Yes, another question about tipping... :-)

I've read and read these boards and I'm trying to sort through all of the arguments about tipping to figure out REALLY who I need to *plan* on tipping and how many singles I should plan to bring. I wouldn't even think of removing the auto-tip...I'm talking above the auto-tip or for those that aren't included.

Room service? We plan to have breakfast delivered most mornings...

Cabin steward? Each day? At the end of the week? At all??

Waiter at dinner? We have anytime dining - so a different waiter each night...?

I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking about...can someone just give me a general idea of who you tip and who you don't? I know it's different for everyone...just generally.

If there is already a thread about this, can someone just point me to it?

Thanks!!

I've read and read these boards and I'm trying to sort through all of the arguments about tipping to figure out REALLY who I need to *plan* on tipping and how many singles I should plan to bring. I wouldn't even think of removing the auto-tip...I'm talking above the auto-tip or for those that aren't included.

I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking about...can someone just give me a general idea of who you tip and who you don't? I know it's different for everyone...just generally.

Thanks!!

IF you plan to tip above and beyond the auto tip (notice the IF word so maybe this won't turn into another 'WAR' about tipping thread :))

Room service would be 'as delivered' since you may not have the same staff deliver each time. We tip anywhere between $2 and up depending what is delivered.

The rest, such as waiter and room steward, I would suggest tipping above and beyond IF you receive exceptional service during your cruise, towards the end of your cruise. This amount would be totally up to you and if anything extra special was done for you during your cruise. ;)

Good Luck, I hope this thead stays with the subject matter "how and where you tip extra" instead of going off the deep end like they many times do. ;)

Room service - $1 or $2 per meal delivered.

Cabin Steward & waiters are covered by the auto tip. If you give more, I would tip the cabin steward at the end. With Anytime Dining, any extra for the waiter would be given the night you were served, unless you make a reservation to be served by the same waiter every night. Then you can tip at the end.

Tour guides and bus drivers for excursion would also appreciate a few dollars.

IF you plan to tip above and beyond the auto tip (notice the IF word so maybe this won't turn into another 'WAR' about tipping thread :))

Room service would be 'as delivered' since you may not have the same staff deliver each time. We tip anywhere between $2 and up depending what is delivered.

The rest, such as waiter and room steward, I would suggest tipping above and beyond IF you receive exceptional service during your cruise, towards the end of your cruise. This amount would be totally up to you and if anything extra special was done for you during your cruise. ;)

Good Luck, I hope this thead stays with the subject matter "how and where you tip extra" instead of going off the deep end like they many times do. ;)

Good answers... Perhaps the Host should lock it before the war starts.. :D:D

Thanks!!

Room Service: Each time it's used, maybe a couple of $'s each time.

Cabin Steward: One off at the end of the cruise. Others may say at the begining but we've done that once and service went very downhill from there.

Dinner Waiter: End of the cruise if you've found a waiter you like and stuck with him or if you've had a different table & waiter each night then maybe not at all as it's included in your auto-tip.

Others you may include could be the waiter in the speciality restaurants, if used. Some people tip the bartender & drinks waiters but there's already a 15% tip included.

I agree with Toto. For Anytime dining - rather than carrying wads of cash, simply make sure to note the restaurant name, server's name and country for those who provided exceptional service. Then later on if you haven't been able to switch by requesting seating in their section, you are able to identify them on the envelope at the end of the cruise, ensuring the gratuity gets to them (via Maitre'D if needed). This also goes a long way when adding a "You Made a Difference" card (available from Pursor's desk) to document that exceptional service.

If you have kids using the kids' program, then put some cash into a tip program and give to them the last night (see if you can get your child to write a note of thanks, too). (see, I added something not mentioned so far)

If a crew member puts in extra effort, consider getting a "made a difference" card to fill out from the passenger services desk. You will need at least the first name and area of work (maybe also country) for the worker.

You should also plan to have some bills for the porter helping you before and after the cruise.

Do we tip the person who delivers the bags to our room? If so, how much?

The tipping thing is a minefield for us non-Americans. I *so* don't want to get it wrong and offend or hurt somebody.

Most likely you won't ever see the person who delivers your bags. Somehow they always appear while we're either looking around the ship, getting something to eat or during muster. If you find them inside your cabin, your own steward would have placed them there. Otherwise they will be in the corridor outside your door.

Do we tip the person who delivers the bags to our room? If so, how much?

