Beware: Transportation to airport in Vancouver

jocelysue

:(Cautionary advice:

If you choose Princess transfer to airport from ship thinking that Princess will handle your luggage from the ship to the airport, you may be in for a rude awakening.

Princess puts your colour-tagged luggage in the ship's terminal in Vancouver. You must fend:mad: for yourself while trying to find it; although theoretically all similar colour-coded luggage is placed together, chances are that your luggage will not necessarily be placed with similar colour-coded luggage and you will have to go on a search & discover mission. Do not count on Princess employees helping you out. That is not their job.:eek: Then you will have to find the trolleys, place your luggage on it (or them) & schlep your way , together with all your luggage, to find the bus that is supposed to take you to the terminal.

Should a Holland America ship have arrived in port at about the same time, you will find HAL agents helping their passengers find their way with both signs & personnel walking up & down asking their passengers what they are looking for.

They will even try to help out Princess passengers (O.K., so they both belong to Carnical Corp.; however Princess employees don't seem to be bothered to help their own passengers, much less those from HAL)

Purportedly, there are also some Princess employees slated to direct traffic.However, their main job seems to be talking & discussing amongst themselves & ignoring passengers who ask for directions.

At least this was the case on May 23rd when we had to wait almost 2 hours before a bus finally showed up to pick us up.We were silver-coded 3. Apparently, or so we were told, Princess had not hired enough busses for the transfers. It was the HAL employee who told us which line to stand in.

There were many elderly passengers in line; no chair was provided them to allow them to rest; no one was offered water despite the heat and the closed-in atmosphere.Plus, and I reiterate, even the elderly passengers were responsible for towing or pushing all their luggage. Nerves were fraught. Many passengers were afraid of missing their connections or of not arriving on time. Airlines require a 2-3 hour arrival period befor takeoff, but that was impossible to respect because of the delay in the busses' arrival.

When we finally arrived at the airport, no help was given any of the passengers to help them find a trolley for their luggage. Again, this was not seen a "Princess" problem. A Princess employee hopped on the bus at the airport but didn't explain suffciently that there were 2 terminals & who had to get off at each. So , once again, there was lots of confusion.

To be brief, passengers paid three or four times the price for their transfer from the ship to the airport than if they had taken the shuttle. Furthermore, the shuttle was more frequent.And the TROUBLE WAS THE SAME OR WORSE !(sorry, for the shouting)

So, please, before retaining a Princess transfer maker sure that you know what is entailed. If you have to do all the work yourself, there doesn't seem to be much point in using their services for the transfer unless you feel like paying a substantial amount extra for their services which ,IMO, are no better...and slower....that plain shutlle transportation.

Once again forewarned is forearmed.

I have only used Princess transfers three times, in different ports, and this was the same in each port. The passengers are responsible for finding their luggage and getting it to the bus. Sorry but that isn't anything new nor is it restricted to Vancouver.

Thank you for the heads-up, Jocelysue!

We were thinking of using the Princess luggage transfer from the ship to the airport when we take our fall cruise on the Sapphire out of Vancouver.

Now I'm wondering if maybe a car service or taxi, pre-arranged could maybe avoid this problem...? ok, off to do some research....

Forewarned IS forearmed. So, thanks!

We just used the airbus from central Vancouver to the airport, $10. Great. Picked us up from outside the Howard Johnson in Granville St after a few post cruise nights in Van. The airbus goes every 30 minutes from city locations.

Just us two Aussies on board plus a couple of backpackers. The driver was shocked when I gave him a couple of bucks tip.

IMO - the Vancouver airport on cruise days is one of the worst airport situations I have experienced (far too many times) for US people flying home.

Unless using US Direct (or whatever they call the program) - going through the main terminal in Vancouver is a nightmare on weekends during the summer.

I have seen what the OP has mentioned but in my situation, no cruise line employee of any line was helping anyone out. It was a fend for yourself for luggage with several cruise lines luggage all piled together.

I don't know if they are doing US Direct this year but if the cruise lines are, it is worth every $$$$ to avoid the main terminal on cruise weekends.

We were thinking of using the Princess luggage transfer from the ship to the airport when we take our fall cruise on the Sapphire out of Vancouver.

Now I'm wondering if maybe a car service or taxi, pre-arranged could maybe avoid this problem...? ok, off to do some research....

I would look into a limo. There is one limo company that has the Vancouver to DT contract. While I haven't looked at prices for a few years, the limo cost was not that much more then taxi prices. You do not need to reserve a limo, there are usually dozens at the airport waiting to be booked.

Vancouver is no different to any port that Princess sail into - the OP makes it sound like it is a Vancouver problem only. Fort Lauderdale and New York were my most recent arrivals in a port other than Vancouver and it was just as posted, find your own bag and trolley. For me the worst part was clearing immigration being non-US there were limited positions you could go through so the wait was long.

As for YVR being bad - it seems to be mainly due to not too many people stay in Canada and wanting to return to the US.

