about the place, so now we are wondering if we made a wise choice.

Thanks for your response. Have you stayed at Ibis before? We must stop one night in Portsmouth (husband's a former Royal Marine, and he considers it home), and have booked the Ibis there. Unfortunately, TripAdvisor comments haven't been complimentary about the place, so now we are wondering if we made a wise choice.

I have stopped in the Ibis Southampton before, but a few years ago. For the last few years we have gone down by coach. It was nice enough last time I was there and I am hoping it still is.

Archived