Can you still cancel a cruise that is in August?

Gingee

My daughter says she just broke up with her boyfriend (of course that can change). They had booked a cruise together with another couple (against my choice but she is an adult). Anyway she did not purchase cruise insurance (not that this would cover it) but can they still cancel their trip? It is August 10th. They have paid in full.

My daughter says she just broke up with her boyfriend (of course that can change). They had booked a cruise together with another couple (against my choice but she is an adult). Anyway she did not purchase cruise insurance (not that this would cover it) but can they still cancel their trip? It is August 10th. They have paid in full.

most cruise line penalties for cancellation kick in at 65 to 75 days call the cruise line now and find out!

If they already have paid in full, I would be curious as to whether the monies were paid to a travel agent rather than to the cruiseline. If to the T/A, refunding could take longer than thru the cruiseline. Further, I think some lines offer a reduced rate for passengers who make full early payments, sometimes those monies are fully non-refundable.

She needs to call the T/A, if they used one, or the cruiseline, if they did not, and see what refund opportunities exist.

• Administrators
They booked through a on-line 90 days in advance place.

Still not enough information. :( It sounds as if that's a TA, so they need to contact the TA as soon as possible to find out the cancellation terms to which they agreed (if they can't find the contract to which they agreed at booking).

Call the cruiseline! They'll tell her what the penalty is, and if she doesn't want to pay it, then she can go out and find a new friend to travel with her.

She booked with an e-agency ... so she has to work it out with them. The cruiseline will not talk to her. There may be an agency cancel/admin fee as well as a cruiseline penalty, depending on the terms of the cruise fare she purchased. Some lines sell ultra-low fully non-refundable fares. And, should she decide to take a replacement companion, the T/A will tell her the fees involved to make that change.

If they are before the date the final payment was ACTUALLY due then they can cancel with no penalty

The OP already said they've paid in full.

She needs to call the cruise line and find out the penalties for canceling after final payment. She will probably lose 25% of the cost of the cruise. Her best bet will be to find someone to go with and still enjoy the cruise.

Isn't there a extra charge to switch persons in the cabin?

I believe it is $50 on RCI.

If there have been plane tickets purchased, those cannot be switched to another person. They can be rebooked for a fee.

She needs to call the cruise line and find out the penalties for canceling after final payment. She will probably lose 25% of the cost of the cruise. Her best bet will be to find someone to go with and still enjoy the cruise.

But I think the point was that some people pay in full before the actual final payment date. Sometimes they just want it out of their hair; sometimes TAs insist on an earlier date (for their own reasons); sometimes cruise lines give incentives (percentage off fare or cash-back or OBC) when a booking is paid in full early.

It's far enough out that we really do not know exactly what the true final payment date is/was.

beachchick

Gingee,

1. If your daughter booked thru an online agency, she must cancel through that agency. Period.

2. From the limited information you gave, it sounds like she is on the Norwegian Sky out of Miami on August 10, 4 days to Bahamas. (Only NCL ship on that date). NCL's policy is she can get a full refund up to 80 days prior which is TODAY. Her TA may have their own fees in addition, but she needs to contact them NOW to minimize fees she will be charged.

I fully realize she said she paid in full that does not mean she is past FULL PAYMENT DATE, that information was not posted.

Ahhh..... :D

Young love.

Now that we are all part of 'their story', please let us know if their love survives long enough for them to enjoy their cruise. :)

Good luck, Mom. Seems this might be a long summer for you. :)

Archived