Last Minute Chance To Ask DBA Your Alaska Questions!

Hey DBA readers,

As you can see I did a BIG post this weekend, finishing up all the details of the Amsterdam 3 day as well as catching up on A LOT of Meet the Reader features. (Keep those coming by the way!)

Just a head's up to let everyone know that I will be out of town May 7-20 and will have limited (if any) access to the internet to update the blog.

HOWEVER -

Upon my return, I will be able to provide views of both the Ryndam and Statendam, some port shots around Alaska (Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway) and returns (as though I were gone for very long) to Victoria and Vancouver, BC.

So I know it's short notice, but if you would like to see any specifics around the ports in these cities, have any questions about the S Class ships that are still in the classic configuration (all but Veendam) or have any other questions... ask away. I make no promises (it is a vacation afterall) but will do my absolute best to take photos, get information, etc to meet your requests.

Only downside? You have to get them to me by a reasonable hour on Wednesday evening.

So if you're interested:

dutchbyassociation@gmail.com

and in my absence, keep your eyes peeled on the HAL Blog (www.hollandamericablog.com) as they're going to have lots of great photos and videos of the Veendam post-dry dock and much more.

I'll see you when I get back!

Cheers,

DBA

Thanks for the offer! I'm HAL'ing to Alaska for the 3rd time in August. This time with my advertursome best friend who is trying to talk me into the Bear Creek Zipline in Ketchekin. If you happen to see it, I'd like a guarantee that it's not going to freak me out...just kidding, the info says they take 6 year olds so I'm sure it's fairly tame but I haven't had much luck in finding any reviews from folks who have been up close and personal with this location. Most importantly, have a great vacation and thanks for all your efforts to keep us up to date on HAL!

Have a wonderful time!

My requests are for 1) menus and 2) the schedule for when the formal nights and master chef nights and salmon bar-b-que take place. Oh, yes, and info on how the snow is melting- we are planning on hiking in all of the ports on our June 7th sailing.

Thanks!

Corie

Thanks for the offer! I'm HAL'ing to Alaska for the 3rd time in August. This time with my advertursome best friend who is trying to talk me into the Bear Creek Zipline in Ketchekin. If you happen to see it, I'd like a guarantee that it's not going to freak me out...just kidding, the info says they take 6 year olds so I'm sure it's fairly tame but I haven't had much luck in finding any reviews from folks who have been up close and personal with this location. Most importantly, have a great vacation and thanks for all your efforts to keep us up to date on HAL!

Thanks for the feedback about the blog.

I'm not a huge fan of ziplines myself, but if they take 6 year olds, I suspect you'll be fine... I suspect *I* would be fine if that's the case :)

Thanks, Dutch, I will make sure to check out your blog when you get back. I got such a good price on an obstructed view HH category cabin on a b2b itinerary Vancouver-Seward-Vancouver, that I bit the bullet and will be on the Ryndam the second half of July. So I'm gratefully anticipating your Alaska travelog.:)

Alas, you won't get back until after I leave. But enjoy! I'll wave as we drive through Seattle!

Actually, I'll be in Seattle Sun-Wed (next week), too :D

DBA,

We will be on the first of the season curise of the Volendam on 5/20. Do you know if the menus will be similar to the Westerdam Alaska last year? That's the only menu from Alaska 2008 I have. I would love to know the menus and which nights are formal.

Thanks so much!

I would like to know what nights are Formal Nights on the STATENDAM northbound. Plus, if possible, I would like to know what is on the menus for the main dining room. We're traveling with our sons age 9 & 11 yrs and they can be some picky eaters at times .

Thanks and enjoy your trip !!!!!

Thanks, DBA! I will be on the June 7th sailing on the Veendam. :)

Not everything is finalized yet, however the Culinary Operations Manager could tell me the following when I had to contact her regarding another matter anyway:

Formal Nights will likely be June 8 and 12, but can be subject to change. Master Chef's dinner IS ON THE 13th. That was given as a definite.

