What London Walks would you recommend

for a first time visitor?

We will be in London for four days. I went on the London walks website and many of the walks sound similiar. For those who have toured with the company what walks did you like?

I don't think you would go wrong no matter which one you choose -- I have done several over the years (first ones in 1984 -last ones in 2004) and totally enjoyed all of them. I can't remember specific names of the tours - sorry:o (and they do change some of the tours each year) - but in each case, the guide was thoroughly knowledgeable about the subject. Many of the guides are actors and they do put on a show. Just find one with a subject that interests you and show up at the appropriate tube stop!

Any of the Jack the Ripper walks are great fun. Particular in the evenings. I used the http://www.walks.com company. The Jack the Ripper guides are so knowledgeable and really enjoy acting the role too.

I second doing the Jack the Ripper walk - but I would book it with Donald Rumbelow if possible: http://www.walks.com/Homepage/Jack_the_Ripper/default.aspx

• 3 weeks later...

We did a spy walk a few years ago and one of old Jewish London. Both were great! Be prepared to walk fast and long. If you have trouble walking at a good pace for extended time, consider something else.

Bobbie

We've done the Greenwich, Mayfair, Lond City and a pub walk. All by London Walks. Had a great time on all. Very qualified guides and a great way to take a slow approach and get to know a neighbourhood. If the walk starts at a busy tube station, give your self some spare time to scout out the exits to find the guide. We missed one walk by cutting it too close.

Jack The Ripper is deservedly the most popular. I also recommend the British Museum walk. The museum is huge. Having a learned guide is almost essential for a first visit. Ours was a retired college history professor. Her qualifications are not uncommon for the LW guides.

The walks are similar only in the quality of the guides. They are varied as to interest and location, and very reasonable priced. Cheap, actually, factoring in the guide's credentials.

You might also consider their "Explorer" trips if there's a day trip you're interested in. The posted rate includes a discounted train fare. The base rate is only 12GBP.

We recently did an Explorer Day with London Walks to Oxford and two villages in the Cotswalds. Thoroughly enjoyed the tour. They do this tour each Wednesday and meet at Paddington station. Price is very reasonable. It was a nice midweek break while staying in busy London for one week.

We recently did an Explorer Day with London Walks to Oxford and two villages in the Cotswalds. Thoroughly enjoyed the tour. They do this tour each Wednesday and meet at Paddington station. Price is very reasonable. It was a nice midweek break while staying in busy London for one week.

I'm planning on that tour for my visit this summer, also one week precruise.

About what time did you return?

Not sure when you are travelling but I'll be doing the Shakespeare and Dickens London walk in mid July and will happily report back on that!

We've done only one walk and cannot compare it to others. However, if you like historic places and the writings of Dickens, you should consider this one. The little lady who conducted the tour was full of details and anecdotes about his life.

For some more information about this particular walk have a look at http://www.*****.com/london.htm

Are you, by any chance, Diane's Mom??

LOL

Sorry, I just couldn't resisit.

Nope.... but she does discuss her walks on a London radio station.... it's interesting how as a resident I just don't do the tourist things though.... maybe this summer I will!!

Archived