how much carry on soda?

sloth

I have read here that usually on a Princess cruise, it's not a problem to carry on a "reasonable amount" of soda. Not doing this to avoid buying the soda card...just not Coke drinkers at all! Is it "reasonable" to try to bring a 24 pack of Diet Pepsi and a 24 pack of regular Pepsi? ( I know that sounds like ALOT,:eek: but this is a 14 day cruise.) Or better to bring a lesser amount and try to buy more at one of our port stops? Would there be a problem bringing Pepsi back on the ship from a Caribbean port? Also, has anyone just put a luggage tag on the soda carton (not try to pack it or disguise it) and had it arrive safely at your stateroom with the rest of your luggage?

Thanks!

Cindy

Our soft sided cooler holds 18. I make sure there is some bubble wrap in there to keep the cans from moving around. I put a luggage tag on it and send it on with my checked luggage. No problems. Yes you can bring more on from the ports as well.

Depending on the length of the cruise, we'll bring aboard one or two 12-packs of soda. We pack them in a cardboard box along with some wine and check it along with our luggage.

We've never had a problem doing it with way. We'd prefer not having to look for a place to buy soda while in port.

Lew

When we did a two week cruise, we took along 3 12-packs! But I checked them in a suitcase (2 in one suitcase, 1 in another). I used some 12-pack cushioned cooler bags in the suitcases and had absolutely no problems...they were delivered to our room! That way you have an extra bag to bring home sovenirs in too! Have a great cruise! :D

We put three 8 packs of Pepsi in our luggage (enough room and gave us room for souvenirs) and carried on 2 more in a re-usable grocery store bag. No questions/issues.

I was fine for our trip (a few weeks), but my husband ran out part way through. It became an adventure to find Pepsi (Europe), but we were able to find it (reasonably priced too). There were no issues bringing it onboard in port either.

For our 14 day Canal cruise, we had two 12 packs of Diet Pepsi (me), a 6 pack of Pepsi (wife), one 64 oz bottle of V-8 (wife), and a 12 pack of water (us) spread between two cloth WalMart carry bags, no problems, just ran it thru the scanners and hoofed it on board. We can't handle any Coke products at all. I just sling on the photo backpack and carry the two bags (evenly weighted) right thru to the cabin. Wife handles all the paperwork, I'm just the mule.

Now, how I get the booze onboard is a secret.

Buster

On our cruise in February on the Sapphire, we had two 24 packs, one of diet coke and one of sprite (there were four of us). We just put the labels on them, left them with our luggage and they were delivered within the hour. This is the second time we've been able to do this. However, I've heard that this is the exception and not the norm.

(48 Cans for 14 days????)

Guilty as charged...that does sound like alot I guess! But DH would rather have an ice cold Pepsi in the morning instead of coffee. And as I said, Coke just doesn't cut it for us...no offense to the CocaCola lovers out there. Last cruise we were thrilled to see some Pepsi in Cartegena at the shops near the terminal, bought a few, and it tasted like bleach! :eek: So I'd like to bring some on board if it won't cause any trouble.

Thanks for the tips! Maybe if I pack less (BIG maybe) and leave room for a few 12-packs...

Cindy

To the OP ... I have found that diet pepsi bought in some ports tastes differently from what we are used to. For that matter, I think the diet pepsi here (Montreal) didn't taste the same as the stuff I bought in Fort Lauderdale last month.

Also, buying in some ports can be more expensive too. We paid $7 for a 6-pack at the St. Thomas supermarket near where we docked.

The last princess cruise we took we bought a 36 pack of Diet Pepsi near our hotel. I stuck one of our extra luggage tags on it and left it with the porters with our suitcases. Came to the room no problem at all!!!! The

porters were happy to help us.

I have seen people do the same thing with cases of water.

The last two cruises, we packed a large plastic crate with our bottles (Pepsi products, etc.). Pasted a luggage tag on, and the porter took it with a tip. No problem. It even fit under the bed.

You may want to plan for a little more than needed, just in case you miss a port. We had that happen on our last cruise, in our last Hawaiian port, so I ran out of my Mountain Dew with sea days to go.

I use the plastic bottles as I find the cans give the soda a metallic taste.

Have sailed with Princess twice and have taken carbonated drinks onboard in luggage. We then top up when we are in port Security can see clearly what we have as they are in carrier bags but never a problem.

Diet pepsi in Europe definitely taste differently.

In the Caribbean I hadn't noticed a taste difference.

For the Caribbean cruises I haven't noticed a taste difference.

I usually bring enough 4 or 5 upon embarkation and then restock at the various ports. Haven't had a big issue in finding it on the various islands.

For our 14 day Canal cruise, we had two 12 packs of Diet Pepsi (me), a 6 pack of Pepsi (wife), one 64 oz bottle of V-8 (wife), and a 12 pack of water (us) spread between two cloth WalMart carry bags, no problems, just ran it thru the scanners and hoofed it on board. We can't handle any Coke products at all. I just sling on the photo backpack and carry the two bags (evenly weighted) right thru to the cabin. Wife handles all the paperwork, I'm just the mule.

Now, how I get the booze onboard is a secret.

Buster

Hey, you sound like my DH! He likens himself to a pack mule too, but he would rather do that than the planning. Our "deal" is that he makes the money and I find ways to spend it - just joking. Anyway we're Diet Pepsi and Mtn Dew drinkers. We use a rolling duffle as one of our carry on's and then fill it w/ soda's (maybe even a little beer) - going home it holds dirty clothes so we have room for stuff we just couldn't live w/out - ha!.

You may want to plan for a little more than needed' date=' just in case you miss a port. We had that happen on our last cruise, in our last Hawaiian port, so I ran out of my Mountain Dew with sea days to go.[/quote']

I feel your pain - our first cruise we had my 11 and 13 yr olds DSD's along. Yeah, it WAS my idea - the 13 yr old was a royal pain in the patooty, but that is what 13 yr old's do, eh? But, I digress...I didn't know enough to think of taking pop on board and they had NO Mtn Dew, couldn't find any in any of the ports and I was seriously suffering withdrawals - long story short I gave the 13 yr old a run for her money, ha! :D She's 31 now and we both have improved!

When we got back to Miami the first stop we made was to get step-mommy dearest some Mtn Dew. :p And two 12 packs for 14 days is probably not enough :), if more than one person is drinking it. I love to relax on the balcony and read, and there is nothing like an ice cold Mtn Dew on a hot sultry day/evening. IMHO!!!

I have been drinking club soda with a lime and for a hot drink tea instead of the horrible coffee while onboard. Both free.

I take along a French Press sometimes. Starbucks is available just about anyplace a Princess ship can dock.

Cheers, Ralph

Archived