Do I need to bring an iron???

naomee15

Anybody know if they supply an iron? We will be traveling on Amtrak from NY and will have clothes that I will need to iron..... Should I bring a small travel one? thanx guys.........

Irons are considered fire hazards aboard a ship. You are welcomed to use the ship's laundry's pressing service. I believe its a dollar per item, and the item returns folded nicely.

You might wish to watch the video in my signature below how to pack your clothes in bundles, avoiding wrinkles. Its very interesting.....

You can request an iron and board from your room steward. There are specific hours that they are allowed to be in the passengers cabin, but your room steward can let you know of the restrictions.

I requested them 2x on the Pearl in Feb. and it was never a problem. They left them when they cleaned in the morning and took them away when they did turn down in the evening. Worked well for me.

:confused: Ok, I just have to ask this after reading these threads for years now.

Don't people iron before they pack? And then pack carefully. That's what I do and my clothes come out wrinkle free.

I can't imagine wanting to iron on vacation.

Also, what do you iron on? We usually book a balcony cabin. Do you iron on the bed? On that little table?:confused:

I'm confused. - LOL:)

Huh? I normally bring a travel iron. If I don't, I use an NCL loaner.

Why is this any more of a hazard on a ship than a creaky old hotel, or at home for that matter?

Irons are considered fire hazards aboard a ship. You are welcomed to use the ship's laundry's pressing service. I believe its a dollar per item, and the item returns folded nicely.

Why is this any more of a hazard on a ship than a creaky old hotel, or at home for that matter?

My understand is that irons (even travel irons) draw a lot of current. And that the electrical system in cruise ships are not built to handle all that current. The laundry rooms are specially configured to handle the extra power surge.]]

:confused: Ok, I just have to ask this after reading these threads for years now.

Don't people iron before they pack? And then pack carefully. That's what I do and my clothes come out wrinkle free.

Also, what do you iron on? We usually book a balcony cabin. Do you iron on the bed? On that little table?:confused:

Thanks for reminding me, we are leaving on Jewel tomorrow and we WILL take a full size ironing board.

Ah, duh! I didn't think of that. Thanks.

Evidently the NCL ships can handle the current because they'll freely loan out irons. There's also a hair dryer in the cabin which must draw about the same amount of current--1000 watts or so.

My understand is that irons (even travel irons) draw a lot of current. And that the electrical system in cruise ships are not built to handle all that current. The laundry rooms are specially configured to handle the extra power surge.]]

I rarely iron at home. You won't catch me ironing on vacation! If something does get badly wrinkled --my husband had a shirt that was part of a costume he was wearing on a land excursion -- the ship's crew took it away and returned it nicely done.

Nobody on ship knows me...nobody cares that I have a wrinkle where it isn't supposed to be. And if they do, *I* don't care! :p

A fire on a cruise boat could be catastrophic. Unlike a land based hotel, you are miles and miles from help, with nowhere to evacuate to but the water:eek:

We usually pack a travel iron and an ironing board. :D

Just call housekeeping and they'll bring you an iron and ironing board.

The reason you shouldn't bring your own iron is because the electrical grounding requirements for a ship are much more complicated than for a home.

In a normal house on land, the problem of grounding is simple. It consists of the grounding wire in the AC wiring system and serves the purpose of preventing shocks or electrocution. On a ship, things are considerably more complicated. In addition to the AC ground, a DC ground or return line, a lightning ground, and a RF ground plane are required. The irons provided on the ship are specifically modified to address this issue.

Irons on vacation~?! Never! I pack an empty spray bottle, one of those plant-mister types from the dollar store onboard. Filled with water, I spritz any shirt that gets hung up as I unpack. The inevitable creases fall out by the time I want to wear it.

At home, I spray cottons, linens and other wrinkled items liberally with water fresh out of the dryer before I hang them up. A couple of tugs nudge even wadded pocket flaps into shape easily, and again , they dry flat and smooth.

The spray bottle also works wonders on my windblown curls (they like humidity), smudges, and a lot of other small jobs.

Ironing is a chore, and chores are are not for vacations!

You have obviously learned something. The electrical system on a ship is totally different than a commercial building &/or home. If people would read the cruiseline's FAQ's etc on the website, it would amaze them what the rules actually are.

Ok, I just have to ask this after reading these threads for years now.

Who irons before they go? Or maybe what I should say, who irons much at all anymore? Certainly some things wrinkle worse than others so I select my attire based on whether or not they travel well or not.

I have been on 3 NCL cruises (Dawn, Spirit & Jade) also HAL Rotterdam and Noordam. I have brought my travel Iron everytime - I have never hid it and I have never had a problem. I usually use the little desk area in the stateroom with a towel and usually things just need a touch up. Just because you are cruising "freestyle" you don't have to look like a wrinkled mess (as some folks do). If you are smart enough to unplug and hair dryer, curler iron etc. etc. You should have no problem with a travel iron. Enjoy your cruise - some of the folks you would never think of taking a iron on board have absolutely no problem smuggling on liquor.. Don't be hypocritical just be smart. Enjoy your trip:)

Why?

If you have a fire in a hotel, you can walk out to the street. Fire trucks can come and rescue you. If you have a fire on a ship, you can not leave.

Ships rock and roll, irons fall over. In a hotel, they are much more stable.

Fire is a very scary thing on a ship.

Archived