Brain Picking time PLease!!!!!

Doughnut Dolly

I have cruised many times (25+) on Hal, RCLL, NCL,Costa, Celebrity, and Carnival. I have LOVED all the cruises and cruise lines, even when there has been a hiccup or two along the way (loosing luggage for 5 days) etc. But I still love to cruise.

My question is, I have never cruised Oceania, and I have been getting these flyers that sound wonderful, 2 for 1, free air, and $2000 off per cabin per cruise. When I called my TA to inquire about them, because to my mind they sounded like great bargains, he sort of pooh-poohed them and started talking about the hidden fees, that would then bring the cost of an Oceania cruise up higher.

As I write this, I realize that if I call him and tell him I am interested in taking a cruise (never giving him a cruise line preference) he never comes back with an Oceania cruise as one of his suggestions.

This flyers seem wonderful, and I was hoping that some of you who have cruised Oceania would let me know why the TA's don't really push them like they do the other cruise lines?

Is this something, that the next flyer I get from Oceania that catches my eye I should deal directly with Oceania?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

It must just be your TA. I did not get that response from my TA at all. When I found a promotional price in a brochure, called my TA and asked him to quote a total price for a particular category, he did. He called back with the price, remarked what a really good deal it was, and then the TA offered some OBC too.

It sounds to me that your TA sells mostly mass-market lines and does not know about this level of cruising. There are recommended TAs on he Oceania site that will give you great service and maybe an OBC. If you're looking fr the smaller ship experience try O you will love it.:)

While Oceania tends to be a bit more expensive than the other lines you cruised, there are no "hidden costs". Also, there has never been a better time to cruise on Oceania than now as they offer true discounts, not seen before now (due to economy). The slightly higher cost is more than justified, IMO, as the level of cruising experience (service, food, etc) is definitely above the cruise lines you mentioned. Most of us like the lack of formal nights as well.

Why not give Oceania a try?

BTW, the "free air" is not free - it is included in the price. If you are using miles to fly (or can get a better airfare than Oceania), you can get an air credit, thus saving more money.

You can book directly with O and then transfer the booking to a TA if you find a better price (very likely).

Well, my TA keeps trying to push me to go to Regent or Crystal or Silverseas!

It could be your TA is just a believer in lower cost lines...or, if they know you well, maybe it's that you come across as wanting low prices and they know that, despite the advertising, Oceania is not that...They could just be trying to keep you happy...

"Bargains" are relative...A brand new Lexus for $25,000 would be a bargain...but not necessarily for the guy shopping for a $15,000 car...

Here's the deal: Oceania IS more expensive, for the most part, than the mass-market big ship lines...but, it's also a different product...They have some aspects of the high-priced luxury lines but in some ways resemble the higher end big ship lines (like Celebrity or HAL)...You are getting a small ship, a relaxed but elegant atmosphere, excellent food and service and itineraries that can take you to smaller and different ports...They (along with the fairly similar Azamara) are really a different category...

But, for most people who have cruised only the big ship mass-market lines, they are sort of a move-up...The prices are higher...

BUT, to get people to move up, they have to market in such a way to make it sound attractive to you...So, they advertise "2-for-1, Free AIR"....But, as most of us know--NOTHING is ever "free"..."2-for-1" really only means the brochure prices have been set at double what they really want to charge..."Free Air" only means they included it in the price...and you can get a credit if you do your own air...

And yes, there are some high extras that go onto your bottom line price...That "free air" doesn't include some rather costly taxes and fees (also which come off if you do your own air)...Also there are taxes in addition to the cruise fare (I think they have recently changed to include the port fees)...There are some "optional" charges they'll put onto the initial invoice as well--insurance, transfers, etc....but you can opt out of these as well...

Their hotel packages are VERY overpriced...but the answer is "Don't take them--book your own"...

What you really have to do is ASK your TA to price it for you...as a comparison to some other selected cruises...Ask her for a bottom line apples-for-apples quote...either "cruise only" or "cruise plus air", similar category cabins...Check what, say, a 14 night Eastern Med cruise in May in a standard balcony cabin will cost you on Oceania...and check what a similar 14 night Eastern Med cruise in May in a balcony on Celebrity or HAL will cost you...Then YOU can see an apples-for-apples difference in the cost...and you can make the decision...

I am guessing that, even with the sales and specials and all, Oceania will price out as more...But, only you can decide whether that is a premium you are willing to pay--either to "try" it to see if it's for you...or for whatever reason...

Twice now, we have chosen to go with Oceania--and pay a higher price--for a particular itinerary and dates we wanted...To us, the price differential doesn't mean as much as the ports and dates...You can use whatever criteria are important to you to make the decision...But, if your prime criteria is price, you are likely to book with someone else...

Just tell your TA you really want that price quote...If your TA is unwilling to do that, they're foolish--go find a better TA...

It sounds to me that your TA sells mostly mass-market lines and does not know about this level of cruising. There are recommended TAs on he Oceania site that will give you great service and maybe an OBC. If you're looking fr the smaller ship experience try O you will love it.:)

I agree, clearly this TA has no knowledge of Oceania & is doing you a disservice. I highly recommend you look for a TA without blinders. Try Oceania, you will love it!.

