Labadee

hazeleyez3

My husband and I will be in Labadee Jan of this year.

We don't enjoy lounging around on a beach, and we have started to avoid the little stores you find in the Caribbean.

It seems these are the things everyone talks about...is there anything else worth getting off the ship for?

If you're not into beaches, then just stay on the ship and utilize it! Labadee is a beach day...pure and simple. There is nowhere else to go...and there is a rather aggressive "straw market"...

The ship will have most areas open, and since the majority of folks will be OFF the ship, you should have a great, uncrowded day aboard.

You could always go ashore, check it out, and then head back to the ship. You can come and go at will.

Walk around the Labadee and take pictures. There are lots of very scenic photo op places. Don't forget to go out to Dragon's Breath and hear the weird sound of the ocean as it flies up through a hole in the rocks, then you'll know where it gets its name.

There is a free open air trolley that runs up and down the center of Labadee if you tire of walking in the sand.

January, in my opinion, is the best time of the year to visit Labadee. You will never get better weather.

You can go back to the ship anytime you want, so take a chance to check out the sights. Labadee is so picturesque. It would be a pity to never get off the ship.

• 4 weeks later...
Walk around the Labadee and take pictures. There are lots of very scenic photo op places. Don't forget to go out to Dragon's Breath and hear the weird sound of the ocean as it flies up through a hole in the rocks, then you'll know where it gets its name.

You can go back to the ship anytime you want, so take a chance to check out the sights. Labadee is so picturesque. It would be a pity to never get off the ship.

This is what we planned to do the first time we went. We thought we'd be off for an hour and then go back to the ship. We're not really beach people and didn't think we'd enjoy it. We got off just to say we say it. We ended up being one of the last people on the last tender back and planning another cruise that went to Labadee we enjoyed it so much. For us, even though we never got in the water, it was just so relaxing finding a place to watch and listen to the water and read a book that we never regretted getting off.

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Labadee Mid March 2005, on the Mariner of the Seas,

Our March break group will be there again March 2010 on the Celebrity Solstice

What has changed since then, is there more structures? when will the pier be complete? I am looking forward to the zip line

Please let me know everything!

We liked it before

We are planning on being in Labadee for May 2010, on the Liberty of the Seas. I would like to know, what are the prices for the different activities on the Island? Also, is there food and beverage on the island? If so, do you pay extra for that? Thanks. :)

We are planning on being in Labadee for May 2010, on the Liberty of the Seas. I would like to know, what are the prices for the different activities on the Island? Also, is there food and beverage on the island? If so, do you pay extra for that? Thanks. :)

There is a free BBQ lunch consisting of hot dogs, hamburgers, potato slad (I think) french fries, baked beans, fresh fruit selections, cookies and brownies if I recall correctly. There may have been ribs and fried chicken too, but I don't recall exactly. Iced tea is free.

As for prices for activities, I don't know because I just kick back on a lounge chair under some shady palms and read. Perhaps others here will know the prices.

deezee

these are as of 6/21/09. But remember this is RCCLs private location and everything (except market) can be found under excursions on their website.

Aqua park 15

mat 12

jet ski 95 driver

jet ski 29 passenger

parasail 79

kayak tour 38

water slide 20

walking tour18

dragon zip 85

There are some more guided excursions, but I think that covers most popular activities. I'm not sure about snorkel gear. Never found it.

Again, very relaxing location. Hammocks everywhere. Plenty of shade. You do not have to beach it to enjoy it.

"walking tour" $18!!! The area is not large. Why anyone would pay RCI for a "tour" is beyond me. However, Labadee is quite beautiful with some "ruins" and hidden niches, hills to climb for great views and of course, Dragon's Breath to see. We're eager to get back in Sept. I do wish RCI would quit building stuff there and taking up the landscape!

"walking tour" $18!!! The area is not large. Why anyone would pay RCI for a "tour" is beyond me. However, Labadee is quite beautiful with some "ruins" and hidden niches, hills to climb for great views and of course, Dragon's Breath to see. We're eager to get back in Sept. I do wish RCI would quit building stuff there and taking up the landscape!

My husband has taken the tour. It is led by a Haitian who gives you the history of Haiti, talks about the social and political conditions there, describes how much RCI has done for the local Haitians and says such things as that jobs at Labadee are highly prized because RCI pays more than many doctors and bank exectives earn in Haiti.

Hubby was glad he took the tour because of the additional information he learned about Haiti.