Menus aren't for certain yet and very difficult to transmit the way they are formatted for the ships, but expect lots of salmon (there was a press release recently that stated I believe that over a 7 day cruise there will be salmon over 50 different ways onboard throughout the various venues)

Salmon BBQ, I would imagine is partially dependent on weather, but not anchored to any specific date.

So I couldn't get ALL your questions, but you definitely know more than you did! :cool:

Bon Voyage!

DBA,

We will be on the first of the season curise of the Volendam on 5/20. Do you know if the menus will be similar to the Westerdam Alaska last year? That's the only menu from Alaska 2008 I have. I would love to know the menus and which nights are formal.

Thanks so much!

Menus will be similar, but it appears there is a night where almost the entire menu is Alaska themed. And A LOT more salmon options (music to MY ears :D)

See my reply above to another reader regarding some more specifics. For the majority of cases, this will be the general rule of thumb for Alaska cruises... disregard the aspects that address that she has a 4 day cruise with a land tour, unless you are doing the same.

DBA

Hello - I asked this last week and I think stumped the Alaska board.

The Zaandam (Seattle June 26) is taking a day for cruising Tracy Arm, listing it as 7 AM - 4 PM. This seems like a long time when compared with a 4 hour window that most other ships grant. Do you have any info on this? Does this mean - "just at some point in that window" or do you get a good 6+ hours in the fjord?

thanks

thomas

Dutch,

We are sailing on both the Ryndam (June 19) and the Statendam (June 28). We would like to know the nights for the Master Chef's Dinner since we plan to eat in the Pinnacle that evening. It would great to know ahead of time. Thanks in advance.

Would ove to know what the formal nights are as well as when they will be doing the renewal of Vows Cerimonn, Our 25th anniversary is May 19th and would love it if the renewal cerimony will be on the 19th when we are in Glacier Bay.

Not everything is finalized yet, however the Culinary Operations Manager could tell me the following when I had to contact her regarding another matter anyway:

Formal Nights will likely be June 8 and 12, but can be subject to change. Master Chef's dinner IS ON THE 13th. That was given as a definite.

Menus aren't for certain yet and very difficult to transmit the way they are formatted for the ships, but expect lots of salmon (there was a press release recently that stated I believe that over a 7 day cruise there will be salmon over 50 different ways onboard throughout the various venues)

Salmon BBQ, I would imagine is partially dependent on weather, but not anchored to any specific date.

So I couldn't get ALL your questions, but you definitely know more than you did! :cool:

Bon Voyage!

Thank you very much! And have a wonderful trip!!! :D

Plus, if possible, I would like to know what is on the menus for the main dining room. We're traveling with our sons age 9 & 11 yrs and they can be some picky eaters at times .

Don't forget that there's a childrens' menu in the dining room. It has such delicious offerings as chicken fingers and fries, fish sticks, hot dog, spaghetti and meatball, peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

I can personally recommend the fingers and fries. Delish! :D

Hey Dutch,

We're on cruisetour 18, departing Fairbanks may 23. On the Ryndam we have stateroom S026. Someone in the booking department at HAL told me there were 2 TVs in that stateroom. Truth?

First cruise for me so I have many silly questions...

Hey Dutch,

We're on cruisetour 18, departing Fairbanks may 23. On the Ryndam we have stateroom S026. Someone in the booking department at HAL told me there were 2 TVs in that stateroom. Truth?

First cruise for me so I have many silly questions...

I hope you don't mind me jumping in, but looking at the specs for the Ryndam, you are in a Deluxe Verandah suite, and according to the description and picture, it only has one TV.

Here is the link to the stateroom specs for the Ryndam:

(click on "deluxe verandah suite")

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Ryndam

DBA, do you know if we could arrive at pier 91 for our cruise about 10:00 am to try and meet with passengers who are disembarking?

Diane

Hi Diane,

With as new as the pier is, I'm not sure that you would necessarily be allowed in quite that early. I know embarkation usually begins around 11:30. Unfortunately, I couldn't say for sure regarding this. Sorry!

If you live in the area, you might want to go down the next day where a HAL ship is in port, if that's possible before your cruise, and I'm sure they would be happy to help and provide that sort of specific shore operations related material upon request.

Archived