Norwegian Jade vs. Navigator of the Seas

nburyan

Hello everyone!!!,

I would like some help regarding which cruise line to choose.

i have cruised before with the Norwegian gem and it was great.

the food, the shows and the activities were fantastic.

how is the navigator of the Seas in comparison with the Norwegian Jade.

Food wise (buffet and main restaurant),is it better?

and how is the overall experience in comparison with the Norwegian Jade.

I'm really considering taking the Royal Caribbean cruise, but I'm afraid

it wont meet my expectations.

The biggest difference you will notice is the lack of Freestyle cruising.

I'm not sure if NOS has the My Time Dining or not.

I can not speak for modern day NCL. However, several years ago when NCL went to Freestyle, I tried RCI and found the overall product to be substantially better.

Today, that may be different. But that being said, I highly suggest trying the NOS. The Voyager Class ships are jaw-dropping when you first see them. You will love the Royal Promenade. Also, the ice shows are not to be missed.

Give them a try. It's good to try different lines.

the only thing I'm worried about is the food,

which i found to be pretty good, overall on the gem.

There is nothing to worry about in the food category. I have never had a bad meal on RCI.

the only thing I'm worried about is the food,

which i found to be pretty good, overall on the gem.

Food is so subjective, so it would be really difficult to base your opinion on the thoughts and opinions of complete strangers. You don't know how our food tastes compare to your own. Are you an adventurous eater (as in trying new things)? I am and have discovered many new dishes that I like while cruising. Are you a plain-Jane eater? If you are, my experiences simply would not remotely translate into a review you personally should put any weight behind.

That being said, I've found very little food in the main dining rooms that was truly bad, nor have I ever gone hungry on a cruise. But I am not one who bases my enjoyment of a cruise solely on the quality, quantity, and variety of the food offerings, though I've heard that some here on CC do.

Like Carmen said, food is very subjective.

I will share my opinion based on your two choices. I found Royal Caribbean's food to be better than NCL's. On NCL, I found the MDR food to be not so good. In order to eat a good meal, I had to book the specialty restaurants, which is what they seem to want you to do on NCL.

On RCI, the specialty restaurants (Chops and Portofino) are excellent. However, the MDR food has always been good.

I too have read the RCI food complaints lately on these boards. It seems as though there has been an anti-RCI sentiment lately. Why,I don't know. I still think they are one of the best cruise lines available.

We've been on the Jade twice in the last 10 months, and believe it's very similar to Gem. We had no problems with the food at all, and appreciate the little extra touches such as the coffee maker in your cabin, the free cappuchino and icecream machines - all make a big difference to cruising life. I should consider the itinerary and price before you decide- and have you noticed the Latitude prices if you book before May 31st?-jocap.

Last year we sailed NCL Pearl, the sister ship of Jade and we have sailed Navigator of the Seas twice in four months, the latest in Appril.

Both ships are just fine. Both have good food. Nobody could go hungry on either ship. NCL does have better cinnamon buns than RCI, but I couldn't make such a statement about anything else. Hubby liked NCL's chocolate water falls in the buffet. My 33-year old son liked NCL's beer bar. That does nothing for me.

If I had to choose, I would choose Navigator. I liked the ship's decor better (that may not matter at all to others.) The Navigator has a better layout than Pearl. I liked RCI service better and the attitude better. Nav's balconies are bigger. I like Navigator's Prominade and the parades. I liked the theater shows better. The ice skating show was terrific. We went twice! The Latino band playing in Boleros was terrific. We enjoyed the Schooner Bar and the Campagne Bar on Nav.

Pearl does have two bowling alleys and Dance! Dance! Revolution and a huge screen in the atrium to show sports events and games. I STILL like Nav better.

As I said before, you probably will have a fantastic time on either ship, Jade or Navigator. I definitely prefer Navigator.

Archived