The tipping thing is a minefield for us non-Americans. I *so* don't want to get it wrong and offend or hurt somebody.

If you do see it arrive then by all means tip that person. However, the chances are that you won't.

You could find it outside your door when you reach your room or as is usual, one will arrive almost immediately and the other will arrive a few hours later when you're at the sailaway party.

All wait staff and cabin staff are covered by auto tips which accumulate daily onto your shipboard account. So, you need not cash for the buffets, restaurants, room service or cabin steward.

You are, of course, welcome to visit the purser to add to the automatic tip or you can give cash to any employee you choose. In some cases, it makes the most sense to give cash when you receive the service (examples would be for good service in a specialty restaurant; efficient laundry delivery; well-presented, timely meal in your room; one-time special requests, etc) and in others it makes more sense to wait until the end of the cruise (ex: consistently good service from a particular employee in children's programs, restaurant, bars or in your cabin)...do whatever works.

I think this might be a new record - so far so good! On topic and no arguing! It's amazing! :D

Those are exactly the answers I was looking for! I, like another poster, just don't want to get it wrong and offend anyone! It's just a whole different kind of vacation - and after this first one - I hopefully won't have so many questions! :-)

Thanks so much for your help everyone!

We always leave the auto-tipping on. We tip a couple-three bucks (cash)for room service bringing chips and stuff for our evening wine libation. We tip our room steward $20-$30 using the plain envelopes provided. (We find them at the customer service desk on the last night.) Inside we put a note of thanks and a business card to show his boss.

At the start of the cruise we give our steward a bag of goodies representative of "where we live." Just a friendly gesture since we always inquire of them about their places of origin. No, it doesn't mean they'll wait on you hand an foot and it isn't intended as a "bribe."

Thanks!!

I always throw my room steward a few extra bucks and ask for few things to be done like maybe some more hangers or make sure the ice bucket is filled

We will always find that one bar waiter by the pool that takes care of you everyday and throw him a few extra bucks as well.

Room Service is a must because it's the right thing to do.

If you feel the waiter in the main dinning room is worthy of a few bucks by all means do it.

You'll know which one deserve it or don't

Boy, I am an American an my head is spinning....I really feel for you non-natives!!

I like how the FAQ says the auto-tipping will "save you the worry of who to tip and how much" but it really doesn't.

http://www.princess.com/customer_care/faqs/onboard_experience/index.jsp

If someone goes REALLY out of their way for me, if I get room service, if I go to the spa, sit at a dealer's table all night, or if I sit at the bar all day, I would probably give a little extra. Other than that, if I use the auto charge (haven't decided yet), I will follow the rules they have clearly laid out and not over tip.

I read on a travel blog a long time ago to always travel with $100 in singles. That was great advise. Since then I have added $100 in $5 bills to my "travel bag". I use an old banking bag with a zipper on top for this small bill money. I never have to worry about anyone (taxi, beverage counter, whatever) having change. I don't stand with an open wallet for small purchases...just grab the singles out of my travel $$ bag.

I always keep the travel bag in my drawer at home to add to between trips. It is amazing how quickly it adds up!

I never turn off the auto tip. I do have those couple of singles pushed into a pocket so I can leave them around for excellent attention. I know these men and women work hard for their money. A few dollars don't mean much to my life, but they could to them.

Tipping is part of the cost of the trip. If someone can't afford it, they haven't saved enough for that vacation yet. Scale down somewhere, but tipping is a part of the cost like transportation.

I leave $3 each day in my cabin for the room steward (and in hotels). I don't remember why I came up with that number, but it seems to work for me.

I understand that tipping is part of cruising and we absolutely expect to pay.We were relieved to see that the tipping is taken care of automatically,.I really dont understand why everyone is giving over and above unless the service was really excepional rather than just doing their job well-please don't everybody shout at me!

I understand that tipping is part of cruising and we absolutely expect to pay.We were relieved to see that the tipping is taken care of automatically,.I really dont understand why everyone is giving over and above unless the service was really excepional rather than just doing their job well-please don't everybody shout at me!

Working as a waitress I met some very kind customers whose 'over tipping' meant I had a decent meal....so now I'm passing it on. I will always budget a bit extra to give to someone knowing I don't have to. Many people and organizations give without rhyme or reason. Tipping/giving extra is just one opportunity to give $1 that chances are will mean more to someone else. You will see the same behavior at many all inclusive resorts where tipping is not required and even forbidden. Yes, I support local charities :-)

Archived