When we arrived off the Island 3 weeks ago the driver, as well as the Princess rep, got us to where we needed to go to by explaning where to go. Being Silver 3 meant we were domestic and there was no need to have anyone going to the international terminal. I will admit YVR is my local international airport so I could have done it without the rep. but even so it isn't as horrific as painted.

Vancouver is no different to any port that Princess sail into - the OP makes it sound like it is a Vancouver problem only. Fort Lauderdale and New York were my most recent arrivals in a port other than Vancouver and it was just as posted, find your own bag and trolley. For me the worst part was clearing immigration being non-US there were limited positions you could go through so the wait was long.

As for YVR being bad - it seems to be mainly due to not too many people stay in Canada and wanting to return to the US.

When we arrived off the Island 3 weeks ago the driver, as well as the Princess rep, got us to where we needed to go to by explaning where to go. Being Silver 3 meant we were domestic and there was no need to have anyone going to the international terminal. I will admit YVR is my local international airport so I could have done it without the rep. but even so it isn't as horrific as painted.

Maybe because you didn't go through the international terminal?

I have done the FLL airport, Miami airport and Vancouver airport many times. I have always had the longest wait times in Vancouver's airport. Maybe it is the combination of the international terminal and the poor staffing at customs/immigration but I have had it take 2 hours to get through lines during a busy cruise day in Vancouver. And that is often 2 hours of hauling the luggage for the better part of it.

Maybe because you didn't go through the international terminal?

I have done the FLL airport, Miami airport and Vancouver airport many times. I have always had the longest wait times in Vancouver's airport. Maybe it is the combination of the international terminal and the poor staffing at customs/immigration but I have had it take 2 hours to get through lines during a busy cruise day in Vancouver. And that is often 2 hours of hauling the luggage for the better part of it.

For the convenience of the airlines, all major Canadian airports have US Customs/Immigration pre-clearance before boarding. Any staffing issues are the responsibility of US Customs/Immigration.The advantage to the airlines (and peripherally to the passengers) is that the flight is treated as one more domestic flight at the destination airport. The disadvantage (to the passengers) is that it generally takes at least two hours (and often longer at peak times) from the time you arrive at check-in to the time you get to the gate. I always tell my clients to plan on arriving at the airport two hours in advance and three at peak times.

Last year on the Tahitian Princess, even without US Direct (not an option for our ship) our luggage was transported directly from the ship to the airport and we claimed it there (immediately adjacent to the airline check-in desks). The whole process was seamless and painless (although we still needed to clear customs after checking in our luggage). It's a shame it can't be handled this way for all incoming cruises, but then again the Tahitian is a tiny ship (and was the only ship arriving into Vancouver that day).

I would look into a limo. There is one limo company that has the Vancouver to DT contract. While I haven't looked at prices for a few years, the limo cost was not that much more then taxi prices. You do not need to reserve a limo, there are usually dozens at the airport waiting to be booked.

We were there on 5/23 after disembarking Diamond Princess and none of our luggage was "together". I got nervous at first, but did find it. It definitely was fend for yourself. Thankfully, I had called a limo service and he was patiently waiting for us. It cost us $80 for a transfer to our hotel but the peace of mind it gave me and not having to wait in the long crowds for the bus or taxi made it worth it.

We ended up using this same guy to take us to the airport. Van City Limo in Vancouver. His name is Ken and he was a peach!

Julie

We arrived in Vancouver on the Island Princess May 24. Our luggage was exactly where it was supposed to be. We caught a shuttle for less than Princess charged or a taxi. The shuttle desk was right where you exit after picking up your luggage. It was easy to find and we were delivered to the airport in about 30 minutes. It was completely stress free.

For the convenience of the airlines, all major Canadian airports have US Customs/Immigration pre-clearance before boarding. Any staffing issues are the responsibility of US Customs/Immigration.The advantage to the airlines (and peripherally to the passengers) is that the flight is treated as one more domestic flight at the destination airport. The disadvantage (to the passengers) is that it generally takes at least two hours (and often longer at peak times) from the time you arrive at check-in to the time you get to the gate. I always tell my clients to plan on arriving at the airport two hours in advance and three at peak times.

Thanks for the info - I didn't realize that this is done at all major Canadian airports (go through US Customs/Immigration before the flight verses after).

I know this sounds strange but whenever I go through this in Vancouver - it always seems worse then going through it in Chicago or NY after a European flight.

You are very wise to inform your clients about arriving early.

We arrived in Vancouver on the Island Princess May 24. Our luggage was exactly where it was supposed to be. We caught a shuttle for less than Princess charged or a taxi. The shuttle desk was right where you exit after picking up your luggage. It was easy to find and we were delivered to the airport in about 30 minutes. It was completely stress free.

