Eastern Med Sea Conditions in July?

Can someone tell me what the eastern med sea conditions will be in July? We are going from Istanbul to Athens. Thanks!

about Athens... Average temp. is over 80F and after 10am some times over 100F!.. the "feeling" is 5-10 degrees more because of humidity.. the sky is almost clear but the sun is veeeryyy bad... you need hat, cold water and sun classes.. Wind at sea is easy.. some days as we say at Greece "like olive oil":D

Istanbul has the same conditions exept temp. who is 5-8 degrees less...

if you come at Athens after July 15th-20th you don't have problem with atmosphere because traffic.. all other days the atmosphere is like hell (special at city center, less at arhaelogical sites)... Isanbull don't has so big problems..

Hope this doesnt start something here, but can our local CCers comment on the eastern Med sea state in late August ??? 1st ever cruise and have been reading about the famous Meltemi (sp?) Have I any reason for concerns about mal de mare ?

Hope this doesnt start something here, but can our local CCers comment on the eastern Med sea state in late August ??? 1st ever cruise and have been reading about the famous Meltemi (sp?) Have I any reason for concerns about mal de mare ?

Good question... Meltemi is Turkish word (anchient Greeks use the word "Etisios" translated: yearly) and has this name because we "feel" this wind the same days every year last 2,500 years... start first days of August and ending first days of September.. some days the wind is very stong and many ships has problem at some islands (ex. Mykonos)...But these days are few in this period (3-5 days per year)... You will feel Meltemi only the day because night is calm "like olive oil or as flat as a pancake":D

Normally the name is "Meltemia" that means many Meltemi, because all summer we have a cool breeze "Meltemi" and August been stronger... The Meltemia is the best time for wind surfers..

Thanks for the answer. We just wanted to know what to expect. Didn't know if seasickness would be much of an issue. We will go prepared though!

We missed our Delos and Mykonos stops last September 10 due to high winds. The ship went to Milos instead, and we had a lovely afternoon at the beach. I still regret the Delos miss, however, and we are giving it another shot this June, arriving there on June 6.

I have a very queasy stomach, so I spent the morning on the pool deck, where I felt much better than in our cabin. (I also travel with Bonine, just in case.) I'll be a mid-ships cabin girl forever also.

We missed our Delos and Mykonos stops last September 10 due to high winds. The ship went to Milos instead, and we had a lovely afternoon at the beach. I still regret the Delos miss, however, and we are giving it another shot this June, arriving there on June 6.

I have a very queasy stomach, so I spent the morning on the pool deck, where I felt much better than in our cabin. (I also travel with Bonine, just in case.) I'll be a mid-ships cabin girl forever also.

sorry about that.. Mykonos has many problems after August..

the secret about your stomach is eat only cookies or bread without coffe or water... but the best secret is MATCHES!!!:p

if you have a match in your mouth (matche's "head" in mouth) you never have problems with sea!

the secret about your stomach is eat only cookies or bread without coffe or water... but the best secret is MATCHES!!!:p

if you have a match in your mouth (matche's "head" in mouth) you never have problems with sea!

??? :confused: Are you sure about that ?? .... you mean the end you light ??? in your mouth ????..... does anyone else know about this or is Fafos having a giggle with (on) us :cool: ????

??? :confused: Are you sure about that ?? .... you mean the end you light ??? in your mouth ????..... does anyone else know about this or is Fafos having a giggle with (on) us :cool: ????

yep.. Im complete sure... don't turn the match!! just put in your mouth like a lollipop.. don't eat or bite!!

nausea coming from one part of the brain affected by many factors (odor, taste, sight, etc.).

When we travel and we know about strong winds we follow these:

1. do not drink fluids... eat foods such as dry biscuits or rusks..

2. If you feel dizzy looking at everything away on the horizon and smell a lemon

3.The sitting area should not have strong odors (such as women's perfumes) and the air must be renewed

4. if dizzy easily drink 1-2 dramamines (dramamines named the pills for Greek, I don't know how say in English) 1 hour before start trip..

and offcource we use the watches secret..:D

It is impossible to predict what the sea is going to do anywhere in the world at any time of the year. That is why it is so wondeful.

We were in Istanbul in August and there was an earthquake and that had an effect on the sea in the area.

It is only possible to say what the likelihood is without any guarantees.

You'll be fine the time of year you are going, but I agree, the Meltemi can cause terrible problems. Before it had an airport, I got stuck on Naxos and missed my flight home because of it, but that was later in the year. Couldn't get back to Piraeus. What it does to the sea it makes up with in the sunbathing conditions though, its like having the a/c on at the beach.

We will be Sailing out of Sothampton to the Med. in July. I am more concerned about the 2 days at sea before we enter the Med. and the 2 back. Can anyone give us an idea about what we might expect for sea conditions for these days?

We will be Sailing out of Sothampton to the Med. in July. I am more concerned about the 2 days at sea before we enter the Med. and the 2 back. Can anyone give us an idea about what we might expect for sea conditions for these days?

I did it in early August and sailing down the Bay of Biscay was overcast, chilly, and a little rough -- not inordinately so, in my opinion, but then I don't ever feel seasick. I believe some people felt a little the worse for wear. So I'd go prepared if you're susceptible since I believe the Bay has a bit of a reputation for bad weather. The biggest bummer for me was the lack of sunbathing opportunity (those bloody clouds)! It got sunnier as we got closer to Lisbon, but the Atlantic is seldom flat as a pancake. On the other hand, you could have perfectly calm seas, you just never know. . . .

It seems that so many people have stories of unusual sea conditions. But for most folks the eastern Med throughout the summer is fine. For those of us who are familiar with sailing the Atlantic, or even the Caribbean when there is a tropical wave, the Med will seem like a bathtub.

For some reason, the Meltemi winds don't seem to affect the sea the way heavy winds do in the Atlantic or the Caribbean. We had a very windy day when we arrived at Mykonos and it made docking a bit of a struggle, but eventually we docked and spent a wonderful afternoon and early evening on the island, winds and all.

Two summers ago we spent a week on Crete and then took the hydrofoil to Santorini and stayed in a cottage in Imerovigli -- on the highest point on the island. The winds cooled the temperatures so much that we were cold when we came out of the pool. But the condition of the water in the Caldera was still calm enough to take a boat tour without being rocked about.

My guess is you'll have smooth sailing virtually all the way. but if you are nervous about sea-sickness, you might try wearing a patch behind your ear rather than suffering the side-effects of dramamine or even bonine. You want your first cruise experience to be wonderful in every way.

We sailed out of Southampton late last September to the Canaries, so we have had a day & a half before our first port at La Coruna, and a several other sea days, both on the way out and back. It was pretty much flat as a pancake all the time; actually a bit disappointing.

On the other hand, in 2005 we did the Norwegian Jewel inaugural out of Dover to Amsterdam & back ( a simple 2-nighter) and it was pretty rough coming back across the English channel. The ship was definitely rolling with seas out of the east/north-east, and she was hitting the waves pretty hard - quite a bit of spray landing on the promenade deck, forward, on the starboard side. That was in August. So you can never tell.

Archived