Royal Caribbean Pricing Question

I was looking at cruises for next spring, and I was wondering about the pricing. I just went on a Celebrity cruise, and I received a senior discount for the rooms I booked. When you search for a room (on the Celebrity site), it gives you the option of marking that you have people cruising in the room that are 55+, and when you search it shows the regular price and then the reduced, senior rate.

On Royal Caribbean, the searching page looks exactly the same, and it gives you the same options, but when you search, it doesn't show the senior rate and the prices are the same as if I searched just regularly.

Anyone know why? Do they not have senior discounts this far out? Or am I doing something incorrectly?

Any help would be appreciated!

When I booked my cruise last year there were no discounts. I am sailing on May 13th. In Mar I checked website and Royal was giving senior citizen and home state discounts. Since I am over 55 and live in Ohio, I received both discounts. It was a substantial savings.

When I booked my cruise last year there were no discounts. I am sailing on May 13th. In Mar I checked website and Royal was giving senior citizen and home state discounts. Since I am over 55 and live in Ohio, I received both discounts. It was a substantial savings.

Perhaps that will be the next cutback, no combining of Senior and State discounts!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

So I still might be able to get a discount for that cruise, but it might be just random? That's interesting! Oh, well. I guess that means I'll have to obsessively check.

Wait. I do that anyway!

Thanks for the help!

Well, not that it's random, but if a cruise isn't selling, or they want to adjust their passenger demographic or whatever, you may see various discounts.

Well, not that it's random, but if a cruise isn't selling, or they want to adjust their passenger demographic or whatever, you may see various discounts.

As an example of this...on our Navigator cruise in October most of the inside, OV cabins and multiple occupancy cabins sold out pretty quick (it's UK school break week) so they recently started offering a senior discount on balconies and suites.

So I still might be able to get a discount for that cruise, but it might be just random? That's interesting! Oh, well. I guess that means I'll have to obsessively check.

Wait. I do that anyway!

Thanks for the help!

You could use Cruise Shark to look for the drops. Its available at cruise shark dot net.

Perhaps that will be the next cutback, no combining of Senior and State discounts!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

:confused:

I don't quite understand... how do they combine those rates? wouldn't you just get whichever discount rate was the lowest?

In regard to senior and resident rates, Celebrity works the same as Royal Caribbean. They don't offer those rates on every sailing or on every category. When you booked the Celebrity cruise they just happened to have a senior rate on that sailing. And it's technically not a discount, it's a special rate. That way you can have a discount (like the platinum/diamond discount) on that special rate. And you can't combine the rates. If you're eligible for both rates, you choose the lowest one.

In regard to senior and resident rates, Celebrity works the same as Royal Caribbean. They don't offer those rates on every sailing or on every category. ..................

Do all the cruise-lines work the same way, i.e. offer special rates to special demographics depending upon how empty the ship is, which category and capacity rooms need to be filled and who they want to attract?

Do all the cruise-lines work the same way, i.e. offer special rates to special demographics depending upon how empty the ship is, which category and capacity rooms need to be filled and who they want to attract?

Pretty much. The revenue department is in charge of pricing and they use some pretty sophisticated tools to tell them when, which rates, and which markets will likely produce the most revenue and highest occupancy levels. Of course that's in a normal year. Lately? They could be throwing darts at a map.

I am so frusturated with Royal now. I was told I couldn't switch to a special new booking rate and keep my OBC and FCC. I understood that, so I ended up switching to the standard rate since that went down last night. I was told the standard rate was ok but not the special new booking rate. Now to be told today that since I switched categories even though not to the new booking pricing that I lost my OBC and FCC. So needless to say they switched be back to my original category. So everyone be careful because if you change categories, you will probably show up and find no OBC or FCC. Resolutions says no exceptions.

Archived