what to pack for first time baltic cruiser

Good advice on dressing for the ports, but what about on the ship? Do we need to "dress" for dinner? My husband objects to taking dressier clothes on vacation. Is it really necessary to have a suit or sports jacket? Would a nice sweater do just as well?

No, you don't need to dress up. The dress code is applied in the Main Dining Room. Buffet is ALWAYS casual so you can opt to eat there everyday or just on formal nights.

The ships have air conditioning so it might be a bit chilly there as well :)

Thanks - we'll be on Norwegian Sun.

Then your DH is in luck...NCL is among the most casual cruise lines. there are no true formal nights...instead they have "dress up or not night". In my experience, some people dress up, but most do not. The photographers are out in force on dress up or not nights, so if you want to pose for pictures, bring clothes that will be pleasing in pics.

In some NCL dining rooms, shorts and jeans are not allowed in the evenings, but khakis, polo shirts, capris, sweaters and such are welcome. Shorts and jeans MAY be allowed in one of the dining rooms (or not...seems to vary a bit by ship) and certainly shorts and jeans are fine in the buffet and bars.

My DH loves NCL's dress code...I think yours will, too.

Most cruise lines are much more 'relaxed' these days when it comes to formal nights. ALL cruise ships do a formal night. If, for nothing else, than for photographs, but you just see more and more cruises not doing the formal thing. a few years ago, NCL had one dining room for formal and the other for casual, now as long as you dress presentably, you are allowed into any dining room on ANY night.

I gave up bringing a suit and tie many years ago. We are still in the 'old fashioned' way in that we try and dress for dinner the way we would going out to a fancy restaurant at home, but clothes we will be comfortable in.

Every destination is a bit different. In Alaska, flannel is a good way to go, in Hawaii, everyone wears those loud Hawaiian shirts that one would not wear anywhere else, and in the Caribbean, several cruise lines let you go to dinner in shorts. The rules have relaxed as the cruise lines just need to appeal to more and more people.

Cheers

Len

you all mention comfortable walking shoes - can you give me some ideas. We live at the beach in SC so I mainly where sandals and flip flops and have a pair of sneakers. What type of walking shoes would be good for baltic. We are going May 2013

I just bought Clark's wave....great walking shoes, wore them all day at work today, we don't cruise until August...should be prefect by then for all day tours...Also a really good pair of merrill sandels if it's warm out. A great pair of sneakers rounds out what I'm bring for walking around.

You want to look for a sole that is not smooth to walk over all of the cobblestone streets, this prevents slipping. I bought a pair of Ecco charm shoes. They are leather, sort of like a sneaker and give lots of support and cushioning. I wore them through the Med. on one cruise and then the Baltics on another, and they still are going strong. Merrell is another brand that has different styles with the bumpy bottom. (There is a name for that kind of sole, but I can't remember it. lol)

you all mention comfortable walking shoes - can you give me some ideas. We live at the beach in SC so I mainly where sandals and flip flops and have a pair of sneakers. What type of walking shoes would be good for baltic. We are going May 2013

You sound/look familiar. i think i crossed paths with you on another forum? Did you travel on the Ruby Princess last October?

Anyway, i am looking for tips on excursions in St. Petersburg. I am gling by myself May 14, 2012 - one week! If you can help, it would be appreciated.

Flip-flops and sandals don't sound that good given the various steps, hills, conditions in Europe, etc. I like the "support" with running shoes, plus their "wrap-around" protection to your feet, etc. Don't worry about that "oh, they look like running shoes" comment some might think. Who cares? It's not a fashion show!! Go from maximum support, security, etc. You'll be on your feet lots and lots, dealing with challenging conditions and crowds, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 78,514 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 68,546 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Archived