We were there in April 2008 and would never go back.My family did the zipline which they loved and it took hours to do.Other than that we were ready to leave.When you get to the top where you do zipline there are men with guns !Needless to say that freaked them out .The beach was very rocky and slimy.

When you get to the top where you do zipline there are men with guns !

So, is it safe to walk about the "town" by yourself with an expensive digital camera taking photos, or is it better to pay the $18 for the walking ship tour and be safer in an organized group?

What kind of VACATION stop is this if you worry about getting shot or robbed? I can stay at home for that! :(

So, is it safe to walk about the "town" by yourself with an expensive digital camera taking photos, or is it better to pay the $18 for the walking ship tour and be safer in an organized group?

What kind of VACATION stop is this if you worry about getting shot or robbed? I can stay at home for that! :(

You will be very safe.The guns are the way a lot of the islands arm their police force.They look more like our Army.Everytime you walk by a cop here, he has a gun.There is no town and they do have a flea market that by our standards can be "aggressive" but that is the way of the people.We have been there many times and never seen anything to feel unsafe about.

DH did the jetski and loved it. My son and his cousin did the zipline and loved it. I sat on the beach so DD could go on the slide and the aqua park and I hated it. The band got on my nerves and I ,also, am not a beach person. It's scenic and if you're not enjoying it you can always get the next tender back to the ship.

Barb

I sailed on the Freedom of the Sea last February and was so not impressed with Labadee. Of all of the ports I have visited it is the only one I have no desire to ever see again. I found Labadee to be dumpy and rather nasty looking. Royal Caribbean needs to put some more money into their private island and make a lot more appealing. In addition, the Royal Caribbean employees were not helpful. I planned on para sailing and we were taken over to the gathering site and just left there. Nobody bothered to tell us that it was cancelled that day. They also cancelled the lunch on the island that day but didn't bother to tell the passengers. People were taking the tender to the beach to have lunch only to have to turn around once they got there and go back to the ship to eat. There are so many better ports to visit.

I would caution you to verify what WILL be taking place on Labadee BEFORE leaving the ship.

By the way, iI you are interested in doing a zip line/canopy tour (I have done 4 different tours) you can' t beat the one on St. Kitts which is by far the best zip line tour I have ever done.

Wow........

Labadee is beautiful. We'll be going back for our 4th visit in December.

The guns post.........we have seen armed gaurds on many islands. Just walk right down the main street in Cozumel........

I say at least get off and look around..it's very pretty. I have also purchased some beautiful "smaller" paintings from a local there. They can be very aggresive but it all depends on how you handle them.

At least take a peek;)

I echo what many others have said - Labadee is a beach for sure, but it's a beautiful one. Sounds like some others have hit it at bad times - but it was beautiful when we were there. Pulled up a beach chair and sat under an umbrella all day, watching our beautiful ship out in the ocean from the beach. A lot less hectic than the pool on the ship, that's for sure!

I don't personally like the straw market, but I don't like 'chochky' stuff like that anyway - they were definitely no more aggressive than the folks in the market at Cozumel coming off the ship, and much less aggressive than the folks in the straw market at Dunn's River Falls.

We're going back in about 25 days, and looking forward to a quiet day hanging out at the beach, watching our son play at the water park, and relaxing for a bit. I'm actually not a beach person myself - I'm a redhead, so I fry in the sun - but I found Labadee a fabulous place to read a book and relax for a few hours!

We were on Labadee last week. I think we all agreed Cayo Laventando (sp?) in Smamana was a better beach day the day before. DD (who will be 14 in Dec) enjoyed the water park with some new firend from the ship. The Zipline is one long Zip over the water. Itis an RCCL excursion that sold out on our cruise. Everyone who did it seemed to really enjoy it. The mountain coaster looks like it is going to be a lot of fun (I can't wait to try that next year). As already note dthe food is a buffet from the ship - BAr are set-up and take your SeaPAss to pay for drinks. Soad cards work for soda (poured from 2 liter bottles). After the buffet closed, we had to buy a bottle of water because I could not locate any other source - the bar tender did not have any for free.

They are clearly doing a lot of constructionin anticipation of Oasis. I had read about the pier, dining area, and new restrooms but they are building cabanas near barefoot beach and the path to Columbus beach. Maybe that will solve some of the shade problems.

Be advised - you need water shoes if you are going into the water on Dragon's Breath Beach - lots of coral and stones. Initially, we had chairs under an almod tree on dragon's breath beach - the caribbean band became a little anoying and if he asked me one mopre time to buy his CD I don;t know what I woulkd have said (he did not take no for an answer).

We enjoyed floating with a mat off of barefoot beach.

Archived