I don't understand what your TA means by "hidden fees". If he means taxes and port charges, they are charged by all cruiselines; sometimes included in the price on the promotion, sometimes not. Granted, we are new to Oceania (we don't sail until Feb.), but we found booking our O cruise through our TA a simple experience even though she doesn't do a lot of business with them. She called Oceania, came back to us with a quote and a comment on what a great deal we would be getting. We agreed and booked the cruise. It shouldn't be any more difficult than that. If you are interested in sailing Oceania, then ask your TA to price out the itinerary you are interested in.

We've never been that caught up in the "apples to apples" comparison. If the price we are paying for something is worth it to us, we pay it, and don't worry about whether we got the best deal. Maybe that's why we aren't wealthy!:o:D

Also, perhaps your TA receives a higher commission from cruise lines with which he does more business. If he doesn't regularly book Oceania he will be at a lower commission status. A possible reason for steering you back to the tried and true.

Hello,

My travel agent was actually the one who saw the deal and brought it to my attention! Seriously, we were looking at another cruise, but she likes to do a bit of research and make sure it's a good value and offer other suggestions. She found a cruise on Insignia - June 5, 2010 - and jumped at it, told us how huge a value it is, etc...

So... not sure what your travel agent is up to. Might be time to at least test another agent.

-Tobes.

Also, perhaps your TA receives a higher commission from cruise lines with which he does more business. If he doesn't regularly book Oceania he will be at a lower commission status. A possible reason for steering you back to the tried and true

Very true.......Always follow the money ;)

I have cruised on Oceania several times. We just finished 49-days from Beijing to Athens. I booked my own travel insurance and visas. Quite the oposite is true. The only items besides what's on the quote are shore excursions, Spa and alcohol. No fees for onboard restaurants. In contrast to Carnival that seem to always have a fee for on-board items and activities. As to shore excursions, like most lines, you can get a better deal if you arrange them yourself. Once you have been pampered on an Oceania ship you will not want to go back to the mass-market cruise ships. The deals they are currently offer are great.

... Quite the oposite is true. The only items besides what's on the quote are shore excursions, Spa and alcohol. No fees for onboard restaurants. ...

I think some of you sort of missed what the OP's TA was really saying...maybe it's the wording "hidden fees"...

I don't think they were talking about things not included on a complete quote, confirmation or booking...

They were talking about items added above and beyond the brochure price, even with the "2 for 1"...

For example, the INITIAL advertised price for the lowest category inside cabin on my cruise was, at the time I initially booked, $4299 pp...but the initial confirmation (I originally booked this category before eventually upgrading) came out to $11,997.60...meaning there were an additional approximately $3400 in charges...

Obviously, a quick look at the accounting shows that the insurance, at $1067.60, was a large chunk of this....BUT there was still another $2332 in taxes, fees and other charges above and beyond the $4299 cruise fare.

You may say, well, do the visas and transfers on your own...but, from our experience cruising with Celebrity, for example, when using their air, they include the transfers...and, when the RCI/Celebrity ships visit Egypt, they arrange a group transfer--so no extra charge there either...

I think the OP asked their TA about Oceania based on simply seeing the advertising--2 for 1, Free Air...and the TA was merely telling them there were considerable additional charges FROM THE BASE CRUISE FARE...The TA was NOT referring to hidden charges on the ship like fees for specialty restaurants (which are also well disclosed in the literature by cruise lines that have those)...

Oceania also tends to get a bit more expensive with drinks being a little higher priced--plus an 18% added tip rather than the 15% found on most other lines...and on the shore excursion prices--if one uses them...same with hotel packages...and elsewhere...

Obviously, it doesn't matter that much to some of us....it is what it is...

And, no matter which cruise line one is interested in, they should ALWAYS get a complete price quote including all fees, taxes and extra and never rely on a brochure or advertised rate...

But, of course, that is WHY the OP went to their TA...and WHY the TA SHOULD HAVE supplied them with a full quote--so that they could decide for themselves whether or not they were willing to pay the freight. Only the OP can make the decision as to what seems worthwhile to them.

Sure Oceania is a great cruise experience...but NOT for everyone...We all have different standards and expectations...and we all have different budgetary concerns...

What a great handle (reminds me of CB days past). Even though they are not doing as well as expected, GO RED SOX!!

Thanks, I actually was a Doughnut Dolly, fresh out of UF and was employed by Red Cross in Korea, (1962- 1964). Loved the job and Doughnut Dolly was what they nicknamed us. Of course, Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, and Patriots, Bruschi is very very favorite, you should see him with his three little boys, what a great Dad he is.

Having lived in the San Jose area for 30 years before relocating to Nevada, my allegiance is with the Sharks - was a Bruins fan while growing up in Mass a long time ago. Hope the Sharks finally get their collective act together.

Hope this post doesn't upset those who don't approve of off topic posters!:rolleyes:

Having lived in the San Jose area for 30 years before relocating to Nevada, my allegiance is with the Sharks - was a Bruins fan while growing up in Mass a long time ago. Hope the Sharks finally get their collective act together.

Hope this post doesn't upset those who don't approve of off topic posters!:rolleyes:

I hope not - after all, we gave Doughnut Dolly good advice about O cruises.

I am a Bay Area sports fan all around - these are lean and difficult times for us local sports fans.

I hope not - after all, we gave Doughnut Dolly good advice about O cruises.

I am a Bay Area sports fan all around - these are lean and difficult times for us local sports fans.

I easily can top that: I live in Cincinnati!!!:D

Archived