Automatic Free Upgrades for Elite?

Can anyone tell me if elite passengers are automatically entitled to one free cabin upgrade? So if we bought an oceanview, we would expect to be upgraded to a balcony? thanks for any help. Denise

That would be a wonderful perk, but no, it's not true.

Can anyone tell me if elite passengers are automatically entitled to one free cabin upgrade? So if we bought an oceanview, we would expect to be upgraded to a balcony? thanks for any help. Denise

No way, no how, sorry! :( Being Elite has nothing to do with upgrades at all, in fact, I think it hinders the upgrade process. Upgrades are normally more evident in passengers that haven't cruised on Princess much.

i've been elite for the past 10 cruises, got upgraded to a balcony 3 times just a couple of days before sailing, upgraded from an inside to an outside once...i was also upgraded the same amount of times before becoming elite so it really doesn't make a difference...make sure your reservation is marked "will accept an upgrade"

definitely dont' count on it, if it happens it will be a nice surprise :)

We've been Elite for the past 10 or so cruises... and twice been upgraded from inside gtee to outside (limited view).

Normally, though, upgrades are within the same cabin type... so we have often had Aloha or Baja deck inside cabins when we booked Plaza deck or gtee.

Don't count on an upgrade... it's nice when it happens... but be happy with what you pay for.

LOL. Pretty funny. And the answer is no. In all the time we've been Elite (and that's been the whole time the Elite catagory came into being), I think we've had two upgrades total. Even if they did a cabin upgrade, it would only be from one catagory to another; i.e. D to C, or BD to BC. Book what you'll be happy with and expect nothing. If by chance you do get upgraded, that would just be a bonus.

LOL. Pretty funny. And the answer is no. .

Why is it pretty funny? AT Celebrity it's policy, their elite members get a one category upgrade (and you pick your own cabin in the next category it's not random) when you book so it's not unreasonable to ask if another cruise has the same perk. I see people compare parks between cruise lines all the time.

Why is it pretty funny? AT Celebrity it's policy, their elite members get a one category upgrade (and you pick your own cabin in the next category it's not random) when you book so it's not unreasonable to ask if another cruise has the same perk. I see people compare parks between cruise lines all the time.

At Celebrity you book an outside and get a balcony? I don't think so!

I think what threw off some of us was that the OP seems to be Elite on Princess (as per the question) and after that many days/cruises on Princess, the question seemed a bit strange???? IMHO!

Sounds like a good upgrade if you can go from one type of cabin to another, i.e., inside to outside, outside to balcony, balcony to mini-suite or mini-suite to full suite. Otherwise, a 1-category upgrade is meaningless, i.e., it's all about location and you could be moved to the cabin next to the one you've booked if that's the only one left one category up. I assume from your comment that Celebrity Elite also get the free Internet, free laundry and dry-cleaning, mini-bar set-up, 10% off everything in any ship's store, priority disembarkation, etc. that Princess Elite get. IMHO, those are "real" perks.

It seems open to me. ;)

This comment, after I "closed" my own thread in an effort to give others a chance to put their questions forward. I thanked all who initially responded but certain posts are good examples of why some of these threads drag on ad toto (no pun intended Kansas, reattach your head) nauseum...........Who cares what Celebrity does, this is the Princess site and the original question pertained to Princess. Thank you Pam for pointing out the REAL perks of being Princess elite. The answer to the original upgrade question was clear: no, nyet, nay. Thank you, now shall we move on with more pressing issues - like where the new elite lounges with canapes served will crop up next?

Huh????????????? Sorry, but you lost me on that one! :o

Hmm, perhaps to jog your memory: I think what threw off some of us was that the OP seems to be Elite on Princess (as per the question) and after that many days/cruises on Princess, the question seemed a bit strange???? IMHO!

The "OP" has not yet experienced the elite service, but is looking forward to it on future cruises starting in July. I am realizing now that the ultra well-traveled Princess traveler who mentioned free upgrades to me was probably referring to a special deal he was getting through his TA for Platinum Elite passengers on a specific cruise. So excuuuuuuuse me, Toto. LMAO:p

Hmm, perhaps to jog your memory: I think what threw off some of us was that the OP seems to be Elite on Princess (as per the question) and after that many days/cruises on Princess, the question seemed a bit strange???? IMHO!

The "OP" has not yet experienced the elite service, but is looking forward to it on future cruises starting in July. I am realizing now that the ultra well-traveled Princess traveler who mentioned free upgrades to me was probably referring to a special deal he was getting through his TA for Platinum Elite passengers on a specific cruise. So excuuuuuuuse me, Toto. LMAO:p

Got cha! I honestly thought you had been elite for some time (had seen your picture in your post so much for so long), it's what threw me off with that question. Sorry 'bout that. :p

Glad we got that sorted out. I guess we never booked a cruise hoping that we would get an upgrade - seems like a recipe for disappointment. We book the place we want to be and if the "Upgrade Fairy" arrives, then great - at least we aren't disappointed if they don't.

Every upgrade has been to a mini because we always book a balcony and that has happened during being Gold and Platinum. After the next couple when we are Elite we might get lucky again and then, maybe not but who cares? We are on the ship and that's what's important.

Yes Greg, we've always done exactly what you do - reserve a balcony cabin because an oceanview would not work for us. My techie DH puts his GPS receiver out there, so it's a must even if we know the weather will be cold and we can't use the balcony as much as we normally would. But of course, I always love seeing the new ports from my own balcony.......Congrats on being so close to elite. You can imagine how happy we are! Denise

My techie DH puts his GPS receiver out there, so it's a must even if we know the weather will be cold and we can't use the balcony as much as we normally would.

I don't know if your husband keeps track of former cruises on his GPS but if he does tell him to check on his waypoints from a previous cruise & he'll be amazed at how close the ship follows the same exact route year after year to within sometimes 100 feet.

I am elite on Celebrity. You get a one category upgrade in the same type of cabin. For example, we book a oceanview category 6 and pay for oceanview category 7. I don't believe they move up a category from oceanview to balcony. Although, once we got upgraded from an oceanview to a balcony. That was nice but rare.

Archived