Is there an advantage to booking excursions prior to cruising?

lilfleck

With some cruise lines, you pay for excursions at the time you reserve them. We prefer that to keep our onboard account down (have everything paid in advance). We also like to reserve in advance so everything is lined up and I can leave my brain on the pier! It's vacation time!

........agree with all the other responses and also would add that many excursions have optional times (morning v afternoon, etc.) and booking early assures your choice of preferred time as well. And although you can typically book from your room via the room TV if you choose to wait, the lines at the excursion desk on board are typically long should you need to talk with someone in person. Best to book ahead and enjoy your time on board.

If there are certain "must" excursions you want, then book them asap to make sure you are not disappointed. Others can wait or you can go independent.

Also an excellent point. Many of the excursions can be done independently through local providers (easily found with a google search) or by renting a car and going on your own. In fact many of them are better - and certainly lest costly - that way.

Just that you'd be assured to get the excursion you want.

Although I do second the motion for trying out private vendors RECOMMENDED ON THE PORTS OF CALL BOARDS here on CC (versus just walking off the ship and purchasing a tour from someone standing on the dock).

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think we (my g/f and I) will definitely book the excursions we want to do the most and for the ones we're not sure, we'll just do the local ones.

How much cheaper would you say are the private excursions? I know they vary, but it seems like the average price for the Carnival excursions are around $100.

Most private excursions I've been on are about half of what the ship is charging with 1/4 of the amount of people.

The only tips I'd give about booking independently are A.) only book reputable operators that come highly recommended on the Ports of Call boards here on CC, B.) Give yourself a good time-cushion to get back to the ship IN CASE anything would happen (vehicles breaking down, etc.). We usually book a morning private tour, and spend the afternoon closer to the ship, exploring and shopping and grabbing some munchies or drinks near the pier.

Most private excursions I've been on are about half of what the ship is charging with 1/4 of the amount of people.

The only tips I'd give about booking independently are A.) only book reputable operators that come highly recommended on the Ports of Call boards here on CC, B.) Give yourself a good time-cushion to get back to the ship IN CASE anything would happen (vehicles breaking down, etc.). We usually book a morning private tour, and spend the afternoon closer to the ship, exploring and shopping and grabbing some munchies or drinks near the pier.

Great advice, thank you. I think we will enjoy the excursions and afternoon shopping.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think we (my g/f and I) will definitely book the excursions we want to do the most and for the ones we're not sure, we'll just do the local ones.

How much cheaper would you say are the private excursions? I know they vary, but it seems like the average price for the Carnival excursions are around $100.

You can save up to 75% by booking with an independent operator. The only thing is if you rent a car and it breaks down or an independent operator has problems and can not get you to the ship in time, the ship will not wait for you. But the chances of that happening is probably one in ten thousand or greater.

Hey guys,

I'm just curious if there is an advantage to booking excursions prior to cruising through the Carnival website.

Thanks!

The biggest advantage of booking prior to sailing is the ability to research and book PRIVATE. I've generally seen very few times that things sell out immediatly. If you are about to leave, just decide during the first evening and you'll like be good even for the most popular excursions. Remember excursion generate huge profits for the cruise line, the more they sell the more they make. Its likely in their best interest to offer the most popular to all of them ;)

Generally with private you get something equal to better quality for much less. Otherposters have noted that possible price savings, but more important then the price is the ability to avoid often the big bus affair that comes with almost all the ship sponsored tours. You simply save a ton of time and $ in port.

Enjoy your cruise!

The biggest advantage of booking prior to sailing is the ability to research and book PRIVATE. I've generally seen very few times that things sell out immediatly. If you are about to leave, just decide during the first evening and you'll like be good even for the most popular excursions. Remember excursion generate huge profits for the cruise line, the more they sell the more they make. Its likely in their best interest to offer the most popular to all of them ;)

Generally with private you get something equal to better quality for much less. Otherposters have noted that possible price savings, but more important then the price is the ability to avoid often the big bus affair that comes with almost all the ship sponsored tours. You simply save a ton of time and $ in port.

To be honest, I'm just worried about getting ripped off.

Yeah. Definately do some price checking then. :rolleyes: Ship vs. private tours. The only time I'd do a ship tour is if I couldn't book it on my own. Even if the prices are in the same ballpark, the herd of fellow passengers that are along for the ride is a total bummer.

To be honest, I'm just worried about getting ripped off.

That is a legitimate worry. Go to the ports of call thread for where you are headed and ask for recommendations. My experience with the European threads there are lot of people that can recommend a reputable guide. I picked everyone of them based on what I learned, no dissapointment and I will now only consider the cruiseline when there is no private alternative.

These guys depend on word of mouth for continued business so nothing like a happy customer to keep the business going.

Good luck planning your excursions!

Excursions such as Swim with the Dolphins book early, early. We waited and got THE LAST TICKETS. After 15 cruises, we still prefer to book with RCCL to ensure they absolutely, positively HAVE TO WAIT on us. On previous cruise, couple booked independent and the boat they were on had engine trouble. By the time they got back to the pier, our ship had sailed. The following day was at Sea, so they missed 2 days of their cruise and had to meet us at the next port at their own expense..therefore, no savings.

Excursions such as Swim with the Dolphins book early, early. We waited and got THE LAST TICKETS. After 15 cruises, we still prefer to book with RCCL to ensure they absolutely, positively HAVE TO WAIT on us. On previous cruise, couple booked independent and the boat they were on had engine trouble. By the time they got back to the pier, our ship had sailed. The following day was at Sea, so they missed 2 days of their cruise and had to meet us at the next port at their own expense..therefore, no savings.

Was it worth doing the Swim with the Dolphins? What is RCCL? Thanks!

Hey guys,

I'm just curious if there is an advantage to booking excursions prior to cruising through the Carnival website.

Thanks!

Yes and No, I went on a cruise a few years ago, then we bought the excusions and were told that we could not get there in time to use them. the cruise ship sent away the money to the tours, we never fully recovered all our money from the cruise ship. I heard recently that the Carnival Legend could not go to Isla Roatan because of the unrest there fighting in the streets. My friend and her classmates all college grads, lost alot of money in the zip lining and other places because the ship did not go there, it circled around the island for 3 hours wasted time and left.

So they never fully recovered the tours. I personally would not buy the packages unless you know you can fully get your money back. so what if its filled. Did you really want to spend 180.00 for 40 minutes swimming with the dolphins anyways?

I can take you somplace near me and you can sleep with them for less than 180.00 more like 50.00.

not on a cruise ship.

With some cruise lines, you pay for excursions at the time you reserve them. We prefer that to keep our onboard account down (have everything paid in advance). We also like to reserve in advance so everything is lined up and I can leave my brain on the pier! It's vacation time!

Well said! My thoughts excatly.

Happy Cruising

Archived