Was it Super Shuttle that you used? If not, what is the name of the service and did you have to make reservations ahead of time or just walk up after disembarking?

we have flown into yvr a number of times on domestic and international flights. the immigration process is typically s l o w at least imo.

we have never had a problem getting a cab/limo and if i remember correctly the cost to dowtown hotels is south of $30.

I'm sorry this happened to you but, as others have said, this is nothing new for Princess and I don't know any different since I have 6 cruises with Princess and one with Celebrity. What bothers me in general, is when someone sees an elderly person struggling and doesn't bother to help when it's obvious that they can. They don't necessarily have to be Princess employees to do that.

We arrived in Vancouver on the Coral on May 18th, from Los Angeles. We had Princess Transfer to the airport. It was the smoothest, easiest transfer I have ever experienced.

We put our luggage out the night before, properly tagged with the Red 2 tags we were supplied. We did not see them again until we arrived at the airport.

We filled out our Canada forms, and they were turned in at the port, on the way to the bus, which was sitting there, waiting for us to board. A Princess employee came on board and explained what we would be doing when we arrived at the airport.

As we neared the airport, the driver covered the whole process again. He told us exactly where our luggage would be found, and advised us to grab a free trolly on the way as we pass some, as they were sometimes in short supply where the luggage was.

We walked to that point, entered an area that was supervised by Princess employees, and quickly found our luggage. We then took it to the airline check-in, along with the US Customs form we were handed when we got off the bus, and checked in for our flight back to Los Angeles.

From there we took our luggage with us until we reached the screening point and after it was checked we proceeded to the proper gate for our flight. Again, the next time we saw our luggage was in Los Angeles - but I won't go into the situation there, as LAX leaves much to be desired.

I am truly sorry for others who have experienced difficulties, but as I said, the Vancouver part was an absolute pleasure.

As the O.P. I wish to make something clear. One of my aims in this post was to inform others that Princess DOES NOT HANDLE luggage at disembarkation even though one has arranged tranport/ transfers through them. It might be prudent to find out ahead of time the cost of a shuttle from the pier to the airport (no matter in which port one disembarks) ) to decide whether the cost by the cruise line is competitive and worthwhile.

This is not necessarily known by all passengers (especially by newbies) who may think that the cruise line offers complete service until arrival at the airport when such is not the case.

The point is to please check beforehand what is entailed so as not to be too unpleasantly surprised. As I stated before "forewarned is forearmed".

I posted on the Princess board because my most recent experience was with them but this advisory holds true for all lines and ports.

CHECK BEFOREHAND.

We used the transfers with Princess and they worked perfectly. Sounds like this was a bad situation though and was a VERY busy day it sounds like in Vancouver. When we arrived, we were the only ship in port so that may make a difference.

We arrived in Vancouver on the Coral on May 18th, from Los Angeles. We had Princess Transfer to the airport. It was the smoothest, easiest transfer I have ever experienced.

Did your cruise disembark on a Monday - if so, that would explain why it was easier. It is the weekends that are a pain.

Couple of comments:

I agree with the OP. If you need help with your luggage then one should investigate alternatives. It's only $30 CAD for a cab to YVR for two people. I personally hate taking the buses, because it always has to wait for the slow pokes

In terms of the US preclearance line ups. Pre-clearance is demanded and staffed by the US in all major Canadian airports. Perhaps you should be lobbying your Home Land Security Dept. (or whoever looks after that sort of thing) to ask for a more streamlined process for US Citizens.

My guess is that it was implemented because non-citizens were showing up in the US without the proper documentation.

Immigration Lines are inevitable any time your cross an international border.

I will add here that your luggage should be uniquely marked so that it can be ID'd at a distance. We have marked ours in bright paint on all sides for easy finding.

Steve

In terms of the US preclearance line ups. Pre-clearance is demanded and staffed by the US in all major Canadian airports. Perhaps you should be lobbying your Home Land Security Dept. (or whoever looks after that sort of thing) to ask for a more streamlined process for US Citizens.

My guess is that it was implemented because non-citizens were showing up in the US without the proper documentation.

It isn't demanded, it is offered as a convenience so that Canada-USA transborder traffic can go directly from the major Canadian airports to domestic arrivals/connections in the USA and to US airports that don't have full international arrival facilities. However, if your flight uses pre-clearance, and almost all do, then you must use it. It does offer closer inspection of people entering the USA by air from Canada, but that isn't why it was implemented.

The US pre-clearance facility at Vancouver airport is heavily impacted by cruise passengers heading back to the USA. I live in the Vancouver area and frequently travel to the USA. The pre-clearance wait is highly variable, sometimes the waiting area is almost empty and other times the line snakes out from the waiting room, through duty-free store, back into the area behind the check-in counters. If you are leaving direct from a cruise, 2 hours is a good bet for minimum arrival time at the airport prior to the flight departure. If you miss the check-in cutoff time, even if you have time to get to the plane, you won't be allowed to board because US Homeland Security requires the data be provided to them a minimum time before departure.

Archived